Help

Retired Teachers

How did you know it was time to retire?

>

maryteach

How did you know it was time to retire?
Old 12-26-2018, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I keep going back and forth. I think I will retire in June, but I'm not sure if I should. I think I have guilt about not working, to tell you the truth. I've always worked.

I'm 64 and won't be 65 until October. I have worked for over 40 years, 18 years in teaching. I am not too tired of the kids, or the parents. I actually still like that part (not enough to be a sub after retirement, though). It's admin and bureaucracy that's making me think it could be time, and admin doesn't even pick on me! But there are so many new programs, new initiatives, and I am not kidding you when I say I cannot find ANYTHING on staff shared! I'm 3 years in this district and their electronic file system is just a labyrinth to me. Am I getting old and stupid? I think there are colleagues who are becoming tired of helping old me find things on there. I go to meetings and they tell us to grab a chromebook and then I cannot find what we're supposed to be looking at without someone helping me. Embarrassing, but true. Technology makes my job so darn hard.

I am in very good health, apart from some hearing loss. I have no chronic pain--no arthritis anywhere, no illnesses that I know of. My MIL told me yesterday that as long as I'm doing so well, maybe I should keep working. Sounds reasonable, but isn't that a good reason to retire now? I'm in good health and can afford to go. I wonder if I shouldn't go now so that I am assured of some good time to enjoy. I would hate to work another year or two or three and then retire when I'm sick or get hurt. It's possible I'll have lung cancer or COPD in my future, as I smoked for 30 years (quit 20 years ago). I started this year with a yearly CT scan for lung cancer. So far, so good.

But there's this guilt about not working. My husband is 12 years younger than I am, so he's not retiring yet. I think I feel guilty because he'll still have to go to work every day, and for quite a while, actually. I feel guilty to think of staying home in the warm house while he schleps off to work, about watching Morning Joe instead of getting myself in the shower, about having the luxury to take a nap sometimes. And to be honest, my husband, while a wonderful husband, can sometimes get a little bit resentful about something like this, even though it's really not logical. We've been together 31 years and I've been reminding him from the beginning of our relationship that some day he's going to have a gray-haired, retired wife while he's still a working man. That someday I could be truly old and in need of care while he's still healthier. To be fair, he's also a Type I diabetic, so we may be finishing this race at about the same time anyway.

So, if you got this far, thanks for reading. How did you know it was time to go? Did you always have the date set from way off, or did you decide a year or so before you went?

And I just saw, after I posted, that is board is exclusively for retired teachers. Please excuse my intrusion.

Last edited by maryteach; 12-26-2018 at 01:17 PM..
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

When to Retire
Old 12-26-2018, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I decided to retire four months before I actually did so. I was burnt out from testing pressure, entitled parents, nonstop data gathering, useless paperwork, ongoing new initiatives, and difficult, toxic coworkers and administration.

Retiring at age 58 was the best decision I ever made. I worked for 37 years (25 of them as a teacher) and was ready for the next phase of life.

I've been retired for three years and am happier than I have ever been.
You shouldn't feel guilty about not working if you are ready to go. Good luck making your decision.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 12-26-2018, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

These are questions retired teachers don't mind answering. I taught 35 years. The first 13 in IL where I kept my $. Then in AZ I had to get 80 points. Your age plus the # of years taught. I needed 58 + 22. I knew I was done at that point. I felt guilty for a short time but then thought of all the extra hours I put it. I love retirement!
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: how do you know when it's time...
Old 12-26-2018, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mary teach- Good evening.
The fact that you are seriously questioning whether it's time to retire is a good indicator that it may very well be time to go. I found that up until the last year or two I taught, I never even thought about retirement.
Then over the last two years, I knew it was time to go.
I can totally relate to your difficulties with the technology which is becoming more and more central to school operation. My last district went online and everything from attendance to grades to parent/student contact and inservice activities were done on computer. I hated that last couple of years.
If your money situation is acceptable, then retirement is a lot easier decision to make. About your husband still working, well, I can't help with that, but it might be a very important point to keep in mind.
It's not an easy decision to make, but being miserable in a very important job is not good for anybody.
Good luck- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

When?
Old 12-26-2018, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"I've been reminding him from the beginning of our relationship that some day he's going to have a gray-haired, retired wife while he's still a working man."

