Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Prep period

>

Prep period
Old 02-27-2016, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is a substitute at liberty to leave the school campus area during prep period?

4048 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-27-2016, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd say no, even as a contracted teacher I was never allowed to leave school until after dismissal.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

I don't.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know even for classroom teachers it is frowned upon. I remember once that a teacher left at lunch to go pick up something to eat, but didn't let the office know. We had a surprise fire drill at the end of lunch and he had not yet returned. The office told him that they needed to know every time he left, just for safety's sake.
BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 02-27-2016, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've only left to run our to my car to get my sunglasses for recess duty...I told the secretary as I was going out. (and she watched me go to my car, uh...)
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Depends on policy...
Old 02-28-2016, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm sure this depends on policy, but as an elementary sub I would not leave campus during prep periods, even if the school permitted it. I am responsible for my class and a prep period isn't time off from that responsibility. As another poster pointed out, a fire drill or other emergency could mean my presence is needed.

Lunch might be different, but we are required to "sign out" and back in. Personally, I do not leave... partly because there isn't enough time to do anything anyway!

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

We can leave
Old 02-28-2016, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We just have to sign out in the office and give a reason. It's not a big deal at the school I work at.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

jeopardyfan

Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We aren't supposed to leave during prep period, but can leave during lunch as long as we let the office know.

I've never done it as I'm always afraid that something will happen and I won't get back in time, plus there really aren't any lunch options within a 5 min drive of the schools.
jeopardyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 02-28-2016, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my district, we can leave for lunch and prep as long as we sign out in the office. I don't feel comfortable doing that as a sub, though.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-28-2016, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

At the jr. hi. I work at, if I have prep period right before or after lunch, and I am not needed, the secretary has said it's okay to go out. I rarely do it. Once or twice I left my lunch at home, so I had extra time to drive home and get it. It would probably be ok to go home for a longer lunch (I live very close) but I rarely do it.

We don't have prep periods in elementary but I've seen teachers who have left for fast food and brought it back during the 40 min. lunch period.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

thanks!
Old 02-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I recently had a third period prep followed by lunch. I do enjoy walking across the street from the high school for a long lunch break whenever possible. The silence and the fresh air is energizing; but permissions are better than apologies they say. Thanks again.

4048 is offline   Reply With Quote

socalsub

Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Prep? You mean nap time. Yes we could leave but i let the office know.
socalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

beachgirl07

Old 02-28-2016, 09:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Once a month the school district has a two hour delayed start for collaboration/professional development. The teachers are supposed to leave prep work for the substitute teachers. One time a teacher did not leave any prep work. I decided to go grab a cup of coffee from Starbucks. I let the secretary know but she stayed quiet when I told her.
beachgirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 02-29-2016, 03:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would say you should ask your school since I'm sure every place is different. Since I live three blocks from the school where I do all my subbing I have run home for something from time to time. One time I showed up for a morning job and then they asked if I could cover another classroom for the afternoon. Since I hadn't brought lunch I told them I'd just run home before the afternoon job and of course they were fine with that. Otherwise I don't leave because there's always something to do at the school, and I don't mind just hanging around talking to other teachers or the librarian or whoever.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

I would discourage this
Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would only leave, if I talked to admin AHEAD OF TIME, with a good reason, and got permission to leave. I know our current admin. will not allow any staff member to leave the building during duty hours. We scoff at it, but we no longer have problems with teachers or subs not being available for their students.

During Prep periods, students may need to come back to the classroom to get their things if they are pulled out of school early. There might be a behavior concern that requires the teacher or sub's attention. Then, as mentioned above by another poster, there may be an emergency or fire drill. You may need to report with your class, or help somewhere else.

I rely on at least some of the prep time to get myself prepared for the next part of the day. I need that "refresher", time to "organize" myself, so that the lessons are more natural for me to teach.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote