Help

Retired Teachers

Recitial update:

>

Catdog12

Recitial update:
Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It was a packed recital at a local church. I was doing GREAT until I hit a wrong note that I had NEVER hit before! That threw my mind into a tizzy, so close to the end, I went blank and finished as best I could!

I can teach a lesson in front of tons of administrators, but performing on a musical instrument was a "horse of a different color" for me! I'll be more experienced at the next one.

Those of you that play, sing, dance in front of others, I tip my hat to you! It isn't easy!

Catdog12 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Performing gets easier
Old 12-16-2018, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

with practice. You have more experience with teaching. Right? That is why you can do a teaching demonstration in front of others with no problem.

So keep taking music lessons if it brings you joy. With each recital it will get a little easier.

So what you missed a note or hit the wrong note. The important thing is you did not just give up and stop playing. You kept going and concluded the piece. Very good! That is exactly what a good performer should do.

Next time if you feel really nervous ask if you can go a little early and play at the place where the recital will be held. Sometimes being in the actual place for a practice session can really help boost your confidence by making you feel more at home.

Last edited by 1956BD; 12-16-2018 at 10:48 AM..
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-16-2018, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

(((Catdog)))) I officially love you. I love people who admit mistakes and move on. Iím cheering for you.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Performances
Old 12-16-2018, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Congratulations on your progress!

During practices, I'll give myself two chances to make the same mistake. If I make it the second time, it gets marked (circled, note name written next to it, the word LOOK next to it, etc). During a performance, it will ALWAYS be something you've never done before.

It happened today. My organist friend/keyboard partner and I did our annual Christmas concert for the second time. We played it Friday evening at his work church. Things we've never done before happened. It happens. You have to train your face to look like: Yes, this is exactly the way it is supposed to sound. WE knew there were issues and where they were but people in the audience told us afterward that it was the best Christmas concert we've ever done.

I hope you'll stick with it!
KeyKid is online now   Reply With Quote

canteach

Proud of you no matter what!
Old 12-16-2018, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am impressed you only made one error. Nobody's perfect after all.
I would be a mess if I had to do something like it. My knees & hands would be shaking the entire time. I won't ever have to do it because I cannot play much of anything.
I am so glad you were able to finish the piece. That has to build your confidence for the next time. I also think you will be less freaked out the more you do recitals.

canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 12-18-2018, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We went to a church service this past Sunday evening that was just filled to the brim with awesome music.

One young man, 30's maybe, playing the guitar and singing, obviously started substituting words that he forgot for a part in one of his songs. I thought his whole performance was wonderful, ad libs and all.

I am so happy for you that you performed. I would love to take piano lessons, too.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 12-18-2018, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you, all, for your encouraging comments. I can always count on y'all.
Catdog12 is online now   Reply With Quote