Well, I suggest you color your hair...then you are just a retired wife.
I knew it was time when I quit really enjoying myself. It just wasn't fun anymore. I am only 55, and retired from teaching after 30 years. However, I wasn't ready to totally retire, so now I am a receptionist at a credit union. I love my job. I do not miss teaching at all...just Christmas and summer breaks.

Last edited by Coopsgrammy; 12-26-2018 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: skipped word
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 12-26-2018, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I checked all my finances and insurance to be sure that I could retire comfortably. I also wanted to leave at a time when my coworkers would be genuinely sad to see me leave rather than happy to get rid of me! I wanted to retire on a high note so to speak . I retired at 57 with 33 years in the same district.

As for feeling guilty while your DH goes to work—- wouldn’t bother me at all. My DH retired before me and got the luxury of the house to himself while I worked. I don’t think he appreciated it as much as I would have— I love my alone time.

I also work part time for my old district, but will completely retire at the end of this year.

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

When to retire...
Old 12-26-2018, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I retired in June a month before my 64th birthday. I knew it was time to retire because the workload in my district seemed to increase exponentially each year. As you mentioned, they thought nothing of rolling out new programs before we barely had a chance to incorporate and fully understand the old ones. I did not feel that some of them were even developmentally appropriate for primary children, but once again, we had no choice. They had coaches who had taught a fraction of the number of years the veterans had coming in for days at a time (mandatory sign-ups, we had no choice) and the literacy coach even tried to do a writer's notebook group during lunch! We had to do things the district's way with very little leeway for personal creativity. I felt like clone. And the student population was getting more challenging, as well.

Of course, all of these initiatives took hours of planning time both at school and at home. I found if I wanted to see a movie on the weekends, or Heaven forbid, travel somewhere, I had to stay late on multiple days to accomplish this. Added to this was an evaluation system that eliminated tenure and we also were required to do a documentation log before the end-of-the-year summative evaluation, which also added to the workload, stress and pressure. And endless data collection which had to be submitted to the principal quarterly. My principal and I were never at loggerheads or anything, but I never felt she respected my thoughts or ideas and i felt increasingly marginalized by her while one teacher at my grade level walked on water. We had an odd number of teachers at my gradelevel, and I felt like the odd person out. I also was one of the older teachers, and didn't really connect on a friendship level with most of the others, although they were lovely people.

I also went to my state's pension and benefits office and did the math with the representative there. It is so important to make sure financially you can do it before you put your paperwork in.

As for retirement itself, just because I'm not working doesn't mean I'm not busy. The difference is that this time, the focus is on myself. I go to the gym multiple times a week, have lunch group with other retired teachers from my district, participate in local 5K races, read books and spend time with my dog. I have friends who volunteer, and that is rewarding for them and I have also had time to travel at off-peak times of the year because I can. I too have had friends and co-workers not retire when they could or retire and get ill suddenly and then are not able to enjoy it. Some have even passed away. I felt that since my mom had a stroke at 67 that incapacitated her and my dad had cancer shortly after he retired, I wanted to go sooner rather than earlier. I truly was ready, and I put my paperwork in during the month of October. Once I did, I felt liberated.

Good luck making your decision. If you still love the job and the kids, their is nothing wrong with asking for help with the technology and continuing to teach. Some teachers are intuitive with it, others are not. We had a real whiz at our grade level, and she was invaluable to me and my colleagues with anything that needed to be done with the computer.

I truly believe when you're ready, you'll know.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 12-27-2018, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I keep going back and forth. I think I will retire in June, but I'm not sure if I should. I think I have guilt about not working, to tell you the truth. I've always worked.

