Help

Substitute Teachers

summer work

>

-fishnic

summer work
Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i am already starting to worry about summer. whats out there? any suggestions?

-fishnic is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynette12

Lynette12

Summer jobs
Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In the summer I work for the DNR. I work at a State Park and I am called back every summer, so far. I work 5-6 months, so I start in April and work until October. Some State Parks start later, like after Memorial day. Look under your State DNR website and look under jobs. They start posting in Minnesota around March or April. It is a fun job and it works nicely around my subbing (until school is out) as I usually work weekends and maybe Monday's or Friday's.

kshaw

Esy
Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I provide ESY (extended school year) tutoring for students. The pay is good ($25 / hour plus mileage). ESY is decided in a student's IEP meeting in our state, so I would talk to a special ed teacher in your area to see if they are offered. Usually, I have 5-6 kids for 3-6 hours each per week for 6-8 weeks. I also work at a summer program, but may give that up this year as I got a classroom position and won't have to worry so much about money.
kshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 02-21-2010, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I work at a summer camp. I have a supervisory role (I run the preschool section), so while the pay isn't fabulous, it's a whole lot better than it is for the regular counselors (often college students). And of course anything supervisory and kid-related is nice to stick on a resume!

I think I'm also going to look into census jobs this year. A friend who has looked into it says it pays reasonably well and is extremely flexible. I'd love to be able to pick up a bunch of hours in August! (Camp runs from late June--a week or two after school ends--to early August, and school doesn't start here until Labor Day.)
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassWatcher

Day care
Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used to work at a day care during the summer. As kids are getting out of school, parents are still working and the kids have to go somewhere, so day cares often see a large rise in numbers for the summer. Plus most will either hire you on as a teacher or a substitute. Note: you may have to attend a day or two of training but it can be steady work and the best part when your ready to head back to school you won't feel as though your ditching them...they won't need you at that time (chances are anyways).

ClassWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

fiddlergirl

Old 02-24-2010, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Do any of the schools near you offer daycare at the school? Kinda like an after school program at the school but during the summer. The programs at my schools go on field trips during the summer. You get the see the children in a different light.
fiddlergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassWatcher

no school daycare
Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I live in a realitively small town...there are so many in home day cares and day care centers that the schools don't provide day care. It sounds like something that would be fun.
ClassWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I work for parks and recreation during the summer. I love this job almost as much as teaching.

I live in a tourist town, so another possible job opportunity would be working at one of the attractions.
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

TXlady

Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Summer camp, nanny, tutoring, book stores.
TXlady is offline   Reply With Quote