Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Route 66

>

SeaGlass

Route 66
Old 09-20-2019, 07:29 AM

DH and I are going to start planning our trip down Route 66 for next summer or fall. We will be leaving from Maine. Is there a specific route we should take before we get to Route 66 in Chicago? Has anyone flown to Chicago, rented a vehicle and driven the route? Just checking out options.

Any specific places that were a "don't miss"?

We will not be camping. We will stay in hotels but are open to renting a cabin at an RV resort too.

Any ideas are helpful

SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 09-20-2019, 07:43 AM

There are plenty of websites that can help you plan your trip.

We were just on 66 for a piece of our Southwest road trip. I do think the El Rancho Hotel is a fun place to visit. https://elranchohotelgallup.com/
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 09-20-2019, 07:58 AM

Oh my goodness. You are so cool! I want to go on this trip with you . If it were me and I was mostly doing Route 66, I'd fly to Chicago and rent a vehicle mostly because it's a long drive there (almost a thousand miles) and it sounds like your trip is mostly about route 66.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Lincoln?
Old 09-20-2019, 08:50 AM

https://www.moon.com/travel/trip-ide...ield-illinois/
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-20-2019, 09:13 AM

I'd probably rent a vehicle and drive.

Quote:
We were just on 66 for a piece of our Southwest road trip. I do think the El Rancho Hotel is a fun place to visit. https://elranchohotelgallup.com/
Ah, my town of Gallup! I had my first teaching interview in that hotel Well, second teaching interview (but the job I took). The first was at Taco Bell down the block from the El Rancho.

My very favorite (New Mexican) Mexican place in the world is a block off Route 66 in Gallup.

I drove parts of the route (but mostly freeway) from the Chicago area to Gallup many, many times (visits to family and then returning home). Time permitting, we'd get on Route 66 for a while then back on the freeway when the road ran out.

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 09-20-2019, 09:47 AM

I will say we wimped out on staying at the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook AZ after we looked inside. We were 4 women traveling together, so you might feel safer with your husband. It hasn't been modernized at all. That is not uncommon among many of the Route 66 famous places. The front door seemed really flimsy and there is traffic all the time from tour buses and tourists who just want to stop, look around, and take photos. It's a famous place, so I'm a little sorry we weren't braver-we're not usually divas-but it just didn't give us a good feeling. We lost money when we canceled and walked away.

Last edited by Cassyree; 09-20-2019 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Motel, not Hotel. No interior doors.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Route 66
Old 09-20-2019, 12:28 PM

Make sure to stop for lunch at the Launching Pad in Wilmington, IL. It is home of the Gemini Giant. I used to teach in this town. The couple who purchased it has worked extremely hard to bring it back to life.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 09-20-2019, 05:26 PM

I did this route two years ago. Get the book EZ Guide route 66. It's really easy to follow the route. The RT 66 Adventure book is also excellent. WHen you stop at all the places mentioned in the books most of the shop owners will stamp your book. I went in the summer and stopped at the Blue Hole in New Mexico, and Sliding Rock park outside of Sedona. We stayed in hotels most of the time but spent a few nights in cabins at KOA's. We started from Chicago. There is a website that will map out your trip. You just put in how many miles/hours you want to travel each day. https://www.theroute-66.com/road-trip-planner.html We spent a few nights in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and Flagstone. There is so much to see. We spent 2 weeks on the road. It was a blast. A previous poster mentioned Gemini man. The ice cream place across the street was excellent. And if you are a union person, don't forget to stop to see Mother Jone's grave in Illinois. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Can't help
Old 09-20-2019, 05:33 PM

you in the Mid-west, but when you get to Seligman, AZ, be sure to stop for a burger and shake at Delgadillo's Snow Cap drive in. The Delgadillo family has been HUGE in keeping the Route 66 memories and nostalgia alive for many years. They are a great family, big on community.
Of course, you have to sing with Jackson Brown in Winslow!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Plan ahead and do your research.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:44 PM

Renting a vehicle one way is quite expensive and not as easy to accomplish as you would think. We found that out when we flew to Chicago and drove back on our baseball stadiums trip for my husband.

The issues we ran into were: 1 - not every rental car company will do one way rentals of a large distance. 2 - The ones that do are expensive. 3- You have to find a rental franchise that is willing to give a car up AND a rental franchise that is willing to accept a car. It was not an easy task. We had trouble finding a branch that would accept a car.

Our trip was only 5 days. We ended up with a very small car to keep costs down. It was still more money than we had originally budgeted for. Maybe we weren't realistic about the costs though.

letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote