She said, "It doesn't have to be done correctly". - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

She said, "It doesn't have to be done correctly".

>

2ndActSub

She said, "It doesn't have to be done correctly".
Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm at a high school all week. They took finals last week and have moved into "credit recovery / enrichment" mode. Failing students have to do a large packet of work to show they have learned a "minimum" to avoid having to repeat a course. Most of the work is fairly easy and they have several weeks to get it done. An "alleged" student turned in her work packet today (the 3rd day of the session). It was very poorly done. It was clear that she just rushed through it and didn't understand some of the terms used. I asked her if she would like me to help her review the work, so it would be done correctly. She said, "NO. I'm done. It doesn't have to be done correctly." What the...?

2ndActSub is offline   Reply With Quote

kb_24

Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's one of those times when you just have to force-feed it to them knowing that it's the end of the school year and they get rowdy and unmotivated; they just want to get out of school.
kb_24 is offline   Reply With Quote

lalasim

Old 06-10-2011, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is something that I don't get about US education. In almost all the HS I've been subbing, the students have this idea of "at least I completed the work" like if they were doing a favor to the teacher instead of realizing that the work their doing is for their own benefit, first of all; and secondly, the idea is supposedly to help them become knowledgeable and successful, but how is it going to happen if we as their teachers don't set high standards?
lalasim is offline   Reply With Quote