Substitute Teachers

Sub. Coordinator Question

>

2Centsin07

2Centsin07

Sub. Coordinator Question
Old 02-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you think your substitute coordinator could make it as a substitute teacher for a day in your district? I would love to see more human resources personnel actual walk a mile in the subs' shoes, and there might be some good changes made. What are your thoughts?

SubMan

Old 02-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm a two districts. The first district doesn't have a sub coordinator, theirs is Aesop or whatever they are calling it now. It's all self service in this district unless the building secretaries call you for the "failed to fill" positions. The second has a sub coordinator but she is also the receptionist at the district office.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 02-07-2017, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My district operates in the same manner as SubMan's, but I can easily imagine sub coordinators who are out of touch with a sub's reality.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

Old 02-07-2017, 11:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The sub coordinator in my district (whose job has been largely taken over by AESOP) thinks it's a huge deal when subs get a miniscule raise. It's irritating to see her announcing a $2.00 a day increase as though we won the lottery. And she can be very snotty. When I questioned the district's new policy of making subs wait up to two months for a paycheck, her reply was, "Do you want to work or not?" This is a woman who sits in a nice office all day with a good paycheck and excellent benefits thanks to her public employee union. She is completely out of touch with the reality of subbing. So, no, I don't think she'd last a day. Why would she want to trade her cushy situation for low pay, no benefits, and putting up with all of the other indignities of substitute teaching? I need the flexibility afforded by subbing because my first obligation is to my elderly mother. If my circumstances were different, I'd gladly trade places!!
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Truthy

Old 02-09-2017, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Most people can't handle subbing. Where I work now, we lose preps or combine. Most teachers act like it's the end of the world. Sub pay is ridiculous. Very few subs advance where they work, even if they're certified. I was and and I never even interviewed for the districts I subbed in.

Truthy is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-09-2017, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Where I work now, we lose preps or combine. Most teachers act like it's the end of the world. Sub pay is ridiculous. Very few subs advance where they work, even if they're certified. I was and and I never even interviewed for the districts I subbed in.
Same here. Teachers can refuse to accept a coverage, if they do take it they get paid $25.00/each. If the office has a sub take a coverage we get nothing extra. Once I had to have lunch after all the other lunches were done as that was the only way the office could make the coverage schedule work.

One district where I sub pays better but they haven't interviewed me for a single position. The other district pays less, has better behaved students, and has interviewed me every year. They have a 5 step process, I usually make it to step 3. Step 4 is with the superintendent and step 5 is with the school board.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Probably not...
Old 02-14-2017, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our sub-coordinator is great--very empathetic and cooperative, but I think she'd agree that subbing is not for her. We're talking about two different jobs with two different skill sets.

Although, come to think of it, I'll be she sometimes feels like handing subs is a bit like handing a roomful of students! :-) Some have to go to the bathroom... some need help...
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote