Retired Teachers

Please give advice

>

Guesty

Guesty

Please give advice
Old 04-15-2019, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I decided I can retire this June! I'm financially able and really ready to reduce my stress.
I'm excited, but also overwhelmed at what I need to do.
Please give me some advice...
TIA!!

1956BD

Congratulations!
Old 04-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Retirement is wonderful! You will love having so much free time.

Make sure you have all your paper work done with your school, school district and retirement agency. Call and verify that everything is in order after turning in your paper work.

Decide when to let the other teachers at your school know you are retiring.

Then start going through all your school belongings. Much of it will probably need to be thrown away. Then some can be sold or given away. Some you may decide to keep. This is a big job when you have taught a long time. I did mine a little at a time all year long. Some people prefer to go in on a weekend or after school is out and do the job all at once. Either way works.

Then just enjoy your summer. It will probably feel like any other summer until all your work mates return to school. Then retirement really starts to sink in.

Best wishes for a happy retirement.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote
Guesty

Guesty

Thank you!
Old 04-15-2019, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the detailed and helpful advice!
Looks like I have a lot to do!

forkids2

Old 04-15-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To add to what 1956BD said, don't forget to check into what you need to do about keeping your insurance coverage.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guesty

Guesty

Yes!
Old 04-15-2019, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This was a factor I had to consider financially. I have very good coverage now but itís quite expensive to purchase the insurance through the district when retired. Luckily I can stay on my husbandís insurance which we will have to pay. But itís doable. Thanks for the suggestion! I appreciate it.

TchrFvr

Old 04-15-2019, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with 1956BD...start packing! You want to walk out on the last day toward your new future, not spend a week of your new life packing up all the things from your old life (smile!)
Collect boxes from the office (copy paper boxes with lids are the best!) and spend any spare moment sorting things - to take home, to give away, to leave in the classroom (organized and in a labeled box.) Try not to take too much home - seriously, will you ever use those lesson folders again? Most likely neither will anyone else - they don't see the same value as you do (sigh...while I have found homes for some of them, I have tons of carefully thought out, fun, effective lessons that no one will ever want to use but me...sigh...), so get rid of them.
I am also retiring this June. I decided in January for sure. I'm now at the tail end of sorting 40 years' worth of stuff. I've probably taken home more than I should already, so I'm trying to be judicious now (smile!) It's scary but it's what I need to do, so I'm trying to be the best teacher I've ever been (after all, I have all those years of practice - I'd better be at my best now!) and enjoy with bittersweet pleasure all the "lasts" in these last few weeks.
Also - start asking for letters of recommendation in case you decide to work or volunteer after you retire.
Enjoy these last few precious days!

Last edited by TchrFvr; 04-16-2019 at 04:32 AM..
TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Yay!!
Old 04-16-2019, 01:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yay for your upcoming retirement! Make time to teach things you enjoy, and bring almost nothing home with you.

I brought a bin of my favorite books and a few school supplies. All the rest was left for my replacement. She was a new teacher who wanted everything. It made things easy and simple for me.

You are going to love this next phase of your life. It is glorious.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 04-16-2019, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Congratulations! You will love it! It is a transition, but a lovely one.

We met with a financial advisor for two years prior to retiring who helped us think through what we wanted to do when retired, and if we could afford it! We also talked about what we'd like to happen with any possible remaining funds after our deaths.
Also, dh retired at the same time, so there were additional things he also had to take care of (he was old enough for social security and medicare, for example).

(It sounds like you already have these financial items in place, but I'll share anyway).

Some things we did (not all are necessary for retirement, but it was a good time to talk about them):
- I had retirement monies in 3 different retirement systems, and investments in different companies, which I merged for simplicity. It turned out to not be easy to move my severance monies out of the district's provider, and I was thankful for guidance.

-We tried to structure funds and how we'd receive them to be tax advantageous. (After doing this year's taxes, this needs to be re-visited).

-We also put structures in place for any money left at our death- this meant a will (yes, we never had one, we are big time procrastinators), a trust, and end of life directives.

-worked on a post-retirement budget (work in progress- needs revision!).
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

New Teacher
Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Think about the new teacher, and leave behind your classroom library and math manipulatives. I began my career with no classroom library or math manipulatives, and it was very hard.

Be sure to let the other teachers in your building know that you are leaving the trade books and manipulatives for the next teacher. Otherwise, they will scavenger when you are gone.
ConnieWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Guesty

Guesty

Good reminder
Old 04-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for the reminder. I feel very behind in getting finances in line. I will heed all your suggestions!

Guesty

Guesty

Great suggestions
Old 04-16-2019, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Actually I havenít done much financially yet. I will heed all your suggestions. Thank you for your help!
Guesty

Guesty

I know what you mean
Old 04-16-2019, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We definitely have scavengers. They came and took books that were set aside for a new teacher. I was shocked since these two were veteran teachers! It makes me want to put off announcing my retirement.
Guesty

Guesty

You're all so nice!
Old 04-16-2019, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks for the nice messages and advice!
Whenever I see retired teachers, they always look so much happier and that stressed look is gone.
I can't wait to join you all!

Tori58

Old 04-17-2019, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

There's lots of good advice here.

I would add two things. Think hard now about whether you love teaching enough that you could be pressed into service on a part time basis. The reason I say that is that it makes a difference in what you'll want to take with you. I knew when I retired that I would be open to a part time position if the the right one came along so I took everything that I purchased myself, all the bulletin boards that I made myself and all my favorite self-generated lessons. What I left for my successor was everything purchased by the school, a file of my favorite self-generated lessons, information about how things have been done in the past, information that my colleagues might not remember to mention or might now know and an open invitation to contact me if she had questions.

I'm glad I took some stuff with me because I only made it to January before I was back in the classroom at 40% time. For me, it has worked out well to work part time. I only work a couple of days/week and it's much less stressful but it keeps me active and is definitely helping me to build up my savings.

My other recommendation: be sure to plan to do something fun when school starts next fall. No matter how ready you are to be done teaching, you may feel just a little blue. I went on a camping trip and enjoyed the peace of camping and hiking with no kids in sight.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

Old 04-17-2019, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

"The reason I say that is that it makes a difference in what you'll want to take with you."

I agree with this idea, and am doing it myself. I started two binders back in January when I made my decision to retire, in which I am keeping a couple of every handout that I might need should I decide to tutor or teach part time somewhere, along with a copy of the answer keys (that I make myself.) I'll take them home with me just in case. I added some information to those binders today...I keep thinking about the immense amount of work and time it took me to develop those handouts to their current state of (close to) perfection (smile!)

I am leaving all the rest of course binders to a two-year teacher who is asking for anything I have that I can give him. Flattering, but he doesn't know what he's getting himself into (smile!) Seriously, I'm collating as much as I can, but it's still a lot of information - probably 40 large binders (fully labeled and divided - i.e., very organized.) He keeps saying he wants it, so I'll pare it down as much as I can and give it to him (smile!)
TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Guesty

Guesty

More to think about
Old 04-18-2019, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thanks Tori58 and TchrFvr!

I know a veteran teacher will be taking my teaching position but she will stay in her own room. My room will probably stay empty. That sounds sad. Also, we are losing teachers every year so there won't be any new teachers. So I guess I need to throw out my stuff. Yes, nobody would want most of it. School or district stuff will stay and some stuff I'll leave behind like bins, tubs, easels, bookshelves, etc. I started in a bare room and have spent a lot over the years. But I don't regret it because it made my job easier or helped the kids.

I don't really know whether I'll work in the future - don't know how I'll feel. So I'll heed your advice about not tossing everything - I can envision tutoring maybe. But I know I'll need a good long rest first! Something fun in the fall? Hmm. I need to think about that. I think I will have some mixed feelings. I'm happy to be leaving but feel a little sad too as I'm interacting with the kids. But I can't wait to sleep past 5:30!

EdfromBama

re: retirement this year
Old 04-19-2019, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Good morning to all-
You have received some very good advice from previous posters.
Having read your description of your school situation and how your classroom will probably be vacant- my advice would be to take your personal stuff and just walk off from the rest of it. If there's anything usable left, other teachers will take it very soon. If the stuff is not deemed usable, it will be fine staying in the vacant classroom.
I would not do much cleaning up, either. After the room is rummaged through by the other teachers, it won't be tidy anyway.
It makes a great difference to how you go about tidying things up if there's going to be class and a new teacher in your old room next year or not. If there's no new class coming, let it all sit. it won't hurt anyone.
good day to all- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Guesty

Guesty

Thanks Ed!
Old 04-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Great advice that will save me a lot of work!
Thank you!

I love all the super advice. I hope others will benefit from reading through this thread. I know Iím learning a lot.

crazy4catz

Old 04-19-2019, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Basically I brought home the stuff that I had purchased that I thought I would use again. I did donate much of it. After almost two years of retirement, I am putting my class pictures in an album. I kept my hardcover books that I hope to read to grandchildren someday. I threw a ton of stuff away. Good luck and welcome to retirement soon.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote
Guesty

Guesty

Thank you crazy4catz
Old 04-19-2019, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I kept all my class pictures and want to put them in an album, too. Where does the time go?
I look forward to joining all you lovely people soon!

Carolyn

Old 04-24-2019, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Thereís not a whole lot that I did. I signed the papers in HR and waved bye-bye to everyone from work. What you may experience is separation anxiety from leaving your job. There is the loss of teacher identity. That will pass as you get used to your new life.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-24-2019, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Get rid of everything! Really, on the last day walk out with just your purse! I brought home a bunch of stuff I had to get rid of later. Big mistake!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

broad

keep some stuff
Old 04-25-2019, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I agree with one of the other posts - keep some things you might need or use again.
I retired 9 years ago but I still sub and volunteer. I miss the kids! You never know how you'll feel after a couple of years rest in retirement. Some people never go back but others miss certain parts of the job!
broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Guesty

Guesty

Old 04-26-2019, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Thank you annie_g and broad!
Itís hard to predict the future! I know Iíll miss the kids.
But enough to sub or tutor? Donít know.
I appreciate everyoneís advice.