Help

The VENT

Crazy Animal Rescue People

>

seenthelight

Crazy Animal Rescue People
Old 11-26-2019, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am very involved in animal rescue, and it is astounding to me how preachy and judgmental a lot of people are in this community.

News flash: No one is going to adopt if you make them jump through 5,000, flaming, 100 ft. hoops all the while telling them what terrible people they are.

Have standards and educate. Don't judge right off the bat without all the information, and don't assume that not knowing something makes a person an unsuitable pet parent. Teach them. Show them what needs to be done and explain why it's important. The good ones will learn, they will spread their new found knowledge, and we’ll get these animals off the streets. The bad ones...they won't give a $&@!, and you won't put an animal in their home.

This kind of treatment leads people to shop instead of adopt.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-26-2019, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iím involved in animal rescue and every now and then our president will place a dog and some of us roll our eyes and wonder what sheís thinking. Sure enough the dog gets bounced. She wants the dogs out so she rushes to place them.

There has to be a happy medium.

On a side note, the politics of animal rescue makes me insane. I canít handle it.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-26-2019, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I totally get that and agree there need to be standards, but let me give you some examples of what Iím talking about:

1. A lady is looking to rehome her dog. Cue rant about irresponsible pet owners that just throw their animals away and don't understand the commitment. Turns out, she doesnít want to rehome but has cancer and a poor prognosis. She wants to know her beloved dog is in a good home before she passes. Her family is not a pet-loving one and she doesnít want to risk her babyís well being. Which hits home for me, my family doesn't like animals for the most part. What would happen to my furry loves if I werenít here tomorrow?

2. Another rehoming...this time a cat. Cue the same rant. Elderly mother is the actual owner and is showing increasing signs of dementia. Daughter does not have the right home for the kitty. She has young children and the cat is stressed plus she is trying to take care of a sick parent that can no longer care for herself. Daughter is willing to keep the cat until the right home is found because she knows her home is not it. When these kids are older, and the daughter is ready for a pet, how can anyone expect her to have a good taste in her mouth regarding rescue?

3. Family wants to adopt, but they have a declawed cat. Oh, no! Theyíre evil and musnít be allowed to adopt another cat. In talking to them, they DIDN'T know. They were horrified once they found out what declawing actually entails. Theyíll never do it again and are eating up information on alternatives like nail caps, nail trimming, and having plenty of scratching posts. Judging this family and refusing to adopt to them would have sent them straight to Craigslist and then to the vet to get their kitten declawed. Taking the time to teach? A rescue kitty now has a home and another family knows the horrors of declawing and can spread that information.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Agreed
Old 11-26-2019, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My husband and I have always had dogs and cats in our house. We now have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

A few years ago, we considered adopting from the shelter closest to our summer cabin. We figured summer would be a great time - we were off for the summer, the kids were home, the weather nice. We were given an application that was quite invasive (social security number???! employer??!). But also, the people there were so very unfriendly.

We waited until we were back in our small town and proceeded from there.

I belong to a facebook page dedicated to the breed of dog we own. I, too, have been disappointed with some people posting on it, judging without knowing the back story.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Yes
Old 11-26-2019, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I really appreciate you saying this. Hubs and I wanted to adopt a dog and we went through many organizations until we found one that actually treated us like the good natured people we are. Here are some ridiculous hoops we had to jump through before finding our forever friend:

1. An organization wanted our home address to make sure it was valid. Ok, thatís a little bizarre, but ok. They asked us to leave when they found out our home was owned by a local business (they thought it was just a fake address). The home was owned by our next door neighbors who own a local recycling company.

2. Wanted finger printing. They also wanted us to do a background check and it would ďtake over a monthĒ to do that. Nope.

3. Wanted proof of income. We make a very good combined salary, but we found that pretty invasive and said nope.

4. Asked what medications we were taking because they didnít want the dog to ďget into the meds.Ē

5. Told us that we could only adopt one of their dogs if we both 100% worked from home.

We finally found a great organization 6 months ago that does have some very reasonable prerequisites. The adoption process took just 2 days. We love our sweet girl!

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 11-26-2019, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Some of those questions are insane! Who asks for social security number? What are they even planning on doing with that??

I worked with an animal rescue group for many years and we had an application that mostly just asked home address, vet info and references. I would call a reference or two, but usually if I just wasn't sure. We would then deliver the pet to the home. In all the times I brought an animal, I only refused once. A girl had given us the address to an apartment (we always checked to make sure landlords allowed pets) but when I arrived with the kitten, she was waiting out front. She refused to let us in and it seemed weird. Found out later she was moving out of state and had given us a fake address.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-26-2019, 09:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When we were looking for a dog, we were going to get a rescue. However, the hoops/paperwork was so overwhelming that we bought.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Room_916

I adopted
Old 11-26-2019, 10:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

my dog from a rescue organization. They interviewed me. I did fill out an application, but I honestly don’t remember the questions on it. Thus, I doubt it was too invasive. It took less than a day. I saw the dog’s photo on Facebook. I called. I went in and met dog. I took my fur baby home that afternoon. Actually, his “Gotcha Day” was November 22, 2014. We just celebrated our five year anniversary. It was easy peasy. Pan comido. I never realized it could be so difficult for some people to adopt. I never even considered that the rescue organization would make it hard for people. I’m certainly am glad I didn’t have to go through the Third Degree.
Room_916 is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 11-27-2019, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is so true. When my dd tried to adopt a rescue dog she went to several rescue groups and none of them would accept her because she had a job. People who work canít have pets?

It took a long time but she finally found a good shelter and her dog.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 11-27-2019, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was in a hotel elevator with a woman who had three little dogs with her. After petting and admiring them, I mentioned that we were excited about getting a new puppy through a breeder that weekend. She scolded me up and down because we didn't go through a rescue.

I didn't like her very much after that! Seriously, we've had rescue dogs, but this time we chose not to. Our choice. No reason to scold me.

dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 11-27-2019, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I volunteer at an animal shelter. They do ask for your address on your application, but the only reason they really care is they want to make sure that you can have the pet on the property. For example, you need to either show some sort of proof of home ownership (they just need to see it, not have a copy or anything) or proof your landlord allows pets (even calling them on the phone works). The other questions are all animal related to help make sure the specific dog/cat you're applying for would be a good fit for you (they won't send home a cat aggressive dog if you have a cat, or a nippy dog with kids). Some of those questions you've been sharing are bizarre!
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-27-2019, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thatís some totally weird questions! Both our dogs have been rescues and neither have asked any sort of crazy questions. I have seen some people try to go to rescues and complain because they couldnít get the perfect pet instantly. Like they want a puppy and there arenít any instantly up for adoption. Or they donít take kindly to the idea that a particular dog might not be the best fit for them.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 11-27-2019, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I once filled out an application for a dog and one of the question was "What do you feel you can offer a dog?" My husband said "Food"... Not what they were looking for...

Some of the hoops are a bit much. I had to fill out an application that was very lengthy and send pictures of my home to the organization we adopted our puppy from. I felt like it was a bit much, but the lady we met in person was lovely and kind so in the end it all worked out.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 11-28-2019, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We got out (now elderly) cats through a shelter. The questions we were asked were: Do you have $100? Which kitten do you want? Some of this stuff is insane.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

I feed the neighbors lonely dogs...
Old 11-28-2019, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

my cousin runs a hound rescue in Florida, and has horror stories. I get wanting to ensure that the animal isnt going to be a bait animal, that's a valid concern, but making it too hard for normal people to adopt is seriously counter productive. I'm more concerned about people who don't think the animals have feelings and emotional needs (hunting dogs that are abandoned when they age out, or other neglected dogs)
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I have had 2 pets both of which
Old 11-28-2019, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

almost lived 20 yrs at different times (both died at 19.) Both slept in our bed and wherever they chose..
They were probably the most spoiled cats you could know. Both were extremely loveable and smart too.
I remember people saying, " It is too bad some kids don't get treated as well." We loved both so much.
When going on short vacations I always pd a lot of $$ to make sure some1 came to the house and stayed w/ them over the yrs. I needed someone who would pet, play, and sleep w/ them.
I wouldn't be able to get a rescue though now. I can't get constant scratches due to my skin. Both of my cats were declawed. I know people now think that is horrible, but if you could have seen the 2 we had, how much love and attention they got, and how happy and healthy they were ( until the end- then both got sick.) The 1st 1 I pd a lot for surgeries. The 2nd I let go which was kinder, I think. So my 3rd is coming from the pound.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote