Help

Substitute Teachers

New - Only Allowed 4 Days of Work

>

3leggedtable

New - Only Allowed 4 Days of Work
Old 12-14-2013, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is a new development this week in my district. On Monday a secretary told me that subs are not allowed to work 5 days per week any more. She had a 5 day job that she has to split into two jobs.

On Friday the school did not have enough subs for all the teachers that were out. At lunch the teachers were complaining about the 4 day work week for the subs.

I'm curious, how many other school districts are doing this? I work in Massachusetts, is this happening everywhere?

3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

Aca
Old 12-14-2013, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can thank the Federal government for this debacle. Many districts are opting for shortening working hours so they won't have to pay for benefits. (Too pricey with the new demands of ACA).
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

No
Old 12-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is not happening in my district. Subs here can still work 5 days a week.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 12-15-2013, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm in MA as well, and haven't heard this yet in my district. It wouldn't change much for me, because most of the time I'm only looking for three days a week anyway, but I think it's awful for the kids that schools are splitting up assignments instead of giving them consistency.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The ACA wouldn't be to blame for this in MA. We have had healthcare reform laws for 10 years. In fact, the national plan was based on our state laws.

Is there something in the contract that puts subs at a higher pay rate on the fifth day? I can think of no other logical reason the district would do this. It's terrible for the kids to not have consistency, and it's terrible for the subs to be treated that way. Sounds like a lose/lose.

pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

AESOP advice for districts
Old 12-15-2013, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

At the very bottom of your AESOP sign in there is info for districts on the Affordable Care Act. In case you can't access AESOP, here's the link. Interesting to know what districts are thinking.

http://www.frontlinek12.com/Pages/Bl..._Care_Act.html
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 12-16-2013, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One of the two districts I work for in NJ has the same rule. They automatically rigged aesop to not allow subs to see more than 4 jobs per week. This is basically paranoia that they will have to offer us health insurance for working for than 30 hrs/week (even though it would have to average out to that rate for an entire year for them to be required to do that). This law is nothing but a failure and we need to keep this in mind for the next several election years when voting.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ciel

Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My district isn't doing this as far as I know. I've only gotten a five day work week once, and as far as I know, I can get it again if the need arises. I haven't heard anything other than that.
It's weird that they'd do that, especially when they don't have enough subs to cover the teachers.
Ciel is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My district says only 3 days per week. Heck, I'd love to work four. Its really crazy because these jobs are well known for vanishing the day that you go to them, so you have accepted a job that no longer exists.

By the way, I have insurance. I do not need to get it or be offered it by the school system. I don't see why that does not count.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 12-30-2013, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

3 days per week?? That absolutely makes no sense at all. It clearly means they do not appreciate their subs at all. I think all of the subs in your district should boycot working there completely until they give you at least 4 days. I cannot believe how badly Obama and his democratic party in Congress screwed this country. It it is becoming a Communist state where you/we are limited to how many days we are allowed to work and make money to support our families. This is a fact, not an opinion as we are clearly seeing proof of. I hope we all remember this when we vote in the future.

angelajw

ok
Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I my Oklahoma town we were told that subset were being cut to 4 days to keep them part time because we cannot afford the new healthcare.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What I was told was that they could not (or did not want to) "offer" it, not "afford" it. There is a difference. They would need to offer it, if their subs worked over 30 hours per week. No one said anyone needs to take it. In fact they said they would actually give longer jobs on a "case by case" basis.

When the school system office opens back up after the holidays I am going to go down there with proof I am insured under AHC act to see if this makes any difference. I am an Army Vet and am fully insured by the VA, which is as "government" a health care as you can get!
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

lne216

outsourcing
Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Districts in my area are planning on outsourcing us.

They do not have enough subs so they cannot limit our days. There are many days I have to cover multiple classrooms because they are always short. That happens when teachers are out for training, but I expect it to happen on other days since we are moving into flu season.
lne216 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 12-31-2013, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Ine, in what state do you sub in? I think outsourcing subs is one of the dumbest things a district can do. Basically, they are trusting background and medical checks with some private company for subs who will be in THEIR schools near their children. Also, if they have a problem with a particular sub, the district would have to first contact another company regarding the issue. That is the most irresponsible thing a district could do. I know a few districts in NJ have done that and they ended up regretting it.
NJSUB

NJSUB

4 days? Just add another district!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Yes, my NJ is doing 4 days a week. Hey--it's all fine by me. All I had to do was sign up with a second district, which I will start at a week from today. Both are on AESOP so easy to schedule. For the first time since 2008 I have healthcare, and the plans in NJ seem to be pretty good for people at "substitute pay level." On top of that I'll still be working five days a week. I'll just be between two towns. I'm well established in my district, and usually booked a week in advance, so I can be confident about 4 days in one. The second district is paying me more, so perhaps I'll end up going there more if there's opportunity. For substitute teachers, I think having access to healthcare is worth having to add another town.
NJanonsub

NJanonsub

eww source4 maybe?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

NJSubteacher,

Eww sounds like Source4 to me. I signed up with them, and they were so terrible I quit and just dealt with my one district directly. Even though I never finished their process, Source4 still pushed me through their system and was contacting me for this and that for quite some time. I had to send them a nasty email...and tell them I'm not even employed by them. Gotta love privatization!