Help

Retired Teachers

Itís been five years

>

Oh-snap54

Itís been five years
Old 12-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Now since I retired from teaching. All of a sudden I donít feel any wistfulness about working! I havenít had nightmares about my bully bosses either. Especially on cold days I am soooo glad I donít have to drive anywhere.

My sleep patterns are strange but it doesnít matter! I go to sleep around ten, wake up around four, watch tv, piddle around not worrying about having to get up at six. Usually take a nice nap in the morning sometime. So nice.

Oh-snap54 is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

remembering teaching
Old 12-14-2018, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel the same. Not a single bit of nostalgic longing about teaching passes my mind. I think what makes a difference for us is that we both had a bully for a principal. I also had to work with a team of awful women that last year before I called it quits.

It's not that there weren't some wonderful people--other principals I've had, teachers, parents, and students. Almost all were lovely. But that last year was so traumatic that I can feel nothing but relief to be away from those poisonous vipers.

It's a darn shame people can be so cruel and evil.

Last edited by timeforbed; 12-14-2018 at 10:21 PM..
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Going back to school today...
Old 12-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our long-term building secretary is retiring at the end of this week. She was a parent of one of the first classes I taught in the district, and then when I transferred to her school, she was my building's secretary for many years. I have avoided returning to school for any reason, but I need to go in today to say goodbye and set a date for going out to dinner.

I have to say, there is little I personally have missed about teaching. The workload got to be so intense the past few years with changes in the evaluation system and all that data collection, including documenting your own performance. If I wanted all that, I would have signed on to be an administrator. My colleagues were nice enough, but most were a lot younger and we are at different stages of life. I was close to very few of them.

I am loving having the time to truly do what I want without feeling stressed that I needed to do something school-related. Today, I went grocery shopping in the middle of the morning instead of the weekend. I was able to dash up to a local outlet center to pick up the last gifts yesterday in the middle of the afternoon and everything is all wrapped. My holiday cards are all caught up, as well. And I have turned into quite the night owl instead of being exhausted by nine o'clock at night.

Retirement is the BEST.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Oh-snap54

Old 12-18-2018, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I worked in one truly dysfunctional school that if I told you what went on you would not believe. It showed me the worst of humanity. I finally feel free of it.

The BEST part is getting weekdays all to myself and if I wake at four a.m. I donít have to worry about how Iím going to get by on four hours of sleep.
Oh-snap54 is offline   Reply With Quote