Help

Retired Teachers

retiring mid year

>

Violets2

retiring mid year
Old 12-09-2018, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My plan is to retire in 2020. I'm eligible after the first semester, (Yay! for early bdays). My debate was to do the typical teacher expected thing and work until June. However, I had a bit of a moment yesterday as I'm running to "visit" MIL and Mom who now live in same assisted living facility, that they need me more than my students and P does. Not too many retire after 2 marking periods but so what . Have any of you had a planned retirement mid year?

This is still a thought in my brain so nothing official. Many know next year is my last, and I'd told some I'm debating on when.

Violets2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Healthyandfun

I retired at the end of December 5 years ago
Old 12-09-2018, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My state has a rule that gives the retiree credit for one year if in the year of retirement ithey retire as of December 31st. The reasoning behind this rule was to give teachers with longevity and thus higher paychecks an incentive to leave. Then a lower paid teacher could be employed. The summer before I retired, I crunched all the numbers and it looked feasible for me. Several factors put me over the edge. That year, our district did not give any step increases or pay raises. There was then no advantage financially for me to complete that year as using that salary in determining my pension could result in a minuscule increase. A new principal was hired that year who made things difficult. Also, I was simply ready to leave teaching life behind.

I weighed all the factors as the time approached and did what was best for me. I made sure I followed all the district and state rules. I gave two months notice. Wrote lesson plans for three weeks. Had the principal send a note to parents. I was a “special” and worked with all the students. I talked with each class about my retirement and what it would mean for them. Children are quite resilient and they adjusted. My colleagues and some parents had a harder time, but were supportive. Only one person, a grandfather, complained. Looking back, I am happy that I chose that option. Retirement has been awesome.

My advice would be to look at all the factors and do what is best for you. Good luck.
Healthyandfun is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Midyear Retirement
Old 12-09-2018, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I retired January 1st, and it was a great decision. I gave my principal two months notice, turned in my paperwork to HR, and was good to go. They found a long term substitute who is a certified teacher to finish out the school year, and all went well. She wanted most of the stuff in my classroom, so I had very little to pack up.

Be careful about discussing your possible retirement date with other teachers. I recommend making the decision on your own, informing your principal, and then letting coworkers know. I got some tactless and rude responses from staff members when they found out I was retiring midyear. Thank goodness they didn't find out until a month before I left.

You are going to love retirement. Good luck getting things worked out.

Last edited by travelingfar; 12-09-2018 at 12:03 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 12-09-2018, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Two weeks into September I finally knew that it would be my last year. I considered retiring mid semester but I remembered that the only teachers to leave at midterm at my low income school were those teachers that were driven out or quit. Hmmm...

More important, I just couldnt leave at that time because it would put my admin, fellow staffers and students in a difficult position of finding a new Math teacher in the middle of the year. Math teachers are hard to find at the end of the year and almost impossible in January. Filling in with a sub was unacceptable to me so I continued until June. No regrets.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Retiring mid-year
Old 12-09-2018, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Many, many years ago (decades) I moved to the town I am in after getting married in the summer. I had applied for a job with the local school district (the only district in a 60 mile radius), but the turnover was low, and I fully expected to sub for the year.

A third grade teacher decided to retire at the end of the first semester. Her husband had developed some chronic health issues, and, as the case of the original poster, decided her husband needed her more than her students.

I was a known (and certificated!) entity and was given the job. She had given the district enough lead time to advertise, etc. so everything was done appropriately.

The second semester went well. I was a familiar face with the students and most parents. The only thing I wish the district had done differently was to give me a couple weeks to observe in the classroom or team up with the retiring teacher. I had that holiday break to prep and did talk to the teacher a number of times, but it would have been smoother to have been in the room experiencing daily routines with her.

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowflowers

Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Two years ago I retired mid-year. I didn't go into the year planning on it, but by October had just had enough. Had paperwork ready and let P know by early November. She wanted me to sit on interviews and train my replacement, a freshly graduated brand new teacher, which I did. The best part was leaving all my teaching stuff behind, which she was thrilled to get, and walking out with just my purse. Win-win!

Good luck with your decision. So exciting! Whatever you decide will be the best one for you.
yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 12-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would agree with everyone else... make sure you have your ducks in a row and make an early exit. You don't have to share with anyone else except your principal. I sent a letter to the parents about a week before I left.
There was a student teacher at my school in another grade that ended up with my job. She was able to observe a couple of weeks and I also kept in touch for about a month. However the job was just too overwhelming and she left at the end of the year.
The best part for me was not having to go out in the snow in January!
1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote