Help

ARCHIVE

everyday math

>

Mrs.B

everyday math
Old 03-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use Everyday Math? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote

MalibuBarbie

Yep
Old 03-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been for years (first grade). We just got the new edition this year. What I about this edition is the fact that the all the teacher resources (math masters, teacher's manuals, etc.) are ALL ON A COMPUTER DISK!!! Our district installed it on our computers at school AND gave us a cd to bring home so I don't have to lug the manuals back and forth! LOVE IT!!! It's SO MUCH EASIER to find the math master that goes with a lesson. I find the pdf file and send it to the printer. I don't have to look through a book to find it, go down to the copy machine and make a crooked copy. It is AWESOME!

As for the rest of the program well....it has it's ups and downs IMHO. It has definitely taken some getting used to. The spiral approach is very different from the traditional approach of working on a concept for a week or so. You touch on many many different concepts every single week! The idea is that each time you come back to a concept, you build on it so that by the end of the year the kids should be secure with the concepts. Well, I wouldn't say it always works that way! I find myself supplementing by throwing extra oral counting, money counting, time telling into our calendar routine each day.

I think another HUGE part of the EDM program is their games. Concepts--especially addition and subtraction facts--are to be practiced in games. Our district math person is always stressing the importance of the games. When you have kids working with partners all over the room on the floor, it's hard to get to everyone and make sure everyone is engaged and playing the game right. I always model in a large group but as I think about it now, maybe I should be modeling a new game at the end of one math lesson, then model it again the next day before sending them off to give it a try.

I could go on and on...let me know if there is anything specific you were wondering about!

MalibuBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

teapot

Everyday Math
Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have used this program with my first grade students for a long time now. At first I did not like the program. Then, I had the chance to loop with my children. When I moved into second grade with the same children I really saw the value of Everyday Math. The reason behind the spiral became very clear. My life was made a little easier when our Kindergarten teachers started using Everyday Math last year.
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote