Help

Substitute Teachers

Never have subbed and I'm nervous

>

20cubby08

Never have subbed and I'm nervous
Old 09-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i taught 1st six years, 2nd two years, and 3rd twenty-one years. I loved 3rd. My mother was terminal and I had the retirement points required, so I stopped in 2012. I always felt so sorry for subs, but my state is almost 50th in salaries, so the retirement check just isn't enough for a single person.

I had a successful interview at a Christian school yesterday, but have been made aware of a possible link to a cult-like church. This school wants me to sub and to teach permanently. I'm taking small steps, for I may not even sub there. I'm checking on truth vs fiction about ties this school may have.

I hope to find tangible ideas for what to take with me into a room each day so the kids are under control and I leave without a headache.

🐾🐾Cubby (thank you)

20cubby08 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Search for "sub pack"
Old 09-24-2015, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I replied to your other post... specific to this, you might search the board for sub pack or sub bag ideas... my bag includes things like post it notes, pencils, nitrile gloves, band-aids (if school policy permits), a whistle for recess duty, water, breath mints, snack bars, timer--things that MIGHT be in the room, but I won't be able to find them quickly.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Maine Sub...
Old 09-24-2015, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Has a good list, I pretty much bring the same. I also bring a bunch of Mandala type coloring pages, I have math games that can be played on a whiteboard.

The coloring pages are an end of day reward, I do a read aloud while they color. Keeps them quiet cause they have to listen to the story and color the small spaces.

Most classrooms have plenty of books, flash cards, playing cards etc. that I can always find something to do. I have one urban middle school, there I bring loose leaf paper and old pencils. This cuts down wasted time because they are rarely prepared for class.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

20cubby08

Cubby says...
Old 09-25-2015, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for taking the time to share. Need to make a big tote and carry my personal classroom in it. Mainly concerned of no lesson plans and what I could do to fill time. 👍🏼
20cubby08 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Sub bag
Old 09-26-2015, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In elementary (where I only sub) I am seldom without lesson plans to follow. It's the "we finished too soon" moments I carry stuff for. I bring a paperback copy of "do not open this book" very cute story, amusing as a read aloud and can inspire parallel innovations such as "do not open this journal/room, etc.
I also carry a paperback copy of Ed Emberly's "make a world" drawing directions book for guided drawing lessons maybe followed by a writing about the picture.

You might want to throw in some pain pills for yourself only and a water bottle. Subbing is thirsty work. I usually bring a lunch to eat while reading pm lesson plans and locating materials.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

ovrjoyd4u2

But the advantage is.....
Old 09-26-2015, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

you have TAUGHT for a long time. So I suggest you prepare some generic, but engaging activities that can easily adapt across grade levels.

A simple book like The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein can open dialogue for older students about friendships (when one friend is a giver and the other a taker), science discussion about the ways we use trees, or comparing and contrasting the two main characters.

Math Flash Cards (Dollar Tree) get all four operations. These can be used in class or while in the hallway, when you want kids to be silent.

Making Words. Have kids work with partners to make as many words from a larger word. example misunderstood: stood, under, do, dim, etc. Award some some small reward for the longest word or a word that no other team made.

Dice Games for math: roll and add, roll and subtract, roll and compare. ( can do 1, 2, or 3 digit numbers)

Dominos ( Dollar Tree) can add, multilply or make fractions to add or compare.

Writing: (older kids) Read excerpt of My Name by Sandra Cisneros ( can be found online) and ask kids to share the origin and their feelings about their name or the name they would like to have and why.
(younger kids) I like to read aloud A Bad Case of the Stripes and then have kids write about a time they were sick.

Most important for management is to develop a system to learn or use their names and set some simple expectations. Offer a reasonable reward for meeting them during last 10-15 minutes of day, play a game, watch a book on line (storyonline.com), drawing.

You can do this!
ovrjoyd4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote