Help

Substitute Teachers

Obamacare and Aesop

>

2strike

Obamacare and Aesop
Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The massive law commonly known as Obamacare will soon require employers to offer health insurance to employees who average at least 30 hours per week. It would be very expensive for school districts to offer insurance to subs who work 30 or more hours per week. Frontline Technologies, the company that produces Aesop, has offered some ideas to school districts, to help them avoid these expenses:

1. Cap the subs at less than 30 hours per week.
2. Treat subs as contractors.
3. Shift the placement of subs to staffing agencies.
4. Hire more subs.

The implementation of this law is only 7 months away. Have any districts been taking steps to comply with the new law?

2strike is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district took steps years ago: They offered subs health insurance. I am so grateful to have it, and I am glad more people soon will, too.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

OK4NOW

Old 06-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The district I work for offers it too. It is different than full time employees. I am on my husband's insurance.
OK4NOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Velouria

Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Most of the districts in my county are now shifting to using a sub contractor instead of handling the subs themselves. They also are using that staffing service for aides.
Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

I predict...
Old 06-03-2013, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Any sub who falls under the bus called Obama Care will not ever be called in to sub more than 4 days/week.

...Mike

MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Surprisingly, my districts didn't do anything yet or made any announcements. I know that most subs where I work, do not just work for one district. Therefore, they don't work enough in one district to qualify. Keep in mind that districts are not required to give you insurance for FREE, they will be required to give you options on BUYING insurance, to be deducted from our already small paychecks IF you avg a certain number of hours per week during the year.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 06-03-2013, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I live in Massachusetts, so mandated healthcare has been the law for many years. In fact, the new national healthcare reform was based on our healthcare laws. Here, all employers are required to offer insurance if they have over a certain (minimal) number of employees. It hasn't stopped anyone from subbing regularly, or holding any job on a full time basis. There was some initial panic when it started, but it subsided quickly. I don't know anyone (in MA) that doesn't have insurance, and can't say that I can recall ever knowing someone that didn't. Even just after graduating college when a lot of my friends "drifted" they were protected by mandated health coverage on their parent's plan until 26.
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 06-04-2013, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Pink, thanks for posting this. Maybe it will put some of us at ease. Do the schools in MA deduct your health insurance from your paycheck? I think that's a big concern considering we make so little as it is.

SubMan

Old 06-04-2013, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Where did the information come from, you say frontline the company behind aesop. But where did you get this information? Their website?

1. Logistical nightmare for districts unless aesop is setup to not allow more than 3 days per week per sub.
2. Might work, subs would be 1099 (irs form) style employees. Would make subs responsible for making tax payments themselves.
3. Only one district in my area has done this. I told agency of another district looking to do this; agency wasn't interested in any more clients.
4. Most, if not all, districts I sub for will hire anyone who applies and has the proper clearances. So they are already doing this around me.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Don't know
Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My district has not said anything yet, if it's like everything else a decision will be made last minute. I bet that they will simply choose to offer subs the same health insurance benefits teachers get, at the same price. Which sucks, because this insurance is not cost-effective for a sub. I'm on my husband's (he's a regular, full-time teacher) and for the family plan I think it's $75 every two weeks. Not bad when you're making close to 60K a year as a regular teacher, but a big pinch when you're only making 22K a year (and that's if you work every single available day! which most subs don't) as a substitute teacher.

Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

2strike

SubMan .. it's on the Aesop home page
Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Look on the Aesop home page. There are several messages that cycle through. One of them is about the Affordable Care Act. Open up this message.
Also: I have an inside source in the payroll department at my district. Frontline has sent these same ideas directly to the school districts.

Every employer will have to make a decision about how to deal with this law. Some of them will opt for limiting the hours of some employees.

As far as the employee/contractor issue ... it's not so simple. The IRS has some specific guidelines as to who is an employee and who is a contractor. It's not just the option of the employer. Another thing ... contractors usually have the right to subcontract the work. Can you imagine a substitute teacher subcontracting the job to another person?
2strike is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It will all work out hopefully in the end. I'm not going to loose sleep over it. If i don't get covered, i will get medicaid.

NJSubteacher

Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If you work 4 days in one district and one day in another, you'll be fine.

Jule

Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My school district provides insurance for the year if you worked 100 out of 180 days the previous year. I don't think this law will change anything for us.
Jule is offline   Reply With Quote
Whoneedsabeat

Whoneedsabeat

Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This might be a step in the right direction. If schools see they can't get certified good teachers as subs ALL week maybe they'll stop hiring ill suited friends and family...

watwacer

It is what it is....
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yep, we were cut... I am not complaining, at least we are not agency and yes AESOP handles this for them... Look on their website, main page at the bottom under news...it is the second story, dated February 6, 2013. It is what it is....

Last edited by watwacer; 06-07-2013 at 02:17 AM..
watwacer is offline   Reply With Quote

OneOldGoat

hm
Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

What I find odd about this entire conversation is that both of the districts that I subbed in last year offered health insurance if you had worked sufficient hours. Poop on any district that doesn't. Frankly, I don't want to live in some dickensian society where poverty is rampant and no one has health care.
OneOldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
Frankly, I don't want to live in some dickensian society where poverty is rampant and no one has health care.
That. Exactly.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote