Help

Retired Teachers

Been crunching the numbers (longish)

>

WalkDontRun

Been crunching the numbers (longish)
Old 01-05-2019, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

And I think I can join the ranks of the happiest board on PT in June! It would make a lot more financial sense for me to work one more year till I'm 65, but I just can't do it. I'm stressed and exhausted--you can read my post under the Special Education Board titled "Another Special Ed Teacher Bites the Dust" if interested in details. I didn't want to muck up this happy board with my lament!

Anyway, the biggest factor tipping the scale for me was that I calculated that I will have over $22,000 in cash out funds from my sick leave that can be applied tax-free to health insurance premiums and medical expenses until I reach Medicare age--less than a year from retirement.

I also have a decent nest egg that I can tap into for monthly expenses until I turn 65 and can collect my pension and Social Security a year later. I plan on subbing about 10 days a month--kinda look forward that that. I love my current school and can easily sub that many days monthly.

Like many of you, I have been surrounded by the loss of family, colleagues and friends who left this world much too soon--I'm really feeling the "Life's too short" mantra! I'm ready to begin my next adventure and make the most of this next stage of life while I am healthy and able-bodied for the most part!

WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

All Sounds Good
Old 01-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are going to love retirement! Staying up late, sleeping late, pursuing hobbies, eating breakfast slowly when you are ready, eating lunch out.....
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote
TchrFvr
Old 01-05-2019, 06:21 PM
This message has been deleted by TchrFvr. Reason: Off topic...

travelingfar

Yay!!!
Old 01-06-2019, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's great that you will be retiring in June. Retirement is absolutely wonderful. Sunday evenings are relaxing, you can go grocery shopping and to appointments any time, and you have the time and energy for new activities.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hooray, so glad you’ll be coming to our happy place. I couldn’t love retirement more.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 01-06-2019, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The rest of the year will be so much better, now that you made a decision. You'll know that what ever you do, it will be for the last time. You are going to love retirement as much as we do!

readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

goazcats

Old 01-06-2019, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sounds like you've really thought it through. You will love being retired for so many reasons. Just the simple task of grocery shopping when everyone else is a work is amazing. Like others have said, making appointment is easy now. Congratulations of making this decision!
goazcats is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Sounds well-thought out...
Old 01-06-2019, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That is a great sick leave pay out! I received my district's maximum plus a bonus for notifying them early, but it was only a bit over $7,000, and it was taxed.

Not sure if you are able to have a free pre-retirement consultation or have already done so, but I went to my state's pension and benefits office and it ws very beneficial. The person there projected what I would have earned in my pension if I remained teaching another year forward, and it was not worth it financially for such a small additional amount.

I retired in June and it has been the BEST decision ever. All the stress, worry and general tiredness are gone. It is such a pleasure to truly control your own time with things that bring you pleasure. Good luck to you. I hope everything works out for you.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

learnforever

Cheers to a New Beginning!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Congratulations on deciding to join the happiest group of teachers anywhere! I read your post on the Special Ed PT board. Bless you for all your hard work with your students and their teachers. Here in CA we can’t sub for 6 months after we retire so double check on any of those “double dipping” laws. Enjoy this last semester and get ready for never ending Sundays!
learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

A caveat
Old 01-08-2019, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Do check the fine print in your sick leave cash out. I was SUPPOSED to get a 25% cash payment for unused sick leave when I retired, but got 12% instead because there is a dollar cap on the total amount that can be paid for sick leave cash out each year for the district. The year I retired, there was a rush for the door. Everybody got a pro rated percentage of the total available money.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Subbing
Old 01-15-2019, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I signed up to sub and was approved at my retirement. I didn't think I'd sub, but didn't want to go through the application, fingerprinting, and board approval process if I changed my mind.
Well, long story short, I love it! I do what I love about teaching and go home. If I don't like a class, I don't go back. I don't sub on days I have something fun planned. I don't do long terms. Some pay periods i work more than others. You will be able to work your 10 days, no problem. I could work everyday, but I'm retired! 😃

maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Good for you
Old 01-15-2019, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I subbed with the same attitude as Maxwell for one school year. I had a blast accepting jobs in grades, subjects and schools that were ew to me. I learned a lot about myself as a teacher. It was the most rewarding thing I did in my career. I now enjoy my time going to the gym and doing exercise classes.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I subbed for a few years
Old 01-16-2019, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

after retiring and mostly enjoyed it.

As a retiree, you get teachers you know requesting you because they know you have the teacher glare mastered (to say nothing of the curriculum).

The interesting thing was that I got a $3/month bump in social security benefits during the four years I subbed. Still collecting those bumps some years later. so I figure I've recouped the SS "contributions" taken from my checks.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote