Help

Substitute Teachers

Non-work day in AESOP?

>

3leggedtable

Non-work day in AESOP?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you don't want to work a day, do you black it out in AESOP? Tomorrow is Friday and I want to take my Mother out to lunch. I keep getting dinged by Jobulator. Should I just add a non-work day?

My hesitation is that it will look bad to the central office for having days blacked out. This year I have blacked out about 8 days for a variety of reasons. Sometime in the future, I hope to be hired as a teacher and I don't want my non-work days to reflect badly on me.

Thank you for your advice.

3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Dougie

Old 05-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think you will be fine. I have about 25 this year due to having a newborn.
I can't see anyone looking back on those non work days for a future hire.

8 days is nothing!
Maybe id worry if I had 50.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Districts also have the ability to see whether you turned down jobs you were called for, so IMO it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. IF they are petty enough to use that kind of thing against you--which I would hope they aren't, but who knows?

(Unless they're not calling you, but just popping up online...in which case, can't you shut Jobulator off temporarily?)
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Prairiegirl

Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my part of the world subbing is a part-time, non-contractual job with no benefits. If I had to worry about blacking out days, I would get outta Dodge pretty quickly. Working when I want is one of the few perks, and I do work a lot. I work another job one day a week and blacked out that day for the whole year! Cancellations are another matter; I have only cancelled once this year due to illness.

Our sub office prefers if we black out days rather than ignore AESOP calls.

Subbing and having your own room are not the same job. What will stand out is good letters of reference and all the classroom management techniques you have learned. How many days you take off as a sub will not influence your prospects.
Prairiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

cannohara

No worries
Old 05-02-2013, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Adding a non-work day every once in a while should be fine.

cannohara is offline   Reply With Quote

sunshine*inc

Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One of my districts prefers subs to put in non-work days rather than ignore calls. If they end up calling subs to try to fill absences then they won't waste their time calling someone who isn't really available that day.
sunshine*inc is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

even substitutes
Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

need a day off for various reasons. you don't have to indicate your reason for being unavailable for a day. It could be anything from an illness to an appointment to not wanting to get out of bed. It is your business. The downside of subbing is being at the mercy of available jobs, the upside is that we choose our availability.

I'm guessing refusing jobs carries more weight than being unavailable.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynette12

Old 05-03-2013, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just turn off my phone ringer and my sound on the computer. Then I don't even hear them call me!!
Lynette12 is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

now I do
Old 05-03-2013, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I didn't in prior years unless it was a really big deal I was going to. I always wondered what if that really great job of having to only go in for an hour came along or something - it happens now and then. So I would leave them blank. however, this year we have some new P's adn they have taken to looking at the list and if the job isn't picked up they will start calling people who have not blocked off days. I HATE that. I am sure they think it is reasonable. I AM officially signed up to work any grade, but really except for the h.s. I only want to work for a few teachers in the lower grades - there is no way to be teacher specific in the preferences lol.

There is a sub shortage here so I don't worry about it looking bad.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I wouldnt worry about it. The ONLY trie job benefit we have when subbing is that we can take off whenever we want and don't need to give a reason. We are not on any contract or obligation. Where I work, they don't even require you work a certain number of days. I know some districts do, so just make sure you fill that quota, if it exists in your district. I honestly don't think school districts keep track of how many ignored Aesop calls you get though. It calls at random...so how would they monitor that among 100 or so subs??

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

non-work day
Old 05-03-2013, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

First of all, I don't get calls since I have phone calls turned off in Aesop. Reading these comments however made me think that I should have entered non-work days a few times when I didn't plan on working. I have one elementary school where the secretary will start calling when nobody as accepted a position and the students will soon be arriving. Last week, I received a call from another elementary school where they did not have a sub. I guess the polite thing to do would have been to block myself out with a non-work dauy so they would have wasted time calling.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My district had an announcement up on Aesop today saying that it was a high-needs day (for some reason Fridays in the spring always are ), and please either find a job or list it as a non work day. So I guess they prefer that you mark a non work day.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-04-2013, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Fridays are always busy days where I work too. Although, I have been making a habit of only working 4 day weeks due to being burnt out, I never choose Friday as my non work day. I always try to make it a Wed or Thurs. but, with the end of the year approaching a no summer job lined up, I will start working 5 day weeks again til the end of June if possible.

NJSubteacher

Old 05-04-2013, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Also keep in mind that this is the time of year when most districts decide if they want to invite subs to continue working for them in September. We normally get the notice either via email or regular mail in June. So everyone be on your best behavior.