Help

The VENT

unusual class.....

>

basketball777

unusual class.....
Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have such a hard/needy class this year. Last year I had a pretty good class with the exception of a boy or a two. However, there are issues left and right. It seems that I even have issues with a few of the girls, and that's usually not the case in my room. I am thinking of sending home a behavior slip(that is detailed/I got it from this site but added to it) for the kids who need it in my room. Not every kid(that would be way too much to photocopy) but maybe half to 3/4 of my class! I need to start making a list of my kids who need it. I wanted to give it to every child, however that's not going to work because it would be way too many photocopies to make. I am going to take it to Kinkos to run off I think.... On the student cards several of the kids have *behavior* marked on the card from last year, and I think a few should've been marked that. The kids with issues are nowbeing so disruptive that it's annoying some of my students!! When the principal walks in though, they are usually pretty good. They get worse as the day goes on. I think they get tired maybe. We had a shorter school day last year. They seem happier engaged, however the new adoption is so boring/drags on/can be a bit hard.......

Here are the kids with issues:
A lot of the class does not follow directions....they don't even point when they are supposed to or even following Simple, Easy directions. They obviously choose not to do it. I've taught 3rd for4 years now...and this is the one class that has problems/issues with doing it, majorly.

Group 1:
-One boy has issue with doing his work at all. I think he might be so shy he doesn't ask for help? I have a space on the form to mark for kids who don't get work done or try, etc.
-One boy has a major focusing/attention/following directions/work issue as well. Doesnt try much for his level.

Group 2: Pretty good...However, one girl who is one of the lowest kids in the classroom has major focusing and disruption issues as well. I noticed that one reason she could be so low is that she doesn't pay attention often, even for easy stuff. I do try to modify the work for her at times. Maybe an ADD type of issue? She can hardly read/write.

Group 3: A special ed boy(resource) who is so low and although I often give him easy work to do, he sits there doing one of three things: nothing, being disruptive in general/noisy/moving around a lot, disrupting others, easy stuff for 10 minutes then stop. He mostly does nothing and acts disruptive.
Another boy is constantly talking/disruptive/acting inappropriately..joins in with above boy I described.

Group 4: One boy who doesn't follow directions and can't stay in chair......
Another boy who seems pretty good but needs reminders......can be disruptive at times.
Behavior challenge boy(I had him in summer school one year and he was worst in class) who is disruptive to much of the class, hardly does work, doesn't follow directions, does inappropriate things.

Girl who can be a bit disruptive/talkative/notfollow directions
Another boy with a major focusing issue.....

Group 5: Another boy with a major focusing/not following directions issue/not trying best issue
A girl with a major focusing issue/following directions issue/getting work done. I have to tell her to do something and she won't do it for 10 minutes...she is very slow. I would call her very *unusual*. Other teachers would agree!

Group 6: A girl who asks to go to the bathroom/water/wash hands constantly....Issues getting work done.
A girl who can be a bit disruptive/cliquey/bossy......
Girl who can also be a bit disruptive/talkative not get work done.

So these are all the kids I think I need to give the Behavior ticket to everyday. There is a spot for good day and a spot for I had a problem with, then there are descriptions of the issue (including missing homework, late to school, etc.) and you just mark it. Then the parent signs it. Also, I think for the kids I don't give it to everyday, if they need one that day specifically I will send it home that particular day.

So there are a total of 15 out of 23 kids!! There are other behaviors I can't describe in words here at the moment.. My class is *something*!! They wear me out at times. In fact, the teacher who watched my class for an hour today while I tested kids, said, "You are right, your class is needy!" and then told someone she was worn out for the day from my class!

I moved some students around today...Hope that helps a little.

However, I am thinking of changing the E shape(which I like because it fits better in my room and they have a little bit of a cooperative group) and putting them in straight clusters facing the board. Maybe 3 to 4 kids in a row!

Other strategies I am thinking: 2 minutes from recess per disruptive group. Set timer during class disruption........then when recess comes, whatever time the class worked up they owe from recess.

I have a clip system that seems to work in that the positive levels include rewards sticker/cougar paw(drawing for pencil)......highest level gets the ticket to prize box raffle and a rinestone added to the clip......

basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

saralara

Old 08-26-2010, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like you have a lot of low kids and a lot of kids with special needs (even if they aren't all SPED designated.) I'm not sure how effective a behavior ticket will be with some of these kids. It is only effective as a strategy if they can control their behavior and if parents follow through. I'm guessing that might be an issue here, given all the resistant, lack of follow through behaviors that the kids are having.

Every couple of years everybody gets a really immature class. Sounds like this is your year. They may need a lot of extra modeling and really direct, obvious consequences, like a first grader.

Putting them in rows might be a good plan, making it clear to them that you will gradually release responsibility as they show you more mature behavior. It also might not be a bad idea to schedule some parent conferences (even though it is early on) and get some more information on a couple of these kids.
saralara is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Actually, the students aren't low!! That's what is puzzling about it. Only 2 kids are really low, and one of them is resource and the other has been tested, etc. Yes, those are 2 of the behavior issues..... I think what bothers me is that my class is so capable/close to grade level, yet they act so odd. Like the girl who sits there and does nothing for 15 minutes, even after I stood directly next to her and told her what to do(like color the picture! Or take out a worksheet!)

Things are a little better when I moved some of the kids around. Also, things are a little better when the class size goes down(we went way up this year and I still don't have a full class yet) They are very needy in that they all want my help/to talk to me at the same time....so still 2nd graderish a lot

I think I will be calling parents soon of the 2 worst behaved boys...
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote