Help

Magnolia Room

Kindergarten teacher

>

monkey32

Kindergarten teacher
Old 07-28-2008, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher this year teaching kindergarten. (actually I taught 1/2 of last year as a first-grade "floater"). I want to use RC in my kindergarten classroom and was wondering if anyone has had success with this with the younger kids. I taught pre-school for 7 years, and we used a similar approach there, though we didn't call it responsive classroom. However, our student/teacher ratio was 6 to 1 which allowed for one on one time to talk things through. I will be all alone with 18-20 kids, so.....just don't know how it will work exactly. My co-teachers all use some sort of animal flipping type of system. HELP!!

AddieJ

It's for kinders too!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

YES!! It works with the younger kids. It's great to be able to start with the principles (like apology of action & hopes & dreams) when they are still little - they catch on to everything really quickly. And the morning meeting is perfect for kindergarten (any grade actually) because I already did a morning circle/gathering time and after being trained in RC, I had a better planned format to follow and the children LOVE it! It's a favorite time of day in our room. Our greetings focus on recognizing all the children and saying their names, which is so important in kdg. And the morning message gives us great practice with emerging literacy skills. Kindergarteners love creating the rules together too and the hopes & dreams reflect what's going on at their level of understanding - for example - a kdg h&d may be to learn to count to 100 or it may be to have a lot of friends or maybe it's to play basketball at recess (I accept any answer that has to do with something at school that I can help them to achieve somehow!) Kinders understand the "take a break" and "buddy room" and all those management things too - they just need a lot training, practice & positive reinforcement (just like everything else in kdg ) I've done RC by myself and it works.

It's totally for the younger kids as well as the upper elementary so I'd say go for it!

monkey32

Old 07-28-2008, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Cool! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

TrueTeach

Old 07-28-2008, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi, monkey32. I'm teaching kindergarten this year for the first time, also, and before that I taught first for one year and preschool for four years...very similar to you! I'm planning on implementing RC this year as fully as possible, and everyone else will be doing a very rewards/punishments type of discipline system. I will have a full time assistant, but she may not be supportive of my approach. However, I'm going to give it my best shot! I hope that we can share our experiences as the year goes on...and my year officially starts on Monday!! Take care!

monkey32

Good Luck
Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow! It's good to know I'm not alone. Are you worried about offending your team? I am a little worried about that, but I just don't think I could survive a year trying to work a management style that is not me.
Good Luck!

TrueTeach

Old 07-29-2008, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well, I am not too worried about offending anyone on my team, mostly because I know that my principal supports me. I chose to come to my new school because of the conversation I had with my principal about management, and I specifically asked her if I would be allowed to implement RC. She said yes. She even thinks of this as a "higher level" of management, which it is, of course! So I have her to back me up if I get any negative treatment from my colleagues. I don't think there are going to be huge problems, because we are able to choose/develop our own discipline policies. Last year, I was at a different school, and it was very strict in terms of the discipline policy...it was SOOO old school!! Talk about going against my personal philosophies!! I had a very disappointing year because I had to follow their punitive system, and of course I wasn't consistent with it! Luckily, I had a way out of the school, although I switched from a rather affluent population to an urban one. But, these kids need the RC approach more than any others!

Keep in touch, and good luck with your colleagues!

AddieJ

trueteach...
Old 07-30-2008, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

wow! your school year has already started, trueteach! How's it going so far? i can hardly believe my summer is going to be over soon...I don't start back to school workshops for another two weeks so right now my family's in London enjoying an "end of the summer" party! I'll be excited to hear from you.
QueenRosie

QueenRosie

RC in Pre-K
Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am in a similar situation to you, monkey32...I will be trying RC for the first time in Pre-K, at my new school. This board has been so helpful and the previous responses to your post are very confidence-inspiring. I am just starting to read Teaching Children to Care and hope I have it all "right" for the first day of school! I have a few weeks but am a little worried too.

Inventor56

Inventor56

Teacher turned Inventor
Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I invented a great classroom tool that is helping raise test scores, keeping kids engaged and environmentally friendly- saving teachers time having to grade papers to see where a child is. It is a 2 sided hand held dry erase paddle- yes I am "Putting the Paddle Back in the Classroom!" - in a positive way. I would be happy to send you samples on the KleenSlate Paddle and I love supporting other teachers. Just send me a note to Julia@kleenslate.com and mention you are a teacher in the subject heading.
Have a great rest of the year and if you need any help on tips for keeping your white boards clean or how to get dry erase out of clothes- just ask! My hats off to teachers!!!!