Help

Retired Teachers

Prescription Cost

>

ZipLine

Prescription Cost
Old 12-09-2018, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Thought I would share an experience that taught me quite a bit about the wide variance in prescription cost as it could possibly help if something like this happens to you.

I recently had to refill my prescription for potassium at CVS. The cost has always been $10 for 60 tablets (30 day supply). My doctor put in a new prescription for a 90 day supply (180 tablets) so when I went to pick it up I was shocked when the pharmacist said the cost was $84 and cents, not $30 as it should have been! I rejected the prescription and the clerk said she would double check on the cost. It had been run through my insurance.

Long story short, the pharmacy was out of the potassium supplied by the pharmaceutical company that they have always used to fill my prescription so they used another company. There was that much of a difference in cost!!! The clerk said they could order from the company they had been using but it would take a few days. No problem! A couple days later, I picked up the 3 month supply for $30. Saved over $50 by asking questions and not just accepting the prescription at the inflated cost. It may have been the case of name brand vs generic.

The day after I picked up my prescription, I got a mass email from CVS pharmacy that included the statement that their pharmacists look for the most cost effective means to fill prescriptions. I had to laugh because now I know not to count on that and the need to ask questions. We are our own best advocates!

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Check out Costco pharmacy. We have found the best prices there.
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-09-2018, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you, MathWA. Iíll definitely do that.

cvt

prescriptions
Old 12-09-2018, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Definitely shop around.

Quote:
Check out Costco pharmacy. We have found the best prices there.
One of my FB acquaintances posted a few days ago that she went to CVS to have a loved one's prescription filled and walked out in tears because it would cost $2049. After she posted her experience, someone suggested Costco, and sure enough, it was $217.00 at Costco. This price difference is really outrageous.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 12-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Whoa! Costco's sound amazing. I wish we had a Costco in our city.

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 12-09-2018, 09:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do the mail order thing. I have been wondering if they shop for the best price because they have different manufacturers sometimes.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Mail Order
Old 12-11-2018, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Iíve never done mail order because I donít like the idea of the meds sitting in the mailbox, especially since it gets very hot here in the summer. Probably not as big a deal since Iím retired now and home a lot so maybe I should rethink that and check on cost.

NJ Teacher

Mail order..
Old 12-11-2018, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are forced to use mail order because of our retirement insurance plan. I prefer picking up my meds at the pharmacy, but the first time I went to get my meds, I was shocked at how much more expensive they now were because I was retired and the retirement health insurance favors a mail order company called OptRx. You can bet that when I visit the doctor on Thursday for my physical, the meds will go through OptRx this time. I really resent not having a choice, but the price was so steep, I will not be using a regular pharmacy unless it's an emergency.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote