Retired Teachers

early holiday present

>

EdfromBama

early holiday present
Old 12-16-2018, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning to all-
I'm not much of a holiday person. Since the kids grew up and mostly left, we don't do the tree thing and the decoration thing, and I would probably not even remember that it's Christmas except for the constant reminders on TV and the buy-me junk mail.
But I do value unexpected gifts.
A couple of days ago I was watching our winter birds working the feeders. Our camellias are blooming heavy right now, so it was a scene of red birds, red and pink blooms, and a dark green background. And then our present arrived.
There was a hummingbird working the camellia blooms. It's the full of winter now, at least, as far as winter goes here on the Coast, and our ruby throat hummers have long since left for Mexico and Central America. But here was a hummingbird.
I have never seen a winter hummer before, but this one has stayed around, and I filled a sugar-water feeder, and it comes several times a day. I confirmed its identity- it's a rufous hummingbird, a far west and northwest resident that sometimes migrates along the Gulf Coast in winter.
The arrival of that little unexpected bird has made our holidays just about as glad and happy as if the grandsons had arrived.
And the little bird is a lot quieter and eats a lot less than the boys.
Happy holidays to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-16-2018, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Evocative description, Ed, just lovely. Merry Christmas.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 12-16-2018, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Beautiful description. Would you be able to share a photo of your flowers and birds? I'd love to see it. Happy Holidays!
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 12-16-2018, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I rarely see hummingbirds in my neck of the woods, even at the right time of the year. When I do, it's usually at the botanical garden near me, and it's a treat.

When I was visiting in San Diego, I was overwhelmed by the number and beauty of the hummingbirds in the gardens at Balboa Park. They were everywhere. Even better was the group of hummingbirds swarming around the beautiful bougainvillea vines that grew on the pergola of our hotel room patio. What a gift!
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

hummers
Old 12-16-2018, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Those rufous guys are very territorial and aggressive! Lots of fun to watch. The other day I saw and heard one body slam another hummer at one of our feeders! It made quite a thud.
Your garden sounds delightful!

Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

hummer
Old 12-16-2018, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wonderful description of your garden and your holiday season!

Quote:
When I was visiting in San Diego, I was overwhelmed by the number and beauty of the hummingbirds in the gardens at Balboa Park. They were everywhere.
Cassyree, we have them here year-round. I was in Balboa Park this weekend and saw them too.

Quote:
Those rufous guys are very territorial and aggressive!
Shelby3 beat me to it. I have four feeders and the rufous are such bullies! Sometimes they will allow a female or juvenile access to the feeder, but it's war when other males come close. The feeders hang on four sides of my house so the rufous hummingbirds can't see the other feeders, and perhaps more birds can feed.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 12-17-2018, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Your words paint a beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing your garden view with us.
CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote