Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Privatize sub teachers?

>

Privatize sub teachers?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

To save the district money they are planning to Privatize sub teachers next year. Does anyone have any experience with this and how has things worked out? Please share your experiences - good and bad. Thanks.

1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemK5

My school district did this.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think its better. Basically, anyone can sub in any school district that this company works with. So, there's thousands upon thousands of subs looking for jobs. It seems, and I could be wrong, but the teachers are having the secretaries put the jobs in for them with the subs they know (duh, not unheard of, but this is practically EVERY teacher doing it). Most teachers don't want random people subbing for them, especially since these subs aren't being hired by the district. The only jobs that do show up are the one's no one will sub for... and I mean NO ONE... or Supplemental/Roving Sub type positions.

Therefore, there are less jobs available. I thought maybe it was the economy, but, I recently applied to a new (not privatized school district) and there are a lot of jobs showing up on Aesop (it's usually specific times at night, but I'll see 6 or 7 pop up at once). Compared to the privatized district, where its a fight to get 1 job.

So, in my opinion, your better off working in a school that is not Privatized.
ElemK5 is offline   Reply With Quote

sub4you

Old 04-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would think that this would be a bad idea. That private company would manage the subs, not the district. The subs in my district are not treated like real employees, because we get low pay and no benefits of any kind. Just a warm body to fill the space when the teacher is gone. Of course we do more than that
sub4you is offline   Reply With Quote

2strike

outsourced subs
Old 04-26-2011, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are finishing our second year on the outsourced subs program.

The district saves money by not paying into benefit plans.

Otherwise, very little is different. Yes, I can sub in other districts if I want to. I don't. I have always worked in only my home district.

The districts set the rate of pay. The districts post the jobs on Aesop. The districts still set the times, places, expectations, and everything else that they always did. Any problems with pay have to be handled through the district. The only thing different for me is that I am not contributing toward a pension that I never would have collected anyway.

It is a nifty bit of legal fiction. For all practical purposes, the district still handles all of the everyday details regarding subs. But, since someone else actually cuts the paycheck, we are not employees of the district any more.
2strike is offline   Reply With Quote