Help

Retired Teachers

Ugh husbandís pacemaker lead is broken

>

Oh-snap54

Ugh husbandís pacemaker lead is broken
Old 01-03-2019, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So he had been phoning in his pacemaker readings to the cardiology office since July. Just found out last week the readings look like he’s been in afib since then. However, it’s the pacemaker lead that is fractured that caused those readings. I ask you why didn’t someone on that office notice this??? I don’t know either. Also fourteen years of his medical records are just...gone. He was dropped from the system- why? We don’t know. I’m not happy about that but there’s nothing to be done about that now.

So next week he will get all new leads in Tulsa. Overnight stay in the hospital if all goes well. Ugh we JUST got all our medical bills caught up! Ain’t it always something!

QUESTION: There is a caregivers group locally but it’s only for those over 60. DH turns 60 in March. Should I approach them and see if I can volunteer so that I can participate? They have potlucks and things.

Oh-snap54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

That is so typical
Old 01-04-2019, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hope the doctor will not charge you for the screw up. I actually had an issue with some surgery and the doctor only accepted what insurance paid and I didn't have to pay any out of pocket expenses. Something should be done to compensate the expenses.

About the caregivers group...ask about volunteering.

Good luck
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Oh-snap54

Old 01-04-2019, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They asked for 80.00 for the visit yesterday and they are just gonna have to wait.

I guess pacemaker parts break over time but they donít tell you that when you get one. Thirteen years is not unusual I guess.

Renea

Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have a 40-year-old family member who has had a pacemaker ever since he was eight. He's had multiple replacements and a 13-year lead is a pretty good length of time! I know he's had some last much less time.

Finding his records were dropped from the doctor's system is inexcusable!

Ask to be able to join the caregiver's group. I bet they'll be glad to have you working with them. You deserve support.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Old 01-04-2019, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would definitely try to volunteer if I were you. I'm sure you would be welcomed.

My SIL has a pacemaker, and had it recently replaced. They last no more than 7 or 8 years, so 13 years is pretty good.

Quote:
Finding his records were dropped from the doctor's system is inexcusable!
There are federal and state laws and regulations that determine how long health providers must keep patient records, and can be anywhere from 6-10 years after the last service rendered.

cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

Oh-snap54

Old 01-04-2019, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Cvt: true on the records but even if a patient is seen every six months? He was an active patient but records did not reflect that. I can understand if he hadnít been to see them in some time but he had been. In fact heís supposed to be seen every six months while on sotalol.

Its all good as his nurse that has been on medical leave is back and on her game. Things are back on track now.

cvt

Oh-snap54
Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
true on the records but even if a patient is seen every six months? He was an active patient but records did not reflect that. I can understand if he hadnít been to see them in some time but he had been.
Oh-snap54, that is indeed appalling and unacceptable, and should be brought up to medical board in your state. They investigate complaints and discipline those who violate the law. That doctor is required to keep records (depending on the state laws) for at least 6 years from the time of last service. If it was only 6 months ago, or even 2 years ago, his office should still have those records. They are breaking the law(s).
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

Oh-snap54

Old 01-05-2019, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I donít know whatís going on I truly believe there has been Medicare fraud in this office because twice we were billed for a doctor visit and he didnít see a doctor. We complained and charges were taken off... now that Iím thinking about it thatís when he ďdisappeared ď from their system! We need to see a cardiologist in Tulsa.

We also had a neurologist get put in Federal prison for fraud so now we are without a neurologist.

It must be something in the water.

DH has so many issues anxiety is one of them. I know he will be fine but he had major hospital trauma years ago and heís freaking out. Prayers needed thanks soo much.

Oh-snap54

Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thankful his gp is honest but he’s 92! Doctors are fleeing to the cities and I get that but still.

Rural health care really really stinks! Thankfully we are big on prevention and watch our diet and other things.

This was a big wake up call. Thanks for your help...I’m acting now to find him a cardiologist to oversee his case at a heart hospital. I just thought no news was good news ...NOT!