Help

Retired Teachers

re-reading beloved books

>

sonoma

re-reading beloved books
Old 12-10-2018, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have you ever gone back to read a book you loved many years ago? I recently read my favorite book from college years. I found that I really didn't like it this time. Also, it seemed like a very different story than what I remembered.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Books
Old 12-10-2018, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think life experience makes you look at things with different eyes so it makes sense that you would see the story differently than you did in high school. There are some books I loved as a young adult that I no longer enjoy.

However, with some books, those extra years give you the maturity to look more deeply into a story. I recently reread one of my favorites, “The Chosen” by Chaim Potok and I loved it even more than I had the first time around.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: re-reading books
Old 12-10-2018, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good afternoon to all-
I find I spend a great deal of my reading time these days re-reading books I've consumed previously. I find a lot of pleasure in this. It seems to help keep ides and characters placed in my mind, and I find that knowing what happens next in the story doesn't diminish the story at all.
I have re-read the Aubrey-Maturin series of books many times, and I never get tired to reading them.
good evening to all- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-10-2018, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Funny story...when I was about 11, I was reading my through the shelves in my local public library, and in the “]” section I came upon a huge tome with the title Ulysses. I knew the story of the Odyssey, and I loved fat books, so I promptly took it to the circulation desk to check it out.

To my irritation, the librarian told me the subject matter was “too adult” for an eleven year old...even one who was a good reader. I insisted that I was certainly capable, and she said she would need to get the permission of my mother. (Clearly, Mrs. Dragee did not know my mother as well as she thought she did...)

My mother upheld my desire to read anything I could get my hands on. So I took the book home and trudged through it...the stream of consciousness , Molly Bloom’s soliloquy, all 1000 or so pages. I did not understand any of it. My sweet little innocent soul was safe!

Recently, I noticed that our lifelong learning program is offering a course on Ulysses. I convinced a friend who works at the local library to take it with me. Our pre-course assignment is to read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and The Odyssey. It’s going to be interesting to reread this book after 50+ years!

Last edited by lisa53; 12-10-2018 at 04:09 PM..
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-10-2018, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What a great question!

I love rereading and find, as PoohBear observes, that perspective changes with age. I loved JD Salinger when I was in HS because he fit my teenage angst. I loved Hermann Hesse as I was becoming more intellectual. I hated Moby Dick and (sorry, Lisa) Ulysses. When I reread them, I still admired but wasn’t as impressed by Salinger and Hesse; I still hated Melville and Joyce.

I love rereading favorite ‘contemporary’ literature by John Irving, Michael Chabon, Ann Tyler...., but there’s so much new to read that I usually forge on. And I like to read mysteries/thrillers and, for me, they’re not fun to reread.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

jcbsmom

Book to Re-Read
Old 12-22-2018, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here's a bit of a different slant on the question...

After being retired, and missing teaching so much, a friend invited me back to read to her class. I have been going back and reading books to two fourth grade classes for the past two years. I love sharing these books with the students and they in turn get to hear from a different voice. After reading these same books to my children and to students for more than thirty years, these stories never get old. I often find new meanings to relate as the times change.

As for the more adult stories, I will re-read some of them but as amiga13 stated, "but there’s so much new to read that I usually forge on" .
jcbsmom is offline   Reply With Quote