Help

Substitute Teachers

Speak for all subs???

>

Smores18

Speak for all subs???
Old 09-04-2019, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I love subbing but I have one irritant...I feel I am not alone. Teachers,paras,etc...Please do not discipline our class while we are standing there..Subs have a hard enough time gaining respect. I have no problem if you take me aside and offer suggestions but PLEASE do not do it in front of the class! And please don't say,"They don't act like this when their real teacher is here!"

Smores18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 09-04-2019, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are not alone. Though I did ask an aide last week if the kids in the class were as noisy with their teacher and she said, "Yes!"

What good has a statement like, "They don't act like this when their real teacher is here," ever done! NONE!!!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Mostly yes...
Old 09-05-2019, 12:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I walked by a classroom with a sub and the kids were almost literally bouncing off the walls, screaming, running, jumping... the sub had a whipped look. Believe me when I say I was very tempted to step into the room where I know the kids and the teacher and make the observation "You don't act like this..." It would have been a true statement and I don't think it would have undermined the sub who clearly had no respect or discipline anyway.

I've had several occasions when a teacher has intervened in "my" class. I find it more embarrassing than irritating. I acknowledge that I tend to be more tolerant than some teachers--and less than others. My response is to "reset" after the teacher/para has intervened and review expectations, reminding the kids that I am the teacher of the day. The key is not to lose the bond with the class.

For a different twist, I had a para join a high school class I was subbing in... the kids were working independently and quite quietly. The para asked "What did you do to them?" When I looked at her puzzled she added, "They don't usually act this way with the regular teacher. They are much noisier!"

Granted, I would prefer not to have another teacher or para intervene but it's going to happen. I've occasionally said something like, "Thank you! We can do better" or Thank you! We've got this!" The switch from "you" to "we" is not too subtle and establishes we've experienced outside influence.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

A better way for teachers to help
Old 09-05-2019, 01:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel like a lot of teachers could benefit by changing their cliche comments.

Instead of teachers saying "You'd never do this when Mr./Mrs. Teacher is here," why don't they say: "Show this guest respect, they aren't used to our routines and need our help."

Seems like cliche comments aren't very effective, and never really were in the first place. Students are going to act a lot less defiant when they realize subs are human beings and professionals worthy of respect just like everyone else.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 09-05-2019, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I absolutely hate it when this happens
Thank you for posting this, makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not alone in this.
What has helped me is to go over expectations first thing, reminding them this is Mrs so and so room and I am a quest teacher for the day. They should act like she or he were to come through the door at any minute and we want to make the teacher proud by following the procedures and routines and I want to leave a good note

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 09-05-2019, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't mind so much, I go to a number of classes each day for 40 minutes At least when the teacher gets them to quiet down, they realize their actions do matter. Otherwise I have to spend time writing referrals or figuring where to send them. I figure it is like a helper. Of course It does backfire on occasion.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

Smores18

Old 09-05-2019, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Amen! I actually stopped subbing at a school because they treated me as if I were some teen who got fired from a fast food joint and decided to sub. We recently had an incident in Ohio where a substitute was arrested for doing "private things" with himself while in the classroom! Everyone wanted to know why his background check went through. As a lawyer in the case stated,"Any warm body can be a substitute". I did email that lawyer... I consider subs as school's best kept secrets. The majority are fantastic and deal with a lot and get paid little.
Smores18 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Never
Old 09-05-2019, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I used to ask the sub if there was anything I could do to help. I never wanted to undermine someoneís authority.
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-06-2019, 01:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just find anytime there are two people trying to exert authority in a room(esp one that is out of control or really off task), it never works. I’ve never had a para or sub do this to me though. They are usually on phones or not paying attention. If one tried to usurp my authority in class, I would take them aside and tell them not to do it again. If it got me banned, so be it, but I will not tolerate that sh*t.

I have subbed for teachers that have been in the building for meetings or something and that always sucks. I was in a really tough school and the teacher kept walking in sporadically and changing the plans from actual work to study hall or videos. The kids were really badly behaved and I never went back there. I think she thought she was doing me a favor, but she wasn’t. I did have a teacher come back early from a field trip but she sat at her desk and did work and told the class at the start that I was the teacher. They were on task but it was high school. I really appreciated her letting me do my job, and I think she liked the prep time.

I have had other teachers ask me if I needed anything before the start of school and they gave me a heads up about certain students or something. I always appreciate that, because most of the time no one on the staff will interact with you beyond formalities.

If there is a student teacher I ask them what they want me to do, since the plans are usually letting them teach the class. They usually appreciate being left alone.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Yep
Old 09-07-2019, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Teachers,paras,etc...Please do not discipline our class while we are standing there..Subs have a hard enough time gaining respect. I have no problem if you take me aside and offer suggestions but PLEASE do not do it in front of the class! And please don't say,"They don't act like this when their real teacher is here!"
I totally agree. Emergency situations aside, I feel it's rude and unprofessional for another adult (teacher, parent, para, yard duty, etc.) to overstep their role by needlessly interfering with another teacher's (sub or otherwise) class in the presence of that teacher.

I've experienced or witnessed this behavior a few times, and it always frustrates me. Disrespecting and disregarding a teacher in front of their students just undermines their authority and encourages even worse behavior from the students.

(Oftentimes, the folks who do this are in the habit of yelling at other teachers' students. Perhaps "taking charge" like that makes them feel important(?)

If another staff member has some helpful advice to offer, I'm all ears. But it should be via private conversation. Never in front of the class!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 09-07-2019 at 02:43 PM..
luv2teach2017 is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 09-07-2019, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think you have to consider school culture. At my school this is the norm, and not just for subs. If my class is acting up another teacher will intervene, and I do the same for them. We have a culture of it takes a village. The kids know someone is always watching, and even really young before you know it, they know all of us, and we know them. If I normally get on little Johnny for acting up when his teacher is there, it would be weird not to because he/she isnít there.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

broad

my pet peeve
Old 09-11-2019, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This is my number one pet peeve! It makes me so angry and I never say anything.

I have promised myself that the next time it happens I'm going to speak up!

"Excuse me, but I'm the teacher here today and I'VE GOT THIS!"

I sub K and 1st and am retired and experienced. I know what I'm doing and I have control. I find it so rude and offensive when another member of staff starts reprimanding students in front of me even having them move their behavior clips, etc.

Oh well, I need to let it go!

Interesting post - thanks!
broad is offline   Reply With Quote

LynneLC

What I used to do...
Old 09-14-2019, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Some of you who have been on the board for years might recall my posting this before... Although I don't work as a Substitute any more, I did the job for over 1,050 days and still check out this board from time to time.

If the person saying, "They don't act this way when Ms. Jones is here!" gave me a look as if to say I was doing my job poorly I used to address the class and say, "That is SO STRANGE. WHY would the students have WORSE behavior just because Ms. Jones isn't here?? That doesn't make any SENSE. They KNOW Ms. Jones wants them to have good behavior whether she is here or there is a Substitute, so WHY would their behavior be WORSE, JUST BECAUSE she isn't here?" After I carried on like this for a bit, the person usually looked like they regretted ever saying anything.

Now, if the teacher or Para appeared to actually be trying to help me, I might not have gone this route...
LynneLC is offline   Reply With Quote