Help

Retired Teachers

"Why did you stop teaching?"

>

Coopsgrammy

"Why did you stop teaching?"
Old 11-29-2018, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I mentioned to a woman earlier today that I taught first and second grades for 30 years. She asked why I quit teaching... I responded, "I taught first and second grade for 30 years." I think she got it the second time around.

Coopsgrammy is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Quit Teaching
Old 11-29-2018, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have asthma and when I get a cold it goes into a respiratory infection and or a sinus infection. I can't get over it without antibiotic and prednisone. I was getting between 5 and 8 of these each school year. I was mostly well during the summer months. The prednisone (steroids) were really getting to me and not all antibiotics were working for me anymore. I was beginning to see the writing on the wall.

My doctor asked when I was planning on retiring. When I told her four more years she said I might want to consider an earlier date. She also told me I would not be sick as often. So I retired.

I had only two infections my first year of retirement and one the next. So far this school year I have had none so far. It is so nice being well most of the time! I really appreciate that final push from my doctor to make the right decision for myself.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I also taught preschool and first grade
Old 11-29-2018, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I loved teaching those students. In my last 2 years of teaching, I found I was writing plans and making sure I was teaching the exact way that was meeting the standards and the program the administration bought and would evaluate me on and not what the students needed or wanted to explore. I found there was no creativity, little joy and when that special moment to teach something the students were focused on and excited about I had to go back to the plans to meet the objectives and ccs.

It became just teaching and not educating. It was all about the curriculum and not about the students and I knew I had to move on.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

musiclover

I was ready
Old 11-29-2018, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was sick most of the time (like PP said), the curriculum and the principal sucked. I felt like a robot who got dressed each day o go to a place that had changed so much I hardly recognized it.

And don't even ask me about developmentally appropriate standards and curricula.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

Oh-snap54

Old 11-29-2018, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Iím glad two of you posted that you got frequent illnesses. Each year I had to use all my sick leave for bronchitis and I felt like other teachers were judging me. I did everything I could do for my immunity but I guess the germs are just too plentiful in a school. I feel better knowing I wasnít the only one.

Oh-snap54 is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 11-29-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Chipmonkey.....you said it so well! Those reasons you stated are the very same reasons why I left teaching. I did love it so much in the early days when we could be creative and fun and children LOVED school. I pity those poor kids now being subjected to so much testing and scripted lessons. I'm so glad I left when I realized I no longer enjoyed it.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

leaving teaching
Old 11-29-2018, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had co-directed a group home for 5 years, had a day care for 9 years, before I started teaching 1st grade. When I started teaching the curriculum was very formatted, but I added so much of my creativity to it and evolved it over the years. When Common Core came along it sucked the fun out of 1st grade. When I had the 2nd neck surgery I was suppose to go back May 1st and finish the school year. The surgeon wouldn't approve my return to school- I was MAD!!!! Looking back I should have retired after the 1st surgery.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Time
Old 11-29-2018, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I knew it was time to retired when I taught and slept, and very little else!
SusaninNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 11-30-2018, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Years ago I set a date for my retirement in my mind. It was so far off that I didn't think I'd make it that long. Well, 41 years in, and I made it. I had the last 11 years out of the classroom, so I loved what I did, and I left on a high. I'm not sure I would have made it that long if I stayed in the classroom.
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 11-30-2018, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Like many of you, I got tired of all the state, local, & national mandates. Principals & other admin dictating when I should teach what subjects and what page I needed to be on. All we were doing were giving tests and more tests!

I taught for 43 years grades !,2,& 3. My original goal was to complete 45 years, however, I just couldn't take it anymore. I wanted to go out on a positive note & my last class was a good one. I put more fun into my teaching & guess what? The kids really learned!

jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-30-2018, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I absolutely LOVE your response !

The year I retired things were getting really difficult and stressful with our DD who has bipolar. I was constantly getting called to the school because she was being bullied, was suicidal...list goes on. My mom was starting to progress with her dementia to the point where she was not going to be able to live on her own and my class was one of the most behaviorally challenging groups in my 31 years! I think someone was trying to tell me something.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

Family!
Old 12-01-2018, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I was planning on working indefinitely. Betty White was my role model. I couldn't think of any reason to step down. The my first grandchild was born in November 2017. Of course I knew she was expected long before the school year began, but I thought I would continue on as planned.

Then, as the school year started up, with
1. a greatly expanded class size (26 first graders!)
2. new district administrators who were not supportive of teachers (see #1 above)
3. a very challenging student (fits, throwing things, hitting, spitting, etc.)

Somehow, my thinking about teaching did a sudden U-turn. I realized that I wanted to stop, and retired at the end of the first semester. SO happy with that decision!

Spend loads of time as a hands-on grandma.
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 12-01-2018, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I loved teaching, and still miss it. But I didn't love all the things that went with being a teacher- hovering parents, paperwork, paperwork, paperwork that just kept increasing, constant assessments... Sometimes I felt like there was very little time left during the day to actually teach!

I also retired so my husband would. He was miserable in his job, was working 7 days a week, and was doing the same work he did when he was 20. Physically and emotionally he was shot! He had two siblings die of cancer. I was afraid he would end up becoming seriously ill before he had a chance to enjoy life. So--we both retired, sold our house, bought a fifth wheel and took off! I still miss teaching, but we have had lots of amazing adventures!
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote