Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Are you involved in direct sales?

>

tchrrx

Are you involved in direct sales?
Old 12-06-2019, 03:16 PM

Are you a consultant for a direct sales company? (Avon, Pampered Chef, LuluRo, etc.) I just signed up for a company, and I'm looking for hints/tips for selling a product. I know some tips are company specific, but I figure all direct sales have some common traits.

Right now I'm working to put together a Facebook group, but I'm struggling with a name that's creative, cute, and catchy without being silly. Other than the Facebook group, what other things should I consider?

Thank you!

tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Direct sales
Old 12-06-2019, 03:29 PM

I've never been involved with direct sales, but if you are planning to do that, I recommend a recent post on the PT Vent board. The title is "Friends who sell things." It is starred and on the current page so it should be easy to find. It will help you understand the perspective of those who don't want to be bothered by sales pitches, and what to do or not do.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 12-06-2019, 04:02 PM

Thank you! The first thing I did was posted on my personal Facebook page that I was going to be selling something. Then I asked anyone who was interested in knowing more to respond to that post. I'm inviting those people to my business page now, but that's it. I may post an invite again in a couple of weeks in case someone missed the first post, but I'm not going to sell anything from my personal page.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

MLMs
Old 12-06-2019, 04:21 PM

I'm not a fan of multi level marketing companies, so I don't have any advice.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Two ideas
Old 12-06-2019, 05:28 PM

I went to a few when I was teaching that were hosted by teachers or their friends. Food was the primary motivator. If I'm going to someone's house, I expect there to be at least chips and dips, some crackers and spread, etc.

Direct sales company sales parties never bothered me. I went if I wanted to and didn't go if I didn't. No one ever fussed at me for not going. And there was never any pressure to buy anything just because I worked with them. (Now high school club fund raisers were another thing. How many crates of peaches do I have to buy to get you to leave me alone?)

I also appreciated it when there were catalogs, order forms, and pens on the teacher's lounge lunch table. People always picked one up and discussed it during lunch and you'd get instant feedback on the product.

I wish you luck on your venture. I'll bet you'll have fun. Report back for those of who are interested in what you are doing.

timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 12-06-2019, 08:21 PM

I would also recommend reading the post on the vent board. There is a link to an excellent blog by a woman who did direct sales. Great suggestions for keeping track of your money.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 PM

Check out The Socialite Suite on Facebook.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

CheddarCheese

Old 12-09-2019, 07:57 PM

I second The Socialite Suite on Facebook! You can get so much information for free and you can also pay for trainings. Brenda focuses on building relationships and not being spammy.

Iíve sold with two DS/MLM companies. I did it because I liked the product and the discount. Donít let your upline push for you to spend money to have product on hand. When I sold Origami Owl, I did it for side money and not to build a team. I got out of it because they lowered the commission rate unless you sold so much a month. Not all DS companies are made the same. Some are legitimate pyramid schemes and then others are good businesses.
CheddarCheese is offline   Reply With Quote