Help

The VENT

Student stole my AirPods

>

MsBTexas

Student stole my AirPods
Old 11-19-2019, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm mostly just posting because I'm so down over this whole deal!

I quickly removed my Airpods after lunch today and put them in the case, but then left it on my desk in a hurry instead of putting it up all the way like I typically do. The bell had rung for my next class and I was just in a hurry (I know that's on me). Then two periods later, I realized they'd been stolen from my desk. They are engraved with my name and cost a pretty penny, so I'm a little heartbroken. I'm mostly hurt that a student so blatantly stole from me.

I put in a report with our SRO, but he said there's not much he can due without a specific suspect.

I'm trying to think of tactics I can use to somehow get them back from whoever took them in those two classes tomorrow, but I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas? These are 6th graders (reading) in one class and 7th/8th graders (journalism) in the other class.

MsBTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 11-19-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I would offer a reward for finding them. Then you would know who the culprit is and you would know who can't be trusted ever again.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-19-2019, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have done a monetary reward in situations like this. It worked every time.

Last edited by anna; 11-19-2019 at 05:08 PM..
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

TeachingSarah

Find my iphone
Old 11-19-2019, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My daughter and my husband both use airpods. I can "see" where the airpods are on my phone using the "Find my iPhone" app. Right now I can click it and see that my daughter has her airpods with her but is not at home. If you loaded the app, would your airpods show up as they are connected to your phone? I have no idea how this all works.
TeachingSarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 11-19-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Make an announcement that you can track the air pods with an app. Leave them on my desk, no questions asked. A few years ago I had a student who’s phone was stolen by another student during class. I told them I was going to call the number. Phone reappeared, amazing!

Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 11-20-2019, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Jesus, that's sad. And to think, they had your name engraved in the things -- what is this kid gonna do, wear them at home in the dark? Everyone's gonna know it's not theirs. How sad. I'm sorry that happened to you where you work. If some kid stole from me like that, I don't even know how I'd react. I can't stand a lot of these kids, but whenever I couldn't find my phone on my desk right away and located it under some papers a moment later, I always inwardly chastised myself for assuming that maybe somebody stole it. There's like a level of trust there, that really sucks once it's broken.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote
middlesch

middlesch

Old 11-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I often leave my phone laying around the room. I use it for timers, etc, throughout the day. I have an older, un-cool iPhone SE so I've never been too worried.

A few years ago I couldn't find it during class. Figured I'd left it somewhere random. Spent a few minutes looking while the kids were reading. Taught a mini-lesson, then while the kids were working independently decided to try the Find my Phone thing on my computer (I'd never used it before). Figured it out, logged in, decided to have it play a sound just to see what would happen.

And it rang... in a kids binder. Sitting in my room.

Went over, took it from him, put it in my bag, said nothing, kept on teaching. After class, talked to the AP who handled it beautifully (got the SRO to scare the bejebbus out of him and gave him ISS). The kicker however, was when she called home to tell his mom what had happened...

"He would never do that."
"Well, it clearly happened, and he's not denying it."
"Well I don't know why he would admit to that, because he'd never do that."

Aaaaaand that explained everything.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 11-20-2019, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You can track them if they aren't in the case AND near your phone -which they will be if the kid brings them back to school tomorrow. So, during they classes that they went missing during pull up "Find my iPhone" and see they pop up on the map.

If at least one airpod is out of the case you can also "play a sound" which is actually pretty loud (from what my son says it ear shattering if you do it while someone is wearing them).

As far as I can tell you cant turn off location services on airpods the way you can on a phone so anytime they are taken out of their charging case and are near your phone you should be able to see their location. BUT if the kid never brings them back to school this wont work...great news though - middle school kids are dumb and they never think that they will get caught so they tend to do stuff like bringing stolen stuff back to the scene of the crime to use it.

The rewards is still a pretty worth while option, in case your thief is one of the rare few who doesnt walking around like a live version of "Worlds Dumbest Criminals Caught on Tape".
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Airpods
Old 11-21-2019, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Did you get them back? I hope one of these ideas worked.
Violets2 is online now   Reply With Quote

MsBTexas

Old 11-21-2019, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

UPDATE:

Wellll, I did recover them. However, the student who stole them wouldn't even have been on my suspect list. He is a student I have that's in a group home outside of school. He has a really tough life in general. But he has ALWAYS been sweet as he can be honestly. My heart is broken that he would steal from me.

I only found out because another student said he saw this student drawing with a purple Sharpie on a pair of AirPods in his previous class and he thought maybe they were mine. I reported to the SRO immediately, who then questioned the kid accused. It took a LOT of pressure to get him to confess and return them. They were covered in Sharpie, and you could tell he had used something sharp to try and scratch out my engraved name. I did get 99% of the sharpie off with hand sanitizer and qtips. However, the scratches can't be removed, so that sucks. They still are fully functional. BUT, I'd only had them a month, so it's annoying to me that they are now damaged with the scratches.

It was hard, but I did decide not to press charges due to the extreme consequences that would ensue for him (juvie). There's been a mixed opinion from others on if I should or should not have. Would you guys have pressed charges?

MsBTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-21-2019, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Won’t help with the scratches, but next time, try dry erase marker. It works magic with sharpie.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

km

Response to question about pressing charges
Old 11-21-2019, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think it would depend on who the student was. From how the student was described, I probably would not since they are already dealing with a lot. I would, however, insist on having a talk with the student.
km is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 11-21-2019, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Would I have wanted to press charges? yes

Would I have actually pressed charges? no

Teens make bad choices. It's part of bring a teen. Yes, he stole. But, sending him to Juvie over a pair of Airpods is overkill.

Hopefully, this kid is getting some counseling to deal with his life. From your description of him he has potential for a successful life.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 11-22-2019, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

i agree with Marguerite. And I'd tell him.

"I'm very hurt that you would steal from me. I'd never have guessed it was you. I can press charges, but I feel you have too much potential to ruin your reputation and future with jail on your record. Don't prove me wrong."
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote