Help

Retired Teachers

Off my high from retiring

>

FMT

Off my high from retiring
Old 09-17-2019, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been going strong since I retired in June. Now I am feeling a little lonely and sad. I am glad that I retired but now I see some reality as I begin to plan my days. Hubby not retired. Here's what I have done so far...join an exercise class and a book club at my church. I have subbed 2x.

For me it is the reality of a new life which I have thought about for a long time. I know I will be fine but I guess I could call this a period of adjustment.

FMT is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I agree
Old 09-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

retirement is an adjustment to a new life and how you spend your time. Exercise class and a book club sound like a fun beginning. It really depends on how much free time you want and how much structured time you want. But you will decide what works best for you in time.

I had to learn how to relax again. For some reason I found that difficult at times. I was so used to multitasking so I could get everything done.

Also another big difference for me is that my husband was already retired when I left teaching in 2016. So I had and have my best friend to do things with. I might have had a more difficult time with adjusting had he still be going off to work each week day morning.

I hope you settle into retirement soon and really enjoy the freedom and opportunities that it provides.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-17-2019, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a lot in common with 1956 on this one.
Quote:
I had to learn how to relax again.
This is almost true for me. In retrospect, I donít think Iíve ever really relaxed in my life until retirement. So I had to learn how to relax. I also had to learn I no longer need to multitask. Being able to do 1 task when I notice itís needed is a huge joy for me. Iím getting quite good at relaxing.

It definitely is a period of adjustment! I need more activities than youíve found, but I think youíre very smart to go slowly and find the ones you like. I wish you great good luck.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Joy of retiring
Old 09-17-2019, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yep, yep, yep. Iím actually had to buy myself a book titled ďThe Joy of Doing NothingĒ.

The first year was a whirlwind of doing a lot of house stuff and short travels. The second year is when I realized I needed to find something to keep me occupied, but at the same time, relearn how to enjoy just being.

I am just starting my third year and feel like Iím finding a groove.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 09-17-2019, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I worked part time for 4 years after retiring but am now completely retired. Yep...not multitasking is very difficult for me so far. I had a list of things I felt I ďneededĒ to get done today, but didnít do all of them. DH, who retired several years before me, reminded me that I donít have to get everything done in one day That is difficult for me, but I am gradually letting things slide into the next dayís goal

I have always been a busy person (possibly ADHD) so down time is a foreign word to me, but that is how I roll.

Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

You are off to a great start...
Old 09-18-2019, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Unlike many of the responses here, I did not go through a period of adjustment. Teaching in my district had become very time consuming and stressful, and I was more than ready to leave my career in the rear view mirror. I joined a gym and am there 5-6 days a week. I am also on their Advisory Board. I also joined a hiking group, and while I have only done a couple so far, there are multiple choices each week. I have traveled and have a couple of other trips planned this fall. I have the time to read for pleasure and go to movies during the day. I like farmers markets and festivals, and have a retired teachers lunch group I see once a month. My one ďsadnessĒ is my closest retired teacher friend has a home in Cape Cod, so I do not see her much. I would like to develop a more active group of friends who like to do different things, although I will go off on my own if I need to. Retirement is a journey, and yours has just started. Looks like you are off to a great start with the subbing and you could always volunteer somewhere.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 09-19-2019, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We need to expect and accept a range of emotions about retirement. Yes, it is a joyful time in life but any kind of change can be stressful. There are also the struggles of real life that donít go away.

Identify what you need the most. Is it a schedule, friends, kids, having an audience? Then decide how to fill that void. A friend told me that she lost her audience when she stopped teaching. I missed the kids and my friends so I got a new dog to nurture and am taking sewing classes to meet new people.

It is an exciting time, you get to create the person you want to be in this next stage of life. At the same time, it is ok to be nervous, depressed, uncertain.

The most important thing I learned from this board is that it takes time. My dr. told me it could take 6 months to adjust. I said, ďMy PT friends said it could take a year.Ē I wonder if she thinks I have physical therapy.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 09-19-2019, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I understand! I've been retired for 2 years and it took me awhile for it to feel normal. My husband retired before me, but I actually would have loved having the house to myself during the day. We've managed to work out having space, but I really need my alone time. So just do what you enjoy and over time you will find a new routine that works for you.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 09-19-2019, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am in agreement with those who had to learn how to relax. I think retirement was a huge blessing in that I really learned to slow down and live in the moment. We don't need to busy ourselves every minute of the day with things to do. For me, I always felt a sense of urgency about everything when I was teaching. It took me about 3 years before I established new routines. Yet every day is different. Be patient and enjoy the slower pace of your new life.
CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Getting used to being retired
Old 09-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am totally in agreement with you! My adjustment period lasted awhile. I really loved my job and missed my working friends. I did tons of minimizing that first year plus quite a bit of traveling. Certainly all wonderful but at some point I needed to face a few things about myself I always had trouble with. Anxiety, fears, overthinking things. I am so much better five years later. I have met many new friends as well as keeping in touch with my peeps. DH and I bought a boat as our retirement toy and enjoy learning about it and using it a few times per week all summer. I play a sport now and exercise every day. I cook only really healthy foods for the most part. DH and I try and go on an adventure at least once per week. Take the time you need...not everyone can start enjoying retirement on day one. I do love it now but I had to learn what really relaxing meant to me as well. We are looking forward to more time for reading and indoors projects on our house during winter months. We redecorated entire first floor last year. Time to work on the second floor!

juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 09-19-2019, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just retired in June and felt very irresponsible when I wasn't getting ready for school at the end of summer this year so I'm pretty sure I'll be in the group that needs an adjustment period.

I really love teaching so I've decided to offer a free informational Dyslexia Workshop for Parents at the local library next week. It may open up some doors and I'm getting pretty excited about it.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

broad

still teaching as a sub!
Old 09-20-2019, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm 73 and have been retired for 9 years. I've subbed on and off then quit. I find that I need something where I can be creative. For me, it's subbing once or twice a week with the grades I love - K and 1st. I get to read my favorite books, play a few fun games, give kids time to play rather than all the constant worksheets, etc. I enjoy being positive with them and trying out new management strategies. I'd like to take the risk of subbing in middle school and subbing French in high school!

There's only so much shopping, gardening, lunches, books clubs but then I need something else. I make flap books and fortune teller preparation with paper I find cheap at the Thrift store. I do this while watching TV so I don't feel such a couch potato.
broad is offline   Reply With Quote