Help

Substitute Teachers

Positive feedback from the kids

>

Sublime

Positive feedback from the kids
Old 08-30-2017, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First grade today: I let the kids in the room and a little boy walks by me, turns around and says to me, "You're really pretty!" Now he was wearing glasses and barely glanced at me, but I'll take the compliment. Then later in the morning a girl comes up to me and gives me a rock. "What is this for?" "It's for you, it's hard and shiny." These were 2 shining moments in a day over 100 degrees with yard duty and a long distance from the main building and not enough instructional work for the day. I had to make up lessons to fill the time. I couldn't even give silent reading because for the first time ever there were NO reading books in the classroom!?

What are some comments that have made your day? Or just odd comments?

"How do people grow beards?"
"Were you alive during the Gold Rush?"
Gotta love them kids.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Yes
Old 08-31-2017, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, I have had those occasions where students say they really like me. I've even had some say they like me better than their teacher and I've even have a high school student say thanks for subbing. Wow! I'll take what I can get. I always tell them thank you and that I know they have a great teacher.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

SwallowedAFly

Happy Face
Old 08-31-2017, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This made me smile, so thanks!

I am substituting for six weeks and did not realize when I accepted the job that the regular teacher didn't have everything setup. Great learning experience but lots of work for little pay. I am home sick today but working on my computer so I get messages from the kids. They tell me they miss me and need and to get well soon because, "the sub, she trippin". That made my day yseterday.
SwallowedAFly is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 08-31-2017, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I once heard a young student say as I was walking down the hall, "You look just like my grandpa!" I don't have grandchildren yet, but perhaps I do look like I could be a grandfather. I'm not sure if that comment was a compliment or not!

I was once asked innocently by a high school student, "Were you alive during the Great Depression?" I was in my fifties at the time, but didn't think I looked that old!

In a first grade classroom, a girl was coloring a picture of herself. As she colored her hair, she commented to her friend that her hair color had changed slightly during the past few years. She then turned to me and innocently asked, "So, how did you get gray hair?"

A first grade girl once asked how old I was. I smiled, but said I wasn't going to answer. She then said, "I think you're ____." She was right, but I didn't share that fact!

Discussion in a second grade classroom:
Boy 1: (To me) How old are you?
Me: (Smiling) I'm not going to answer.
Boy 2: (To Boy 1) It's rude to ask grown-ups their ages!
Boy 1: It's only rude when you ask women that question!
Again, I just couldn't keep a straight face!

One of the oddest things that ever happened was during one of those floating sub days. I was supposed to assist a teacher working with second or third graders on math skills. She was an experienced teacher in her forties or fifties, but she had a tough class who was giving her a very hard time.
She then turned to me--she really looked desperate for help--and asked if I had any suggestions. I tried to assist and give her all the support I could, but I was only there for one class period.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

A few of my favorites...
Old 08-31-2017, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"Your badge is wrong. It says you are a substitute teacher. You're a real teacher!" (Second grader -- I told the sub coordinator the story and said she could keep my paycheck for the day.)

"You have really soft hands!" (Fourth Grader who had taken my hand for some reason... all the other staff members in the room cracked up--probably because the kid had a real dreamy look on her face!)

"You're not going to retire, are you!?" (Second grader who figured out my age after I gave the class a math problem in a teachable moment.)

"You must be a really good teacher--I haven't been bored today like I usually am." (Sixth grader during dismissal--I didn't put it in my sub report for the regular teacher.)

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh, you people make me laugh! Thanks for your comments. I hope we get more.

mkesub

My age
Old 08-31-2017, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

c6g - I think most people do as you do and don't give an answer when asked their age. But I've never had a problem with it.

However I will almost always make it a math problem. Last year I was 17 x 3. This year I am 4 x 13. It works best when I am teaching an age level where it is a problem that is hard for them, but not impossible. (For younger kids I'll make it simpler.) Often I'll have one or two kids scribbling on a scrap piece of paper figuring out the answer then passing it on to all the other students. I love when they meet the challenge and figure it out - they are so proud of themselves!
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 08-31-2017, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

"Were you alive during the Gold Rush?"

Last year, two second graders were walking down the hall, but one was speed walking. Before I could say anything, the speeder's buddy told him to slow down, "because running isn't allowed in the halls". The speeder's response? "It's not me, it's my shoes. They want to go fast."
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Old 08-31-2017, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This isn't funny and I know I've shared this before...but this is my most memorable affirmation.

I had taken over mid-year for a teacher who had either been fired or forced to resign. Her class was chaos, both the room and the kids. It wasn't easy getting things in order, but I did it. During this time, I separated from my husband and by the end of that year, I was just drained. I wasn't going to present anything at the end of the year awards, but I decided I probably should. I was nervous. I don't get nervous in front of a class full of middle schoolers, but I do in a gym full of parents when I have to speak into a mic. Anyway, when I got up to present, the polite clapping gave way to a standing ovation from my kids and screams of "we love you Ms Subinnc"!! It was amazing and I just about cried. They were so proud of themselves the next day, it was so sweet. Moments like that make it all worth it.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-31-2017, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The other day I had a pink shirt on, a second grader told me "You look pretty today."

I get called mom, dad, and grandpa a lot.

No books in the classroom? That's a real shame. Kind of like hearing that kids can't visit the library until October (heard that on the first day of school).

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

2nd Best Substitute Teacher
Old 09-01-2017, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I always bring library books to read to each grade level. I add the book title to the class note and confirmation info in my phone, in case I didn't finish the book. Sometimes when I sub again in a classroom I'll get requests to finish a certain book, so I try to bring the book with me.

One young lady said "Ms. G., I'd say you are the best sub ever, but I can't because my Dad is the best sub. You are wonderful, though!" .

A student, looking at my gray hair, asked if I had been in school all my life (to the mortification of the assistant teacher!), to which I calmly replied "Yes, I have. I simply love going to college!"
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 09-01-2017, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Ha! I had a very tall jr. hi. girl look down on me once and say, "You've got a lot of gray hair." This was a girl known for being nasty, I also got "I hate you" from her. I just said, "Yes, I do." She had behavioral issues and was a real pill. Gray hair doesn't bother me so I don't care if anyone mentions it. And I don't mind giving my age. I let the students guess if they ask.

broad

Smiling faces!
Old 09-04-2017, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I subbed Kindergarten on Friday - only 11 kids because low enrollment (the axe is going to fall this coming week - they are cutting two units).

I had such a fun day - lots of songs and actions, my favorite Robert Munsch stories, making a Labor Day Lantern, reading Corduroy with the actual bear and sewing on his lost button, then doing a guided drawing of him, me being happy, positive and nice (my weakness and strength).

My reward was seeing the delight in their eyes and the happy smiling faces.
broad is offline   Reply With Quote