Help

Substitute Teachers

A nightmare in the making...

>

mommysubs

A nightmare in the making...
Old 09-25-2019, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My first week in a new district and the second day I get placed in a 12:1:1. That in itself wasn't the problem. The large out of control screaming and aggressive teen was what threw me for a loop. That day I was only in there assisting the teacher and not a designated aide, so I just took a few of the kids away from the violent action of the aggressive boy. The boy is high functioning and knows what he is doing and wants to hurt people. I am not certified special ed, nor am I TCI trained. Neither was the boy's aide, apparently. After getting hurt, she ended up leaving. The boy was supposed to be suspended. Today at the end of my third day at this school, I am told that I am to go back into that room for the remainder of the week to be that boy's aide. I believe that means I have to follow him around for the entire day too. Umm...ok so basically he was not suspended then? Way to welcome your newest sub...here, be a punching bag for this out-of-control psycho for the next two days. And by the way, you will be a sitting duck for a disaster because no one in the building can control this kid and he shouldn't even be in a regular school setting, but yep here ya go! Umm...thanks....

mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-25-2019, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would quit that job. Unless you want to stay in that district.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 09-26-2019, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you have a right (I would go so far as to say "obligation") to refuse that assignment explaining that you are not qualified. It is a hazardous situation but in refusing the assignment you probably should emphasize your lack of qualification and not his behavior.

Quote:
I am not certified special ed, nor am I TCI trained.
My assumption is that this is a temporary sub assignment. I'm quite sure finding a sub for it is close to impossible. While I find it hard to believe, it is possible that refusing the assignment means you won't get other assignments. It's a tough choice because you are choosing a high-risk situation for yourself (and the district) if you accept it.

If you do have to do it, I would advise "show no fear" but also avoid confrontation if at all possible. It's possible that the chemistry between him and you will be "right" but you can't let on you're in anyway intimidated by him. If he "knows what he's doing" the message needs to be that you know what you're doing as well. I'd personally use a "we can do this the easy way or the hard way" approach. No threats, keep him guessing on what that means. Don't try to control him but have an expectation that he will control himself.

That sounds a whole lot easier than it is. Stay safe.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 09-26-2019, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This situation sounds like the ultimate catch 22. Awful.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 09-26-2019, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Would they be open to moving someone else with him, and you could take that person's duties? Maybe someone familiar with him or at least trained for hazardous duty?

Also, what does 12:1:1 mean?

Good luck!

YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 09-26-2019, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hmmm...you’re not Sped certified, nor are you TCI trained (I believe that means Therapeutic Crisis Intervention?), so we’ll put you with a violent student who’s already hurt one para. What could possibly go wrong?

In all seriousness, I’d go to the P and tell him/her that you’re not trained to work with this student, and you do not want to put yourself OR THE SCHOOL at risk. Really, you’d think the district would know better, and they likely do, but can’t get a sub to touch this job with a 10 foot pole.

I wish you the best of luck. Please update us.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 09-28-2019, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all for your supportive feedback. Yaya--a 12:1:1 is a self contained classroom where there is one teacher and one full time para. However, they don't count me as a classroom aide because I am assigned to this one student all day. If he goes to PE, I must go. If he goes to tech, I must go, etc. Unfortunately I just started working in this one district as what they call a "contract sub", so I am forced to take whatever they give me, even though the Principal knows I am not qualified. So we got through the two days. Only some yelling, no aggression...yet. I was so very relieved. I was ready for some new assignments. Then guess what?! They decided to assign me to him for the entirety of next week!! When I started to explain to the secretary that with my lack of TCI training I didn't feel like I would be qualified to handle his aggressive behaviors, she told me, well it won't be forever.... Umm...ok thanks??! Honestly, this feels illegal and wrong. If they are going to extend this assignment, then shouldn't I be properly trained to deal with the inevitable aggression?? Having a few extensions to his mental health team won't help me in an immediate crisis situation, especially since they never seem to pick up! So stressed I'm already getting my first sore throat of the season so I can't even hug my children on my days off for fear of them getting it.

mooba1

Mommysubs
Old 09-28-2019, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So glad to hear you got through the last two days relatively unscathed, but now they want you to do all of next week? What are the odds that, on Friday, theyíll assign you to the next week with this kid, and the next...

Theyíre taking huge advantage of you, knowing youíre a contract sub. If I were you, Iíd be contacting someone higher up in Sped, and telling them what your concerns are.

I used to be a Sped teacher, but that was years ago, and the laws change so frequently that I canít advise you on the legality of what youíre being asked to do. Iím not sure itís illegal, but it IS highly unethical and dangerous. If something bad happens, you know who will be hung out to dry, right?

Ugh, Iím so sorry. This whole situation stinks to high heaven.

mommysubs

Old 09-29-2019, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

mooba1,

Oh yes I will be the kick dog scapegoat for sure. I guess that's what they think I signed up for. The kicker is that the actual aide position only pays minimum wage, so the prospects for them getting anyone are next to none. They will get a rude awakening when I put in my two weeks and move on. I'm at the point in my life where I'm not settling anymore. I'm not going to be anyone's punching bag...the district's or this student. In so many words I am going to tell them that I expect to be off this assignment at the end of this week and if not, I will be moving on. Subs are few and far between where I live, so I should have no problem getting another job.

seenthelight

Old 09-29-2019, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You, my friend, are a victim of bait and switch. They need someone on this kid. They can't find someone to take the position, therefore, they hire you as a contract sub.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 09-29-2019, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You go, mommysubs! Go, girl!