Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What to do in Alfred,NY

>

klarabelle

What to do in Alfred,NY
Old 09-21-2019, 04:09 PM

My parents are visiting my niece At Alfred Universary the middle of October. Anyone been to Alfred, NY or the surrounding area? Any places to visit or great dining places?

TIA

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 09-21-2019, 04:46 PM

I'm from that area, originally! It's beautiful country, hills and valleys. I miss them so much, since where I live now is rather flat.

Unfortunately, the area is sorely lacking in "great dining places" and activities! But I will do my best to help out.

The biggest city nearby is Hornell, and it's nothing to brag about lol. There's a WalMart and an Applebees lol. But there is also a nice little restaurant called "Marino's" that my family enjoys. And the Italian Villa has been a staple in Hornell for over 30 years.

There is a beautiful state park about 20 minutes away in Dansville called Stony Brook. It has wonderful hiking trails and picnic areas (I don't know how agile your parents are......the hiking trail consists of many stairs made of stone).

If anything else comes to mind, I'll add to my post. Curious to see if there's anyone else on this board from that area!
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 09-21-2019, 04:55 PM

Okay, I have a couple more suggestions if they're willing to drive a bit?

There's a wonderful craft/farm market in Penn Yan, NY. It's about an hour's drive, but it is worth it (if they like that sort of thing!).

And if they do go to Penn Yan, they can do some winery tours on Keuka Lake. That area is so beautiful; Keuka is my favorite of the Finger Lakes.

Also, about an hour away (but not in the Penn Yan area) is Corning, NY. There is a wonderful Glass Museum that is quite well known.

If you can tell me what your parents' interests are, I may be able to help a bit more.

NJ Teacher

Letchworth State Park
Old 09-21-2019, 04:57 PM

If you can visit Letchworth State Park near Geneseo, I would do so. It is dubbed “The Grand Canyon of the East”. There was a restaurant there, not sure if it still is, called The Glen Iris Inn, so you could eat there. Not sure how far Corning is, but the Corning Museum of Glass is interesting.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Ruby07
Old 09-21-2019, 05:49 PM

Thank you. My parents interests lies in farmers markets and little shops. They would probably enjoy state parks. Museums would be of interest.

Ruby07

Old 09-21-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you. My parents interests lies in farmers markets and little shops. They would probably enjoy state parks. Museums would be of interest.
There aren't any "art" museums to speak of aside from Corning Glass, but there is a quaint little place called The Genesee Country Village and Museum in Mumford, NY. A friend of mine works there, and it's very charming. https://www.gcv.org/

klarabelle

Thank you for your help.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:10 PM

Thank you for all that helped me help my parents. It seems like a lovely place to visit.