Help

Retired Teachers

Christmas spending

>

JanetL

Christmas spending
Old 11-30-2018, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Are you spending as much as when you were working? I'm trying to watch it this year. I'm living on a small budget and my costs seem to be increasing. I'm trying to think of simple gifts to give.

JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

musiclover

I am not
Old 11-30-2018, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Single gal here, I am budgeting carefully for gifts. Still debating (struggling) whether to get gifts for my 2 adult children, who both make way more money than I ever did!!

One of the luxuries of retirement has been looking at gifts since June in stores and online and purchasing these as I can. It allowed me to save even more and get some fabulous deals.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Old 11-30-2018, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My sister has the greatest idea for her adult children. Instead of buying a gift from the store, she makes a big batch of their favorite soups and freezes them in containers. Each child gets their favorite to take home and enjoy throughout the winter. She also makes them a batch of their favorite cookies. They love it and would be unhappy with anything else.
twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Spending Less Overall
Old 11-30-2018, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I spend the same for each of my adult sons as they do not make much money and I buy them mostly practical items. For example I bought quality towel sets at Tuesday Morning for each of them. On Sunday I am getting each of my sons a small gift certificate at Target as they are having a one day sale on gift cards. They will find that in their stockings with some candy that I get after Halloween. And I also put a couple of new tooth brushes in there stocking ever year that I usually get with coupons.

But as an extended family we are drawing names now so that is a savings.

I buy a Christmas gift almost every month when I find a sale or markdown. Spreading out the purchases is helpful for cash flow.

I shop at Good Will and thrift stores too. I bought my sons some glass food storage containers this year. They are the old fashioned kind where the lid is glass too so they are easy to sanitize in the dishwasher. They will last longer than the plastic ones and won't get food stains.

I make gifts as well. I am taking art classes. Art is my new hobby. It is a fun pastime for me and then the product can be a gift. (pottery, fused glass, board signs, mosaics and clay)I also make some gifts from the kitchen like a tin full of cookies, a jar full of dry ingredients to make hot cocoa or soup and include the recipe. Last year I made some of those fleece tie blankets. They involve no sewing and I bought the fleece when it was on sale. This year I bought a 10 inch loom to make potholders. Did this as a kid and they are very long lasting potholders. So I made a few as stocking stuffers.

I also have saved a few of my children's special childhood toys. This year I am going to wrap one for each boy and give it back to them. Hopefully it will evoke good memories. Plus It will help me get rid of old junk.

Hope I said something helpful.

Merry Christmas!
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-30-2018, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We decided as a family to do only stockings this year. We drew names, and I gave each person a $50 bill for the purpose of buying stocking stuffers. (These are biiig stretchy stockings!)

I know they will be exchanging gifts in their nuclear families too...but I am off the hook as far as any gifts go, since I financed the stockings.

This particular family tradition might have to change a bit once we have a little one in the local family...or maybe “Santa” will fill the little one’s stocking and s/he won’t even notice. Not sure. We can probably continue for a couple more years with no repercussions, anyway. For now, it helps all of us with out budgets.

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

potter403

Old 11-30-2018, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love this idea. My oldest would really enjoy that. Thanks for the idea.
potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 11-30-2018, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I bake gifts for our friends- Italian cookies and other treats. Gift exchange with DH’s and my family ended years ago since we are spread out in several states. DH and I do a few small gifts. We have everything we need at this stage in our lives and really don’t need more stuff.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

Yes
Old 12-01-2018, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am spending about the same as when I was working since my income is about the same. I have added two daughters in law, however. My list, sadly, is getting smaller since my parents have passed away and we quit buying nieces and nephews gifts. However, I love shopping and buying gifts and look for unique gifts when I travel. Since I now have daughters in law, I'm not sure if I should spend the same amount as I do for my sons. I have been very generous with them and get them each several gifts and finish with cash. Maybe this year I will give a check addressed to both of them together.
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 12-02-2018, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We spend about the same as before retirement. My family puts their wishes on Amazon lists so I can easily pick and choose what I'd like to give them. We've had some health issues in our home and gift giving logistics are complicated. I'd love to just give money this year but my family loves opening gifts together.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote