Help

Substitute Teachers

Snapped during attendance

>

3leggedtable

Snapped during attendance
Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was calling the roll this morning and a boy was absent, when I said his name, another boy shouted out "he's dead". I snapped at that boy so fast I surprised myself. I'm usually more calm and composed, but that just set me off.

3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds like he deserved it!

What was the reaction from the class and the boy who said it?
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

We are human
Old 04-16-2014, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I expect I'd have snapped back, too. Regardless of the truth of the statement he needs to have guidance in better ways of expressing himself. Honest responses from an adult can actually help that process.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 04-16-2014, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can understand and sympathize with snapping in that situation. Doing roll call is a tricky time anyway -- it can really set the tone for the whole day. And that is a very uncomfortable & innapropriate thing to joke about.

It reminded me though of a roll call in a middle school class I did a few weeks ago. I called out one boy's name and a girl in the class said "oh, he has gone to a better place". I kind of gasped and looked at her shocked. She laughed and said, "No, I don't mean he died -- he moved to Florida. It's nice and warm there."
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 04-19-2014, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This happens all the time when calling attendance where I work. I just learn to ignore half of their stupid comments. Keep in mind they are normally just looking to get a reaction. There was a time last week when I marked a kid Absent because he never acknowledged that he was actually present (he had earphones on). So I sent him to the office so he can be embarrassed and have to explain that he was marked absent because he wasn't paying attention. (This was after I already sent the attendance to the office). The funny part was when he came back to class, he had a frown on his face because the VP happened to be there at the time and had to explain it to her. I'm sure he will pay attention next time. Haha

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote