Help

Teachers' Lounge

I got a gold sticker

>

Teacher_twins

I got a gold sticker
Old 09-17-2019, 06:46 PM

Here's my recovery update:

Recap: I had surgery to remove my bladder, prostate and install a neo-bladder as a major step in my bladder cancer journey. Also, while I was in the hospital DW had an allergic reaction to an Edible Arrangement and had a lung collapse.

I had my surgery two weeks ago and I was supposed to be in the hospital 5-7 days. I was released after 3 days. My doctor said he overestimated my recovery because the procedure is normally done on men much older (and generally weaker) than I am. So, I got a gold star and was sent home. Mind you, I still had to stay there until DW was released, but once both of us were released we went home.

I still cannot walk long distances, walking from the bedroom to the bathroom gets me winded. The home health care people have come three times (every Tuesday and Thursday) and this upcoming Thursday should be their last visit. Basically they just come to check my wound and make sure I know how to use my catheter (which, btw, is nasty. Luckily I have lost all feeling 'down there' (TMI) but it is still gross) and that everything is coming out alright.

Also, my doctor said no steep stairs or inclines for a month. Well... my house was built in 1935 and we have 9-foot ceilings on the first level, and all the bedrooms are upstairs. I am not sleeping on the pull out couch for a month. So, the doctor wrote me a prescription for a stair chair (like the Acorn one you see on TV) and my insurance paid it, no questions asked! Even my doctor was shocked that it went through with so little hassle.

My doctor still wants me to be on disability and not working until the middle of October. So the end of the first marking period for my school. Going back has me nervous because I have not had the best long-term sub... actually I have had 3 and it is the fifth week of school. Apparently the majority of my students are "unique", not quite sure what that means. This year I am teaching all high school Algebra 2 classes.

REQUEST: I need new Hulu, Prime, or Netflix shows to binge! I have watched everything in my Watch Lists at least twice and you can only watch Judge Judy and Maury so many times

Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Teacher twin
Old 09-17-2019, 06:53 PM

Holy moly!!! You all have had a time!!

I recommend binge watching The Deuce or The Crown.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-17-2019, 07:02 PM

Oh geez, do NOT watch Judge Judy or Maury!

I'm thrilled to hear of your Gold Star! Way to go for being a young buck I'm glad you're still taking time to heal, though. And I'm jealous of the Acorn-like stair chair I'm glad insurance didn't give you a hard time about that.

For a Netflix thing, I'd say I just enjoyed Zumbo's Just Desserts, and I also like Nailed In (Although the host's personality can be annoying-- to me, at least), and I love Top Chef and MasterChef and MasterChef Junior. Any of those things would be awesome if you haven't already seen them AND you like to watch people bake Oh, and Cupcake Wars.

I also love Desperate Housewives and binged that again about a year ago. Obviously, my tastes are pretty lowly
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 09-17-2019, 07:40 PM

Congratulations on your Gold Star! Hope you continue to progress well. Sure hope that your students are so excited to have you back that they are well-behaved. I'm not much of a TV watcher, so I can't really recommend much. We are enjoying the last few weeks of baseball and the start of football season. And on HGTV, the Very Brady Renovation is a must-see!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 09-17-2019, 07:47 PM

I just finished Peaky Blinders on Netflix and can't wait for the new season coming out October 4.

If you haven't seen Braodcurch yet, it is excellent.

I have also enjoyed Designated Survivor, The Pinkertons, Rake.

I think Episodes is one of the best shows I've stumbled upon.

Schitts Creek is hilarious.

Congrats on your gold star!

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 09-17-2019, 08:34 PM

No recommendations on TV shows, but Iím just glad to hear you are making good progress in your recovery.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Series to watch
Old 09-18-2019, 12:48 AM

I enjoyed The Crown on Netflix streaming as well. It is a one hour drama about the life of Queen Elizabeth II. Can't wait for the next season!

I also just watched Unbelievable on Netflix streaming. It is a one hour drama mini series with 8 episodes. It is about the victims of a serial rapist. It is based on a true story.

I also like Anne With an E on Netflix streaming. It is a remake of Anne of Green Gables. Also a one hour drama.

Grace and Frankie is another great series on Netflix streaming. It is a half hour situation comedy. It stars Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen.... all older cast. This one makes me laugh out loud.

The Fall is another series I enjoyed on Netflix. It is a one hour dram detective series.

Call the Midwife is an excellent series done by the BBC. It is set on the east side of London starting in the 1950's. It is a one hour drama about midwives helping expectant mothers. It too is on Netflix. I can't wait for each new season to be released.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 09-18-2019, 02:21 AM

I don't have any shows to recommend - but wanted to wish you continued progress. May your recovery (and your wifes) continue to go well!
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 09-18-2019, 02:24 AM

I'm glad you are on the road to recovery!

Dh and I just started season one of Schitt's Creek on Netflix. It's about a rich family who loses all of their money and has to movie into a motel in a small town called Schitt's Creek. It's hilarious so far.

Also, I really want to watch Mindhunter on Netflix too. A coworker was telling me about it the other day. It follows the FBI as they try to catch serial killers.
TeacherMeg is online now   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 09-18-2019, 03:02 AM

I am glad to hear you are recovering! My husband loves NCiS and there are tons is episodes.

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 09-18-2019, 06:35 AM

Glad to hear you and DW are doing good. Great news you got your stair chair without a hassle.

Check out Orlando Bloom’s Carnival Row on Prime. A fantasy-drama and quite good. If you haven’t watched The Man in the High Castle on Prime that is good too.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 09-18-2019, 06:43 AM

Continued best wishes for healing for you and your wife!
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

Old 09-18-2019, 11:53 AM

Check out The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Prime. Very funny!
Marriedin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 09-18-2019, 01:19 PM

Glad your recovery was better then expected. Hope DW is doing well too. No TV recommendations since I don't have streaming. Enjoy your last days of no school.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 09-18-2019, 02:17 PM

I'm glad that you are recovering well! Some things I love on Hulu and Netflix are competition shows.

Netflix just did one about glassblowing called Blown Away I believe.
I love the Great British Baking Show. There are a ton of men on there and men have won so I think it's ok to recommend a baking show.

Hulu I love Master Chef.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Glad to hear
Old 09-18-2019, 03:50 PM

that your recovery is going well.

Sorry, no advice on binge watching. It's not my thing and I am a television dinosaur with no Hulu or Netflix.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-18-2019, 06:18 PM

I am glad things have gone so well and your recovery continues to progress! You are rockin' it!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote