Help

Substitute Teachers

Big tote filled with...

>

20cubby08

Big tote filled with...
Old 09-23-2015, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I taught 29 years. I know how to run MY class. I must be careful not to be the sub I (myself) refused to ask back. If I give a tiny reward at the end of the day, I want it to go home. I don't want their teacher to deal with my " junk" when they return. I already know what pleased me when I returned to my desk. Sometimes, my room was turned upside down. Good subs were hard to find. I want to be a good one.

It was suggested on another board that I come here for sub ideas. Behavior tracking through the day so a small reward is given at the end of the day (elementary). How?

Fillers?
Bring a favorite book to read to them? Stand alone chapters?
Trust the school will allow me to copy my worksheets?
How to identify their names

I had my kids write in journals almost daily. Then they sat in a special chair to read their selection.

I am looking for time fillers that the teacher won't mind..especially if not enough assignments were left.

And...I'm nervous. #1 I want control of the room. I can't teach otherwise.

Thank you!

20cubby08 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

On the right track...
Old 09-24-2015, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think you're on the right track. It's important to recognize you are a sub and not the teacher... if I were to generalize, I'd say most teachers like ownership of their room and are going to be less than receptive to anything that threatens it. I mean that in a very positive way. (Your comments sorta reflect that when you say "I want control of the room.")

Therefore, I'd be hesitant to do the reward at the end of the day. Chances are the teacher has a behavior management plan and I try to follow that--even if I don't agree with it. It's funny in a way... subs hate it when the kids announce "Our teacher lets us..." I'd rather not set something up where when the regular teacher returns the kids announce "But the sub..."

One of the many challenges subs have is working within an environment (classroom) where we don't know the routines, etc. Subbing requires a high degree of adaptability and flexibility. The sub hat is both very similar to the teacher's and also very different.

My approach is I'm there to teach by following the lesson plan. I've found when the kids figure out that focus "controlling" the classroom is a lesser issue. Sure, there are problems, but they become manageable because we focus on expectations. I partner with the teacher and would say that's what makes me a sub who gets called back. I find teachers appreciate their room being returned intact (a few minutes at the end of the day goes a long way), an email or note summarizing what we accomplished and what we didn't, and a focus on teaching the lessons left.

As for "behavior tracking," I use simple systems that focus on intrinsic rewards. I've posted elsewhere a simple "thumbs up, thumbs down" exercise that can be done spontaneously throughout the day--the kids rate themselves. If we have a lot of thumbs down, we talk briefly about how to get those thumbs up. If we have a lot of thumbs up, we talk briefly about why.

I don't think a sub has to sacrifice his/her identity. I'm pretty well-known by the kids and the teachers and they know I how I work. But it's funny that when the kids see me in the morning, they ask "Who are you today?" In effect, I'm two people when I sub.

As for time-fillers I've rarely needed them. (I do carry a few, but it's hard to carry something suitable for every grade level.) Sometimes the teacher will leave them... most often I've found teachers "over-schedule" because "I'd rather you have too much than too little." We can always stretch the time by discussion. I once subbed on teacher appreciation day and had some time, so I had the kids write what they liked about their regular teacher and we left them on her desk.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

jeopardyfan

Old 09-24-2015, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't worry about bringing anything for the kids. 85% of the time the teacher overschedules stuff since they know their is a potential for a sub to get through stuff quicker. When we do have extra time, I either have the kids read to themselves (grades 1-5), or do other homework they have (grades 6-12). For kindergarten and sometimes 1st if we have some time left over I'll find a random picture book in the class library and read that to the class.

I wouldn't change the teacher's behavior plan for one day (giving rewards etc). Just go with what they tell you to do.

As far as names go---I'll try to figure out who is who by sketching out a quick seating chart if names are on the desks in elementary, but if not, I won't worry about it. I'll make sure I figure out which kids are the ones that I need to do behavior charts for or need to make sure they go to the nurse for meds whenever, but as the for the rest of them, if I learn their name, awesome, if not, it is still ok.
jeopardyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-24-2015, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just some thoughts-
One of our favorite subs (teachers and students) brings gum. She is very clear about the gum expectations. They get it at the end of the day and it has to go home. She puts a word (or they earn letter to the word) through out the day to earn the gum at the end of the day. It works. It doesn't override the teacher's plan (nor do you have to learn each teacher's behavior plan).

As for making copies - I agree that it is hard to have good worksheets for multiple grades, and you really don't want to carry that much stuff every sub day. Maybe stick with a picture book that you could read in an emergency and a writing prompt to go with it - or even just let them write a reading response to it if you need to use your own materials. Every teacher I work with leaves more than enough for the day! It is good to be prepared, but most the time that is way overkill.

As for making your own copies... Our school is copy limited as are most schools, so doubtful that you will be giving copy codes or paper unless there is a need. If you want some copies, volunteer to help a teacher make copies and slide yours in while doing that, but keep it reasonable. Now, if you sub for someone and there aren't plans or copies left for you, our staff would help you get copies of whatever you wanted/needed. But you are better off with a paper free plan no matter what. You can have students write on lined paper for most things. Put math problems on the board and they can copy them. Grammar/editing sentences can be done on the board. I would think of ideas that don't require materials for my emergency plans, and consider ways you can adapt them to each grade level.

One sub last week carried note cards and had students write their names on the front (and they could color them). Instant names!

Good luck! I hope you are at my school! My favorite subs are the ones who used to be teachers. They have so many tricks up their sleeves. I never worry about things when they are there.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 09-25-2015, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just going to add a few things that worked for me when I was subbing. Keep in mind I usually subbed elementary.

1. I brought the book Sideways Stories from Wayside School to read out loud whenever I had time to fill. They are short stories that the kids really enjoyed.

2. I had some cheap stickers that I would hand out at random times to reinforce good behavior.

3. We played 20 questions as a time filler. It's fun to get science in there when you play. For those classes I was in often I started letting them write their item on a piece of paper in the morning and then I'd pull a couple of words out to do later in the day.

Good luck!

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 09-25-2015, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Your post, though it makes sense, doesn't make sense on a certain level.

control is not the goal of teaching. Is it? A school is not a petting zoo it is filled with little human beings all different. My Masters teacher tells me that the way to get across to kids is to accept them, prickles and all, find what they like and somehow incorporate that in teaching them. As a sub teacher in one day, this is impossible. You cannot control them you can only appease them, and try to get some work out of them. Any relationship between an adult and a child is asymmetrical. Learning to turn asymmetry into learning is an art. A sub does not have 2 weeks to gain trust or get to know. The best gift a sub has is kindness, and consistent appearances at the same school so the kids get to know you. If you sub for a long time, you may make mistakes with the first graders. The next year, your first graders are now second graders. Then the next year your second graders are third graders. They know you. They know you are "the nice sub" and they are not afraid of you. They love you. They walk up in a store and say: I remember you!!!

My graduate teacher says that Love, not Control is the goal. They know you are Gentle Old Aunt Katy, and will not get all whacked out if they mess up. We want to control children, but we think that kicking a puppy is a sin. These kids are human "puppies" They are all play. At age 4 we throw them in an institution. It is very sad. I personally do not agree that they should or even can "be quiet" all I think is that they will work on the concept.

The more you sub, the more power you have--the more POWER you have.

So basically year 1,2, is just setting the stage for year 3. By the way, you see the same kids year after year. They remember. They have very good memories. They are human beings.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote