Substitute Teachers

Split lunch runaways?!?

>

3leggedtable

Split lunch runaways?!?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for advice.

In the high school I sub at you can have a split period that is interrupted by lunch. The students come in for 30 minutes, then go to lunch for 30 minutes and finally return for the last 30 minutes of class.

Yesterday, after the students returned from lunch I noticed that 2 were missing. I told the remaining students that I knew people were missing and I was going to call the roll again or they could just tell me who had not returned. So the class gave me the two names. Then one boy returned on his own, he said he went to speak to a teacher about his grades. I called the teacher and both students had been to her class. I still had one boy missing. So I asked the class who had the boy's phone number and I had him called. He came right back after the phone call. I did tell the teacher about the incident in my note. But I left out the part about having the boy called.

As soon as I got in my car I started to worry. I know I should have just called the office on the students. I did not, because I think they would suspended them.

What would you have done?

3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Amy L

Old 05-14-2013, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would have followed procedures. These kids knew what should have been done and should have gotten a pass to see another teacher or a pass from the teacher to return.
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you let them know that you're not a pushover, so they won't try it again. It was nice of you to handle it the way you did.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

You're better than me
Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldn't have done all that to track them down. I would have just written them up, called the office to let them know there were students skipping class and gave them their names, let the teacher know in my note who they were, and left it at that. I wouldn't even have mentioned it to the other kids.

I have never heard of students being suspended for skipping class, but if that is procedure at that school, so? The students must know that, and they decided to skip anyway.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

split lunch runaways
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The students are smarter at the main HS where I sub. They sign out for someplace like the football coach's room or the math lab. I don't check up on them since they are legally signed out of my room. The split lunch will not exist next year. It is wasted time for the students.

Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

thorough
Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think you did fine. very thorough. I usually take roll before and let them know I will take roll after. If they didn't show after I would have goen back and counted them absent and called it a day. When kids skip here we do not have to let the offic eknow. all they have to do is look in the computer.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have never heard of students being suspended for skipping class, but if that is procedure at that school, so? The students must know that, and they decided to skip anyway.

Yes, the students would get ISS for a day if I had called the office.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

piddleloop

Old 05-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

i would have just called the office with so and so did not return and let them take care of it. In my school that's called truancy, and yes they get in trouble cause it's written in the handbook. If it's in print and you choose to break the rule then you suffer whatever consequence.

Suspension usually comes after a whole slew of other crap has been handed out.
piddleloop is offline   Reply With Quote