I'm 64 and won't be 65 until October. I have worked for over 40 years, 18 years in teaching. I am not too tired of the kids, or the parents. I actually still like that part (not enough to be a sub after retirement, though). It's admin and bureaucracy that's making me think it could be time, and admin doesn't even pick on me! But there are so many new programs, new initiatives, and I am not kidding you when I say I cannot find ANYTHING on staff shared! I'm 3 years in this district and their electronic file system is just a labyrinth to me. Am I getting old and stupid? I think there are colleagues who are becoming tired of helping old me find things on there. I go to meetings and they tell us to grab a chromebook and then I cannot find what we're supposed to be looking at without someone helping me. Embarrassing, but true. Technology makes my job so darn hard.
You and I have so much in common, Mary. I taught 40 yrs up till last June. I still loved the kids and parents for the most part. But all the new stuff seemed to be coming exponentially each year. I worked in Fla. and they are determined to run most of the good teachers off to enact their per(version) of public education. Sorry for my rant. I worked outside for most of that 40 in PE. Luckily, my schools were so small I was able to teach inside till about 10 each day. How did I know it was time to go? People like you and I who love it are never sure. But I think you made the case I decided. You want to enjoy retirement in good health. I knew the sun had done a number on me all those years (but my dermatologist says IM good) so I needed to finally get out of the sun. Like you my spouse is younger (15 yrs) and she works. There is no need to feel guilty if you can afford it. My fix for kids is I go tutor a few days a week and mentor a kid at the local HS. The one thing I am positive about in regards to my career is that I made a difference for lots of kids. I am sure you did, too. I thought I would miss it much more but I mostly miss the routine, being part of a team, the day to day interactions but I love it when I look outside and its cold and rainy and I am not the PE teacher that day. I think you will like retirement. But you gotta have routines and things to do. good luck
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-27-2018, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So many thoughts swirling in your head:
*emotional. I loved my job, really loved it, but felt in my bones it was time to retire. In 2.5 years I haven’t missed teaching once. But I have often thought how elated I am to NOT be doing something (like your tech misery, I hated meetings).
*husband. DH retired 6 years before me and it was just fine for both of us. Think of the small favors you’ll easily be able to do for your husband simply because you have time.
*financial. Very important to be certain you're financially secure.
*guilt. Many of us can find guilt where it doesn’t belong. Enjoy the retirement you’ve earned.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 12-27-2018, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I taught for 41 years, but the last 15 I was out of the classroom, and I loved my job. I was ready to stay, but I hadn't had a raise in a few years. When I found out that if I stayed another year, my retirement pay really wouldn't change, I decided to retire. I thought that teaching defined me, and I would be lost with nothing to do in retirement, so I was really nervous. How wrong I was! I could be busy all the time, but I can pick what I want to do. It is so freeing not to set an alarm to wake up in the morning, to not have a strict schedule, to not have to answer to someone else, and I am just a much happier person.

You have given so many good reasons to retire. I can't tell you to retire - that's your decision, but I can say that I hope you join us sooner than later!

readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Time to retire
Old 12-27-2018, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I knew when I realized the joy of creativity was being slowly sucked out of my job. I gazed down a few more years and knew I was going to implode over all the tech that was coming and a new program for something every year.

Frankly, I was tired of the b.s. as it was finally outweighing the fun and good.

Go to your district/county retirement meeting and get your financial ducks in a row.

Do not feel guilty....there is absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. DH is a big boy...he can handle it.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Retirement
Old 12-27-2018, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Some very good anecdotal information given by previous posters...

I chose to retire a year past when I could for full retirement. We figured out that the difference between my monthly paycheck and what would be my retirement check was less than $100. That was such an eye opener!

My ducks were in a row, we knew how insurance was going to work for me...there was no reason to go through the stress of teaching for a difference of less than $100/month.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

retiring
Old 12-27-2018, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
But there's this guilt about not working. My husband is 12 years younger than I am, so he's not retiring yet. I think I feel guilty because he'll still have to go to work every day, and for quite a while, actually.
My Dh is also quite a bit younger, and will be working for a long time to come, but that hasn't stopped me from retiring while I could still enjoy life outside of work. He was actually the one who encouraged me to retire. I thought I would feel a bit guilty, but once I retired, I never looked back. DH enjoys my new love of healthy cooking and baking artisan bread, I am able to join him on long business trips, and I now have time to take better care of myself. When I was teaching, I was so dedicated to my profession that I tended to neglect my own health.

There are so many advantages to being retired besides being able to take care of my health. I don't have to worry about "new" (basically recycled but renamed) programs with all the professional development that goes with them, admin who look at anyone older than 45 as old-school, staff meetings that are mostly a waste of time because admin was ordered to hold them by the district admin, having to take all of the most challenging students because "you are the only one who can handle them," and so on.

I love my retired life, being able to travel, join a bookclub, going to the Y during the day when it is quiet, doing Zumba and tai chi, walking and hiking with friends, making fun new recipes, dabbling in art and quilting, and even decluttering (which will be ongoing for quite some time).
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

DodgersFan

Old 12-29-2018, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Don't think about guilt. Think about Sunday nights.
DodgersFan is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-29-2018, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
Don't think about guilt. Think about Sunday nights.
Thank you, DodgersFan. Best advice ever!
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

mistydawn

Starr
Old 12-29-2018, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I lived through TEAMS, TASS, TAKS. When the state decided on a new state test, I decided that it was time to retire. I was always assigned to the grades where the test would be given, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
mistydawn is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 12-29-2018, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I retired when I just knew it was time to do the things I always wanted to do but never could because of the time I spent at work. My list had over 100 things to do on it. It was my turn for the good life.

There is such a wonderful world out there to explore. You have given 40 years to education so allow yourself to do whatever you want to do. The world is your oyster so get out there. Its your time and you deserve it.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

It hit me hard
Old 12-31-2018, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I got a “save the date” postcard from a dear former student that was also my DS best friend. The wedding was in La Jolla in October and we live on the east coast. I knew my principal (from hell) would give me grief for taking time off. That event made me retire that June. I have had no regrets. As much time as I gave to school I doubt they ever missed me and vice versa. I love my retired life. My DH and I are living comfortably and saving money because we don’t spend much. We also moved to a resort area that is so relaxing in the shoulder season.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

Coopsgranny said it all...
Old 12-31-2018, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

She loves her job as a receptionist at a credit union! So if you still need to work, or have structure, or routine (even finances) go for it. Then make sure you update us here !
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Healthyandfun

I desperately wanted time
Old 01-01-2019, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

And flexibility. I planned my retirement far in advance. I saved money every month in a 403b to help give me choices when I retired. I read books about retirement and sketched out what I might do with my time. I paid off all my debts. When I paid off my mortgage, I kept saving the same amount and built up a large cash reserve/emergency fund. I read all the information on the district and state websites regarding retirement. I reviewed all the forms as the time came closer. I figured out the pension formula and investigated which option would be best for me. I asked retirees lots of questions especially about healthcare. I saw some things deteriorate in the workplace, but tried to avoid the craziness as much as possible and weathered initiatives I felt were not in the best interests of the children. I loved the children, loved teaching, and loved most of my colleagues and parents. I found the admin to be tedious and some parents had crazy demands, but I did enough to appease them. I revisited my financials the summer before and made sure I had all the pieces comfortably in place. I decided to retire when it was best for me. I yearned for time and flexibility and have savored every minute. It has been five year and I thank my lucky stars that I did all that planning. There Was/is a transition period to adjust to retirement. I did miss the children and my colleagues, but not anything else. I have built an awesome life. I’m glad I retired when I did.

Good luck making your decision!
Healthyandfun is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 01-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Healthyandfun, you said exactly what I feel - I desperately want time and flexibility. I am just tired and want to have a life instead of teaching consuming my life. I love the actual teaching and the kids, but I'm done with everything else. I am retiring in June and I'm counting the days.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 01-07-2019, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I also felt like my life was being consumed. Lesson plans, report cards, emails, new programs...My dad got sick and my class was challenging which also helped me decide. I did a seasonal job from Sept to mid December and just started a part time job at the library today. I don't have to think about work at home, but I've met many nice people and enjoy having a place to go each day. I don't dread Sunday night!
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

ABBA

I'm so glad i retired!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Teaching and all the baggage that went with it was taking over my life and I was so unhappy. I never had time just for me because I was always had work in my school bag to take home. Every night there was always something that had to be done for school and I was always counting the days until the weekends. I had a principal that didn't know how to treat people respectfully and who many people referred to as a bully. I also was so tired of all of the extra paperwork and projects that our district administration required of us. You will love being retired. All of my stress has disappeared!
ABBA is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 01-13-2019, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

For many of these posters combined reasons, I've decided that 2020 is my last year. Generally, our health doesn't improve with age so, I'd rather retire with my health intact and enjoy my time. My DH will also still be working and the house runs smoother when I'm home: probably because I'm not as stressed about what I have to do. I'm looking forward to my free days.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote