Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

accountability

>

accountability
Old 07-29-2016, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The most challenging aspect of subbing is knowing the names of students and holding them accountable for their misdeeds. Seating charts are often confusing, and I see this as an oportunity for the main teachers to improve upon. Badges?: Yes, but often not required. When seating charts are indecipherable or nonexistent, how are they ideniified?

4048 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

only conscietious teachers do that
Old 07-29-2016, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yep, I'm finding it rare that regular teachers are doing this now. And I'm sure that they're all wonderful people because they know their students. If I could make a suggestion, couldn't you make your own seating chart as you take roll? It may take some time and students may not be honest.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 07-30-2016, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A lot of the kids I have subbed for have lied about who they were anyway. You just take roll and hope for the best. I rarely memorize names. If I know their name, then they have been causing trouble.

A good way to get names is to circulate while they are working. I always carry a clip board with something to write with. I can peer over their shoulders, and look at the name they have written on their paper. In grade school, often the student will have a name placard on the desk.

It is actually recommended in Wong/Wong's book and others that taking attendance should not interfere with the day. Regular teachers often know the kids, and do not actually "call roll." Subs are stuck calling role but the kids are really not used to it, because their regular teacher does not do it.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 08-03-2016, 01:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I truly want to follow Wong's advice, but role is necessary when a teacher does not know the students. I have found that it helps a great deal for me to make my own seating chart. If the teacher has put name plates on the desks, I can usually do this before students arrive. Then I can look at my seating chart to take roll and mark off breakfasts. Before I turn those in, I will call out, has anyone seen Sally, or Johnny, are you sure you don't want breakfast here today? That is my safety net. Another trick is to know how many students are in the class, then to count heads. If there are 23 students on the role, and 23 students in the classroom, I don't have to take roll. Again, my safety net is to say something acknowledging all students are present. Other times if I see there are two students missing, I find who seems to be trustworthy and ask who is absent, or who sits there. Those are some less complicated ways to take roll. I got off-track but having a seating chart, even if I have to create it myself helps me to keep track of and learn names. Knowing their names helps hold them accountable. I also code my seating chart. When something about a student needs to be noted, such as went home early, was helpful, or didn't do his work, etc. I simply write that symbol or letter in the student's name box on my seating chart. This method of taking quick notes helps me write a more informative, yet usually concise teacher note at the end of the day.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

PAtoKY

Old 08-05-2016, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

twin2, that is great advice. I'm on the payroll this year to sub K-12 in a school I've never taught in before. I've always just known my students in my former school. I was wondering if there were any tricks to the roll call game! The school is in the same town as my former school, so I'm hoping I might know at least one student in any given class.

PAtoKY is offline   Reply With Quote