Help

The VENT

Finding a job mid year?

>

Zulbi

Finding a job mid year?
Old 11-18-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Did anyone land a job k-2 mid year? I keep seeing 3rd grade and above but not k-2 opening. I live around 3 big districts about 50+ elementary in each.. This is even possible?

Zulbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 11-18-2019, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sometimes they are available but also consider a long term sub (maternity). It is a great way to get a foot in the door.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 11-18-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, my district fills mid-year maternity leaves and retirements with subs who are certified and have impressed principals. I know a new teacher who covered 3 different successive maternity leaves in different schools last year and now she's got a permanent position.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-18-2019, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have people retire or move mid year. Sometimes we find someone temporarily, and sometimes we hire someone we think might be a good permanent fit. We have also hired our certified subs.

I got my original job after doing two long-term medical leaves in my area. I did a maternity leave and a medical leave back to back, and the next year they hired me.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Mid Year Hiring
Old 11-19-2019, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my district long term subs fill jobs that open mid year. You could call HR in the school systems and ask if they hire teachers in the middle of the school year.

travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-19-2019, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Mine did but it was filled by someone who coming off their student teaching experience in another district school. This was open because the teacher left for another job in another district.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-20-2019, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It depends upon the situation. If you're looking at elementary only, I've heard that k-2 positions are harder to find. Previous admin said it seemed more universities were placing student teachers k-2 so there's more competition for those positions; others simply prefer non-testing grades.
As for the possibility of mid year openings, yep! We have two openings due to overenrollment and are currently out of copmliance for class sizes. We'd love to hire people (not k-2) but literally can't find someone you'd want in a classroom. They've interviewed multiple people for the position and aren't finding anyone. Other openings pop up when people move or go out on maternity leave.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 11-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Like Cruxian said, in our area positions are always popping up.

My very first year of teaching I started the last week of Oct. in 2nd grade. In our area (not sure if it is common practice nationwide or not) they check enrollment numbers on Sept. 30. It is then that they hire or destaff. We also receive budget soon after that, and can sometimes add positions- but those tend to be support staff more than classroom.

I agree with others about LTS. Admins like to hear about student teachers and subs that are doing well. I know through the years my principals have hired any of our student teachers and LTS that we’re qualified and respected by staff.
UVAgrl928 is online now   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Very possible.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our district is pretty big with about 60 elementary schools. We have another district about 50 miles away with 20+ schools.
In my teaching cert co-hort of 11, we all got hired immediately after certification. Cert was issued on Dec. 15, and 8 of us were hired within 2 weeks of that. 5 were K-2, the rest were 3-5 or middle school.
So, it's possible.
We just hired a 1st grade teacher at my school. She was a sub before.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote
BoredCoTeach

BoredCoTeach

Mid-Year Yes
Old 11-21-2019, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have not landed a K-2 job mid-year, but there are several 1st grade jobs that are open near me.
At the last minute possible, my old district dumped me. So I am certified teacher who can't find a job.
I sub. and can't land an interview in the district I sub in, even though I am the only one in it that can handle the kids and follow directions to a t.

I have been asked to look at an assistant director of a nonprofit organization, and if they hire me, I am taking it.