Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

4 minutes left 'till the bell

>

4 minutes left 'till the bell
Old 03-26-2016, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do when students crowd up to the door when there's 4 minutes left and they insist on talking when you're trying to presenmt something valuable to them? Kick them out? That would make their day! Thanks!

4048 is offline   Reply With Quote

MiCharlie124

Old 03-26-2016, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I worm my way to the front of the door, and stand in front of it and tell the class they can either go back to their seats and be dismissed by me (like to poster above says), or they can stay an extra three minutes after the bell rings. I'm bigger and older, so I've never had someone try to push past me. The (almost) always do as their told. I really get annoyed when I see students doing this with their regular classroom teachers as it should not be allowed. Imagine if an administrator came to pull a student and they were all standing there. It wouldn't be the students who are in trouble.
MiCharlie124 is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 03-26-2016, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I let them chat and stand there. 10 minutes before the bell, I was picking up their papers. I was working the crowd before that. The kids who know me know that they can rely on free time when they are done with their work. I am in college classes now, and was in college and high school before, and those little "decompression" periods are always much appreciated. I would not appreciate some tight harriden nagging, threatening, acting like a little Napoleon every other minute. It's public school, not Prison. The kids did the work they were supposed to do, they deserve some free time.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

I dismiss...
Old 03-26-2016, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hate chaos and the mad dash to leave the room, so I dismiss by quiet, straight rows. Or groups, however the desks are arranged. We don't start packing up until I tell them to either. And they enter the room in an orderly fashion or we line up outside and do it again. I need order.

Since I sub at the same school most of the time, the kids know this and are used to it. I think it's actually a school wide expectation, although I know some teachers are more strict about it than others. If I get a group that doesn't know me, I tell them my dismissal routine when I introduce myself and go over my expectations. I remind them at the end.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 03-26-2016, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It used to be a high school problem; now I see it filtering into middle school. I can live with it as long as it's 3 or 4 minutes before the bell. I've had classes try it with 10 minutes to go. I tell them no way. I told one class I would write down names, so they sat back down.
I notice it happens in regular teachers' classes pretty frequently even though we're constantly told bell to bell instruction.

Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

sila

Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Either way I stop letting them crowd near door in middle school.It goes to a lot of pushing and leads to accidents.May be talk for last 4 mnts,but stay in seat.
sila is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-27-2016, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our classrooms have 2 doors, so I can't be at both at the same time. 3 or 4 minutes at the door is ok, but when they start with the backpacks 10 minutes prior, I tell them class is not over yet. I love the classes that have been trained to wait in their seats until the bell. I always wonder why they're not getting up. Too bad that is not the norm.
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-28-2016, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I make them sit down. They do not get released until I tell them they can leave. Of course, keeping hem busy the entire time alleviates that.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Crowding
Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I tell my students up front that I release them, not the bell. The bell is just a reminder to me that we have another class coming up soon. I do co-teach in a class where the lead teacher lets the kids hover by the door and it drives me nuts!

As you see kids starting to get ready (putting items away, zipping up backpacks), have them stop and make sure you remind the class that you will release them in plenty of time.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

latey
Old 03-30-2016, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Lately this has been happening a lot. i work at high school level. I give a hollar to sit down or they can't leave and I physically put myself in front of the door. If they grumble I remind them they are not 2nd graders and do not need to line up. They actually hate this and begin to remember to not do it when I am in the room. Actually it doesn't bother me with juniors and seniors b/c they just stand but freshmen mess with things, try to sneak out or start pushing. Idiots.

subczy is offline   Reply With Quote