Retired Teachers

update on son's progress

>

EdfromBama

update on son's progress
Old 01-12-2019, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning to all-
Well, I heard those dread words from my son regarding this, his first year of teaching, and his future.
He said, " This has been tough, but next year I am going to do some things differently."
So I guess he has liked the classroom well enough that he plans on coming back again. And he's seriously thinking about transferring the grandsons to his school. I think that might be a good idea There are some real advantages to having your own kids in your work school.
I'm learning a lot about his school, too. It's a charter school in a very upscale part of Phoenix, and his students are mostly very capable, very high achieving, very motivated kids- but they are still middle schoolers, and they act like it, too.
But I'm not sure I would have liked the charter school system and the pressure to show progress and test performance.
But it seems he likes it.
good day to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 01-12-2019, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good for him! If he's thinking about having his sons got there, then I guess he's staying. I hated my first year of teaching and cried too many nights. The second year was a little better, with no tears, and somehow, I made it through 41 years!

I'm not sure that the charter schools are any different from other schools today. There was pressure to show academic progress and improved test performance even before I retired, and it's worse now! If I started teaching now, I'm not sure I would make it as long as I did.
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Good for him
Old 01-12-2019, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The part of teaching I loved the most was the chance to reflect and evolve each school year. Itís wonderful that he sees what he can do differently and try it out. I hope he uses PT to ask for tips.
My three kids went to my school which worked out great.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

I have a feeling
Old 01-12-2019, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

that several of his stories are more about the parents and less about the students.
Hope he sticks with it!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: daughter's progress
Old 01-13-2019, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good morning to all-
My daughter, who has been in the public schools as a speech therapist for some time often has to go off-campus to help home bound or pre-school aged kids. She has been given a new assignment with a pre-schooler and has to do this after school hours.
But she's figured out that if she schedules this off-campus assignment right, she can miss nearly all of her after school bus duty assignments and also most of the after school faculty meetings.
I'd call that a good bargain, myself.

good day to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote