Help

The VENT

Indiana Teachers

>

AuntKK

Indiana Teachers
Old 11-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just wanted to share a photo from the Indiana REDforED day this week. If you donít know, Indiana teacher pay increases over the last 15 years is 51st in the U.S. Public school teachers demonstrated at the state house in support of public education on November 19th. The ISTA were hoping to have about 1,200 people there. Over 17,000 showed up. Over 100 school districts closed for the day to show support. I attended (although our school district did not close). It was an awesome experience. People were polite and supportive to each other. The police were there, but I didnít see any problems. Many people thanked the police as we marched by them. Iím not sure if it will change anything, but at least the politicians know how we feel. This picture is what the lawn looked like at the end of the day. We teachers are a respectful group I am curious whether the national news covered this story.

Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
AuntKK is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 11-24-2019, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here in Richmond, VA I am rooting for you in the Hoosier State. We are dealing with low pay rankings as well as disproportionate per pupil spending. I have family in Elkhart, and they are wishing the best for education in Indiana.
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Glad you guys are standing up
Old 11-24-2019, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

like that! As long as teachers let them, districts will underpay and overwork most teachers. I have always wished there'd be an united effort on a national scale for a strike.
It would make people stop and think. They might realize the value of teachers. Then they'd put pressure on the gvt to pay.
I used to live on the border of Ohio and Indiana. If you crossed the street, you were in the other state. I remember starting pay for teachers in the nearby district in Indiana was 16,000 back then. I was shocked. It wasn't much better in Ohio either. ( Long time ago...)
That is great you had such a good turn out there w/ you and great you went despite your school not closing. It is amazing districts closed down for the day too to show support.
Hopefully they got the message. If not, teachers need to strike imo.
Best wishes!
Summerwillcom is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 11-24-2019, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I didnít see anything on the news. But I was at an appointment with DH all day Friday.
I love the pic and glad you had a wonderful experience. Believe me, you have my support.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Indiana
Old 11-24-2019, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I heard about Indiana teachers marching to the statehouse to protest low wages and poor school funding on NPR. I'm rooting for you all! Teachers have to stand up for themselves, or nothing will change.

Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

Old 11-24-2019, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The local Chicago NBC station had a story. As a retired Indiana teacher, I wore red on Tuesday for support.
liberty teach is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 11-24-2019, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm trying to keep up with what is happening in Indiana. It is illegal to strike in my state so we really respect, support, and appreciate those who make a stand like this. We thank you for bringing attention to the issues that affect teachers and students in your state because it brings attention to all.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 11-24-2019, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Saw your story on Facebook -- our statewide union was updating us all. Keep fighting! Nothing changes unless you demand it changes.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

1tired

Go Hoosiers!
Old 11-24-2019, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Teachers need to do more of this!
I hope you get what you are asking for and more!
1tired is offline   Reply With Quote

AuntKK

Thank you
Old 11-24-2019, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for all the support! It is illegal to strike here in Indiana also. Our state has been funneling money into private schools since Mitch Daniels was our governor.

There is a long history of public schools being attacked, but I wonít go into on this board. I hope this movement brings about change..

AuntKK is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Yes
Old 11-25-2019, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We have been updated here in Virginia. I am very active in our AFT local. More power to you! People are watching.

As far as being "illegal to strike", look at what West Virginia educators did in their Right To Work state.
tgbwc is online now   Reply With Quote