Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

No Jobs here either

>

No Jobs here either
Old 01-24-2018, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I appreciate the previous subs with their "NO WORK" concerns. I thought this was only happening to me. I visited with the district sub supervisor; I talked to two different administrators where I subbed a lot. First, I thought there were perfornance issues on my part, but each said that that wasn't the case. Now I'm reading of similar frustrations from other people. That said, this does not make sense, considering that one day everyone is crying for subs due to a shortage, and the next day there's never any work. Not one job has come up on my computer or phone since the start of the year! No, I don't subscribe to "Jobbular." It appears it might not be worth it; so whats the answer? Thank you, and good luck!

4048 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd try Jobulator. You get a 14 day free trial and then it's 6 bucks a month. The large district I work in won't use it since the union wouldn't let them, but the other places I work in, it pays for itself. You need to accept fast though or the job will be gone.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Here4TheCake

Old 01-24-2018, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have Jobulator. I do not think I'd get a job without it.

I work for two districts and it is definitely feast or famine for me. I hate how I have to feel so "scrappy" to try and get a job, but the competition is high, that's for sure!
Here4TheCake is offline   Reply With Quote

Jobulacator
Old 01-24-2018, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your response(s) I suppose an I-Phone is required here, as opposed to a simple flip-top, correct? Best of luck
4048 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I finally caved in to getting Jobulator this school year and it has helped. I only use it when I'm at home because I don't have or want a Smartphone. I don't want to be tied to Jobulator all day long, either. And yes, of course, sometimes the job is accepted before I can click "accept." Between requests and Jobulator I usually get the number of days I want per week. There are always times though that I get nervous when absolutely nothing pops up all day!

Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

no worries
Old 01-25-2018, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You might want to consider getting one of those auto-receive job apps as this might increase your latitude. You just need to pay a small fee depending on the plan. I know you said that you haven't subscribed to anyone in particular but this really does even out the playing field. Take care.

mommysubs

Old 01-25-2018, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You've probably seen my recent post, so you know I feel your pain. We have building subs here, so any paid app would be a waste of money for me personally. Just old-fashioned checking in may be the best way to go. That's the only way I've had any success in getting even part of a day's work as of late. But here, people are willing to obligate themselves to a contract without benefits to swoop in and get the dibs on jobs. The most annoying thing for me is when they "accidentally" post an opening on aesop that I am able to secure but then drop me from it citing that "building subs take priority". Whatever. In that same vein, districts complain for lack of subs... Well, people don't like to be treated like monkeys on strings or have to beg to be let into a room to do their job when they do get there. Can you imagine anywhere else having to beg for the keys to get into your office? I guess that's why I love this forum...we are all in this together, however temporary it may be, and we all totally get it.
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Love Jobulator
Old 01-25-2018, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It has gotten me lots of jobs. Usually, though, I take teacher request jobs first. Our district is crying for subs, so I could work a lot more than I am right now. Hubby's broken leg is keeping me from taking more than a couple jobs a week.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

possible reasons for fewer jobs
Old 01-27-2018, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I realize that this forum is far reaching and we work in different districts across the country (and even Canada). I can only speak for what I've seen in the 3 districts where I've worked.

In the 2 years I've subbed, I have seen a lot of fluctuation in the number of sub jobs. I've had to stick mainly with a district that pays less because the others seem to have more than enough subs lately.

I think the main reason for the sudden influx of subs is that, in my state, there had been a massive layoff of teachers a few years ago, followed by a surge in teacher retirements, followed by a sudden dire need for teachers. There are tons of colleges around here that offer credential programs (not to mention all the online universities), and there's been a huge influx of credential program students and graduates flooding the school work force.

The substitute teachers I've seen around fall into two age categories: seniors and college age. The majority are college age people. So I'd attribute the lack of jobs to the sudden surge in credential program students. On a positive note, there is also a lot of attrition among that group as they move on to full-time jobs of some sort.

I guess to be realistic, subbing is neither a lucrative nor very reliable way to earn a living. There are no benefits, no job security, and there will always be fluctuations in job availability (not to mention no jobs during holidays and summer). If you need a good, steady income, then there are definitely better choices.

In my case, I sub because I am semi-retired, love teaching, and enjoy having the flexibility to work when I choose.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 01-27-2018 at 04:21 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 02-01-2018, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

January is usually the slowest month to sub but it's been crazy busy here with so many teachers getting sick. I HAVE to use an app to get jobs October-April. When it's off school hours I accept every job that comes through the app and then decide what I'm taking without panic.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote