Help

BusyBoard

How long does it take you

>

nucleus

How long does it take you
Old 08-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How long does it really take you to set up your classroom? If I get in there and get to work say 9am-1pm I can set up in like two days. When I first started teaching it might have taken 3-4 days but 15 years later it's two days tops.

How long does it take you?

nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Megteach

Year 12
Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In a new room and in need of purging, it may take me longer. I'm hoping that it won't take more than a week.
Megteach is offline   Reply With Quote

lynned

Old 08-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

it can take me 2-3 days if I don't stop to talk with all my co-workers
lynned is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

distractions
Old 08-03-2012, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I get distracted easily and everyone comes to my room to talk. I have been to school for 4 half days and walked away with more on my to do list. My library is set up and my tables, bookcases and carpets are set up. Mon and The I will be there all day and without my own kids. I will be done by then and ready for lesson plans. Teachers report back on Wed.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

theboydbunch

Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Easily a week on my own and then whatever down time we have during professional development week before kids come back...
Question? what level do you teach??

theboydbunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Edu-Kate

Same here
Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I can usually do it in about 2 days, if I focus and really work. If I distract myself , it takes longer! Also, if I have some big project that isn't part of the normal set up, I have to add some time to that. I like to set up, walk away from it for a day or so, and then come back and see if things are really how I want them. (Can you tell I am a writing teacher?!?)
Edu-Kate is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

setting up room
Old 08-04-2012, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It depends on how much they let us leave up. Some years I have to redo my word wall and other major areas, and last year we had to box everything up so they could wax the entire room. Thankfully my dd came in to help me, so I could focus on other areas while she put my library back together.

I piddle a lot since I know I have plenty of time, but on average I spend about 3 full days on it. That includes copying papers and getting first week lessons ready, too.

This is year 13 for me.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

About...
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If I don't start going through things and get sidetracked, I can have my room up and going in two days. My problem is that I tend to get distracted on "new" projects.
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

BettySpeller

Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This year it is taking me forever. I took down all my bb last year and starting everything new. I have 8 bulletin boards (and 1 outside my room) and then 2 long strips over my whiteboards which I cover. So it takes me awhile. I am also redoing book containers and my ceiling hangings. I have been in 6, 4 hour days and will need 3 more. Then, I'll actually start on copying/planning.
BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote

opal4

Truth be told...
Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I could do it in two or three days if I wanted to, but...

This is my favorite time of year. I love spending lots of time organizing and arranging. Then I reorganize and rearrange again. Then I find something else that I want to add or revise. I could really go on forever.

I will usually head in the first day we are allowed to and unpack, do bulletin boards, make copies for the first week, etc. Then the fun begins. I will spend a couple hours a day, (maybe for three or four more days total) just piddling around tweaking. Knowing that all of the important stuff is done, and that I can just take my time and do what I feel like doing is priceless.

Okay, I know it's a little over the top, but when do I have time for that after the kids come back?

opal4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Laurascoupons

All depends on the year
Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have changed grades several times and changed schools once. I have had to make some major changes because of this so it takes me a bit longer. This year I am going from 7-8 to 4th so big changes! I am also doing D5 for the first time so more changes. I am lucky though, they are changing the classrooms around so I at least get to stay in the same room!

Our rooms are carpeted so I haven't had to get everything off the floor. In my last school the floors were stripped and waxed every year so everything had to come off the floor and all cabinets and shelves had to be emptied! Hated that!
Laurascoupons is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It usually takes me two days. The first day is the hard work with arranging furniture and dragging stuff out of my closet. The second day is just the decorating part.

I've also been in the same classroom since 1998, so that helps. I know where I like things and what works best.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NYshopgirl

too long!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would say for me, it is about 5 full days in the classroom.

We do looping at our school, so I change grade levels and classrooms every year. This means I need to unpack boxes, try to merge my personal books with the existing classroom library, make new book labels for thousands and thousands of books in my room, and make/cut/laminate things that are more tailored to the new grade level each year. I also do a lot of really proactive work in this time, like making and laminating all the math games and word study materials ahead of time, etc. I think this will be nice for the rest of the year, but right now my fingers and back are killing me!

This year I'm working on working smarter, and laminating more so I can save stuff and not reuse it all the time!
NYshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

eagertolearn

longer than I plan for!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

In my mind I am super organized and have a game plan when I go in, but usually I have my 6 and 3 year old and they usually end up making more work for me. So the answer is usually at least a week and a half.
eagertolearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tisa

setting up
Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I can set it up in about 2-3 days. This year I left up the fabric and borders on my three bulletin boards, so 2 days will probably do it. Our custodians draw a map of our classrooms before they take everything out to clean the carpets, so the furniture will be right where I want it
Tisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Kteach2

Old 08-05-2012, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

It depends upon what the custodians do and what I have to do. Also, if I have to start from scratch or just continue on and make just a few changes. This is my 3rd year in 5th grade and I've learned a lot over the last 2 years and want to make a lot of changes this year, so I took down my BB's from last year and want to start fresh. It will probably take me 2 days for organizing, cleanings and setting up. Then an additional 2 days for planning curriculum, copying, sharpening pencils, etc..
Kteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Well, I need a couple hours to walk around aimlessly and feel overwhelmed. Usuallly I make a list of all the things I think I need to buy -- I rarely do.

Then I need a day to drag out furniture, rearrange, empty the closet and organized all my books. (Actually, books probably take two days)

Then I need a day of climbing on chairs and putting stuff on walls. I need time to make name tags and organize my desk.

So I could do it in 3 days, but I am so ADD it takes me longer. (This does not include any planning or organizing supplies and books for the students.)
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

luvbees

Setting Up
Old 08-05-2012, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It takes me about 3 days of uninterrupted time..but I distract myself!
luvbees is offline   Reply With Quote

ILove2teach

Old 08-05-2012, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Honestly... it takes me about 2 weeks off and on. I usually will make something and then will end up redoing things a few times.
ILove2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

momagain

about 3 days
Old 08-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

3 days of serious work hahaha but I have many distractions like catching up
momagain is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

6 years
Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

It takes me 2-3 days, depending on whether I'm in a new classroom or not. I like to work for the WHOLE day and get a ton done at once. It takes a lot longer to prep all the things for the kiddos first few weeks.
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote