Help

Substitute Teachers

Dress Code

>

2strike

Dress Code
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently sent an eighth-grade girl to the AP to discuss her clothing ... bare midriff and slacks rolled down well past her waist.

How do you deal with clothing issues? Every day there are minor infractions that I ignore. As a male sub, I am reluctant to discuss the more extreme "shortcomings" with a female student, in the classroom.

2strike is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't pay attention since nothing surprises me. I don't think it is my job as a sub to be enforcing a dress code that I don't even know what the school policy is.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with the last post. Its not our job to enforce dress code. We have enough on our plate to deal with as it is.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
SubMan

SubMan

Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I learned my lesson when I taught middle school reading; let the female teachers handle the girls and their revealing dress.

subczy

ugh
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sub h.s. I actually have very little issues with the males. They generally dress pretty nice actually or in athletic type clothing.

The girls - well we generally have 4 groups of dress:

* The rare girl from religious family who is in dresses or very modest loose fitting clothing.

* The ski bunny/peg bundy look. These girls crack me up. They are in head to toe leotard with a shirt over it and a belt just like Peg bundy. They are rather obscene if you ask me.

* jeans girls - jeans so tight and low waisted I am not sure why they bother. Their shirts are skin tight painted on and cleavage is hanging out. They spend all their time adjusting their clothing.

* The clubbers - they dress like they are going to a nightclub - which we don't even ahve in our town. - sparkles, next to nothing and high heels. There were more of these last year and only a few this year but they just leave you shaking your head.

I do not send anyone to the office for clothing (knock on wood). The teachers and P's are in hallways all day long and can do that.

subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

three little words
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Uniform Dress code.

There's no discussion, either they are in code, or they go home to change.. from kinder to high school.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use to hear about the rules in Catholic school where the girls' skirts couldn't be more than so many inches above the knee. I think schools should have a rule that no more than two inches of butt crack can be showing when they sit down.

NJSubteacher

Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Speaking of dress code, i have a question for the males on here. Do you wear a tie everyday? Personally, I noticed many male subs dress very well with a shirt/tie, dress shoes, etc.... I can't stand wearing ties and they make me feel uncomfortable. Is there anything wrong with just wearing a nice shirt, khakis, and dress shoes everyday? On Fridays, I normally dress down a little and just wear a nice sweater and plain black sneakers rather than shoes. Nobody ever says anything. I once wore jeans on a Friday because all the full time teachers are allowed to, but someone jokingly commented on how they were surprised that I dressed down. I never wore jeans again after that.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't wear a tie. I only wear a tie with a suit. I always wear a dress shirt unless I'm subbing for phys ed.

I've seen some teachers on jean day dress like they were cleaning the garage. This also happens in other industries when they have casual days. People don't understand that business casual and yardwork casual are not the same thing.