Help

Retired Teachers

Christmas decorating in retirement?

>

Renea

Christmas decorating in retirement?
Old 12-02-2018, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you decorate for Christmas as much as you've done in the past?

I used to love decorating but find it more of a chore in the past few years. We had a dinner party at our home last year so I spent time making things as perfect as I could. This year it all seems like too much work even though I love having my house decorated for Christmas. I wish the Christmas elves would simply appear and do it for me.

If you've simplified your Christmas decorating, what have you done to make it easier?

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Decorating
Old 12-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Nothing has changed with decorating now that I'm retired. I always put up a Christmas tree, a wreath on the front door, and stockings on the fireplace. Quick and easy is the way I like things.

Last edited by travelingfar; 12-02-2018 at 01:28 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-02-2018, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did simplify because I downsized. I gave all of my beautiful ornaments and lots of other stuff to DD and DS (amazing how they pass on some valuable stuff, but they wanted all of Christmas).

I kept most of my many Santas and my mini-tree with mini-decorations. I guessed right. The Santas and tree look great here. I had company yesterday and they raved. The most time-consuming part was putting the ornaments on the tiny tree. Itís all right here with me in the living room and it makes me happy. I love it!
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 12-02-2018, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Amiga, I love your collection on the window ledge! It's perfect!

I may get a few winter things out that can stay out for winter. We're having company for New Year's Eve so I should keep that in mind. We celebrated last year with a group of eight friends and they asked to repeat it this year. It's sort of a "you survived" tribute to DH after his health issues. That gathering will give me the motivation to decorate a bit. I'm feeling "caretaker tired" even though things are easier now.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Christmas Decor
Old 12-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Since the kids are grown, I've simplified a bit.

Lots less baking!

Fewer decorations, and what I do is easy - a couple quilted Xmas wall hangings, ceramic Christmas trees, and my Swedish Christmas things. We switched to an artificial tree a few years ago as we used to make a day of going into the forest and cutting our own. Without all the kids here, it didn't make sense. I would consider foregoing the artificial tree, too, except our special needs adult daughter looks forward to it and takes great pride in putting it up herself.

I still put the electric candles in the windows. Our house lends itself to them, and they look so nice as we drive up the road. (Sure beats putting up outside lights too! )

Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 12-02-2018, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've switched to a smaller tree so I don't need to ask for help putting it up. Other than that, I'm doing much the same type of decorating.

I enjoy a decorated house at Christmas and the grandchildren enjoy seeing them too. I don't enjoy putting them up as much as I used to. I never enjoyed taking them down and putting them away.

I'm still in my full-sized house. I'd like to simplify and downsize, but there's no place I'd want to live where I could live as cheaply and well as I do now. So for now, I stay put and continue the Christmas traditions.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Christmas Decor
Old 12-02-2018, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We put our tree up the same way. But it is now stored in the garage rather than the attic. That is just too dangerous for us old folks.

Then we hang a wreath on the front door.

We are done!

No outdoor lights. No decor on the lawn. No fresh garland on the FP mantle.
So much easier.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Retirement decorating
Old 12-02-2018, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We still do the whole shebang....just finished, in fact.

But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Itís getting harder and harder to drag the bins down from the attic.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 12-02-2018, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Well, last year I didn't put out everything. When I got home today, DH informed me my skinny tree may not fit in our living room. We'll see what happens.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

At DH's insistence,
Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

we simplified Christmas decorating about 3-4 years ago by setting up a tabletop tree. Smaller tree = few ornaments. I had been putting out fewer decorations around the house for quite a while, so the number of things haven't changed.

It has been more than difficult for me to admit that I haven't had the energy to decorate with beautiful things. What I am trying to do is put out the things that give me lots of pleasure looking at them.

I have a small collection of snow globes and music boxes that I put out.

We rarely decorated outside. I've kept the lights just in case

Last edited by Hideeho; 12-03-2018 at 03:41 PM..
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-03-2018, 02:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This year I am definitely simplifying. Maybe I will have more of a desire to decorate next year...but a new, smaller house and the loss of dh mean I don't have as much space, or as much heart for decorating as I used to do.

I got out the menorah and the advent wreath that dh made. Menorah is in my bedroom window. Advent wreath is on the kitchen table. No Jesse tree...I gave away the ornaments. No Advent calendar. No place to hang stockings for St. Nicholas day.

My kitty chews on things like wires, so I think I will avoid strings of lights in the windows this year at least. I did put some solar lights on the back porch, but they are a bit disappointing.

I got an artificial tree because I can set it up myself. I put a lovely wreath on each door. I don't decorate the tree till at least the third Sunday of Advent, but I will start plugging in the lights at night.

Dd and her dh invited me over yesterday to see their beautiful tree and other decorations. They are going all out! Since they are in my old house, I did enjoy seeing their nice decorations!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 12-03-2018, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I put out all of the usuals- I love it! And this year was so much less stressful, being able to have the time to do it, and not try to get it done on the weekends only. We have 2, 3 and 6 year old grands- and they are the perfect ages to be mesmerized by Christmas.

We do a twelve foot live tree- and dh and I wrestled it in to the house and treestand by ourselves (often previously have asked/paid a neighbor teen to help). We may have to give that up in the future- but dh loves it.

We also ask this neighbor teen to help get the decoration bins down out of the garage attic. (Yes, we have two grown married sons, but they roll their eyes when we ask them to help with this- their suggestion would be to stop doing it if we can't handle it ourselves). So the day will come that we keep things simpler.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote