Retired Teachers

Early retiree here!

>

bobcat

Early retiree here!
Old 12-23-2018, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here's the quick story

I'm 50 and my husband is 67. He retired from teaching 10 years ago and I retired in June. I taught 27 years and absolutely LOVED my job, even the very last year I was there. When people find out I retired already, they can't believe it and ask me what I do all day. It makes me a bit uncomfortable and I feel the need to justify my choice, which I shouldn't. I also feel like I should tell them that I volunteer my time and have started some new hobbies. Why do I feel the need to say these things? I'm afraid that a lot of my identity as a person was wrapped up in being a good teacher and now that I don't have that, I feel like I need to prove my self-worth. That's something I'm working on daily.

I know it's a common question to ask a retiree what they do with their time. I'm not knocking that, I'm knocking myself for feeling guilty and/or feeling the need to provide a rationale. I'm 50 years old. When do I stop worrying what others think? Thanks for reading and for any insight.

bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

What do you do all day?
Old 12-23-2018, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When someone asks what I do all day I say the following.

It isn't about what I do, it is about what I don't do anymore.

Last edited by travelingfar; 12-23-2018 at 12:35 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 12-23-2018, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was a young retiree too, so people usually seem surprised to learn that I’m retired. I get that question a lot! What do you do?! “Whatever I want.”

An aside...the second most common question—do you travel? Like that’s all retirement is for. Like people can just travel all the time. Like life can’t be full with hobbies and activities and people at home.
GlacierRose is online now   Reply With Quote

bobcat

GlacierRose
Old 12-23-2018, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes! We get the travel question a lot! I tell them I'm retired and on a fixed income! I can't afford to travel now!!!

MathWA

Old 12-23-2018, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I retired at age 60 I got that same “what do you do all day” question for about a year or two. I finally decided that most of the people that asked that were probably not in the financial positon to retire and they didnt really want to know what I actually do all day. Instead they were hoping that I would say that I was damn bored and wished I hadnt retired. Bummer for them because I love retirement and was happy to pass on that sentiment. Its AWESOME!

MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-23-2018, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I finally decided that most of the people that asked that were probably not in the financial positon to retire and they didnt really want to know what I actually do all day.
I agree. I also think people ask because they want to share your joy. And I think people ask about travel because often people say they want to “retire and travel.” I really do think they’re just making conversation. Of course, very little bothers me these days because I’M RETIRED.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

bobcat

Old 12-23-2018, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yep. I think it's a standard question. I'm going to just go with "Whatever I want!" and not feel so guilty. I loved reading all of your responses. Thanks for sharing your positivity. May you all continue to enjoy good health and a happy retirement for many, many years!❤

NJ Teacher

Welcome!
Old 12-23-2018, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

How wonderful that you and your husband were able to retire at a fairly young age. I retired in June at age 64. I was invited to go out to lunch monthly with a group of retired teachers from my district. One of the retired teachers is a lovely woman, not from my school but someone I had met my first year in the district, although I hadn't seen her in many years. She kept asking me what I was going to do in retirement. Honestly, when i retired, I was stressed and tired and wanted to do absolutely nothing in the beginning, and that was perfectly fine with me. In my retirement life, I go to the gym, read the books I couldn't get to when I was working, enjoy my dog, work on de-cluttering the house, travel a bit, go to movies and relax. i also have the time to do different day trips and go to some craft shows. I am so happy for you. I have seen too many people delay retirement, only to develop an illness and/or pass away before fully enjoying it. You and your husband deserve that time to enjoy life and do whatever you want, no matter how little or much it may seem to others. You definitely do not need to prove anything to anyone.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

My answer...
Old 12-23-2018, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I say, "I'm allowing my retirement to unfold."
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 12-23-2018, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just turned 60 and retired a year and a half ago. When people ask me that, I say I do whatever I want to! Which includes spending time with my 7 month old grandson, reading, sewing, and snuggling with my dog. Oh, and spending time with DH!

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 12-24-2018, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When people ask me what I’m going to do I say, “I’m going to enjoy my family instead of worrying about someone else’s kids.”

I do understand what you mean by
Quote:
I'm knocking myself for feeling guilty and/or feeling the need to provide a rationale. I'm 50 years old. When do I stop worrying what others think?
Many of my friends say that they are jealous that I’m able to retire at 55. I usually say, “You’ll get there sooner than you think. “

Very few people have said that they are happy for me. The ones who are happy for me are already retired. The jealous ones have many more years to work.

Just remember, whatever someone says is about them and less about you.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

ABBA

Old 01-09-2019, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When i told people at my school that I was going to retire last year after working for more than 30 years some people looked at me like I was crazy. One woman said "Why are you retiring and What will you do?" My reply was "Because I can and I'll do whatever I want to!"
One teacher friend of mine actually told me that I was retiring too early. I told her that everyone has a different situation and that I knew it was time to go.
Don't worry about what other people say. Enjoy your freedom.
ABBA is offline   Reply With Quote

wocknwubby

It's a journey
Old 01-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I tell folks I am thrilled and each new day is a journey. (I can now sleep till 10:30 a.m. if I want. Eat lunch at 4:00. Stay up till 12:30 or 1:00 a.m. reading. I have no schedule except for doctor's appointments.) Then to ones close to retirement I invite them to join me. To those who are early in their careers, I reassure them that their day will come while wearing a wide grin on my face.
wocknwubby is offline   Reply With Quote