Help

Substitute Teachers

Apathy of kids is getting old

>

Fractured

Apathy of kids is getting old
Old 11-15-2019, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I do hs mainly because I find it less of a headache than middle schoolers trying to lie to me about everything and get out class and into the halls or bathroom. But Iím starting to get worn down by the general lack of feedback or response I am getting from these kids.

I had a guitar class that I thought would be interesting. It was the same old bs, very few kids were doing the assignment and the rest were using their phones. I try to engage them with questions about the class and what they do, or how school is going. If I see kids I have had before I try to engage in small talk. Iíll ask them about English since that is that I am licensed in. Half donít even know what they are currently reading, much less what is coming up for the year. I just find getting any kind of response from them is like pulling teeth.
I guess it beats yesterday when a kid threw a tampon into the class and the kids started batting it around and the class in general was like a scene from Lord of the Flies.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 11-15-2019, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know that feeling. Earlier I got an English class that was going through a book I'd enjoyed. I showed up pretty early and did the assignment so I could properly discuss it with them, and then none of them were even interested in doing the work. It seems really common for kids to be like, "I'll do it when I get home" and it's just like... why? You could do it here and be done. I've had math classes where I've actually just written the whole process up on the board and circled the answer at the end of the problem, and still kids would be in the back going "bruuuuh I ain't tryna write, bruh."

It's actually exhausting. Saying that as someone who does exclusively high school and middle school, lately I've been enjoying middle school a lot more lately since they're still curious about the world and down to listen to interesting stuff. So many high school kids have just checked out and it's worrisome and sad.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 11-15-2019, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The middle schools here are usually really bad and have no control over the kids. Itís extending over into the 9th graders I see. But maybe itís time to switch it up a little.
Sorry you are having the same experience. Iíve stopped using prep time to do the assignment with them or anything because they donít give a sh*t.

I also have to say that most hs teachers do not leaving engaging plans for a 90 minute class. Itís usually self directed work that most kids finish early and then itís the phones. I just stopped giving a sh*t to be honest.

Aillya

Old 11-15-2019, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's unfortunate about the middle school situation. My middle school is really tight on behavior and the kids are whipped so much (not literally of course) that I almost feel sorry for them a little bit. They wait outside until I tell them they can come in, and some kids literally sprint to be on time, etc. It's like bizarro world, but I love being there even if it's more work sometimes.

(fun fact: this district has 2 middle schools. One is tight on behavior, and the other one isn't. Both groups of students funnel into the same high school. Whenever I have a misbehaving high school student, nine times out of ten they came from the middle school that was lax on behavior. You're not wrong about it feeding into the 9th grade level.)

I wish I could let myself relax and stop caring as much when I get non-engaging days, but all of my schools have admin peeking their heads in at random and so I just feel on edge all the time when I'm left with some Mickey Mouse assignment and then the kids are doing their own thing for 25 minutes, just in time for some busybody admin to peek in and assume I'm the one not doing my job or something because god forbid, I sat down or something.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 11-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I feel just the opposite. I love the middle school I go to (there is one I won't go to and another I rarely work at). I rarely take high school anymore even though the one near me is a good school. I went today and sat thru 4 periods while most of the students did classwork. They don't need me or my help. And then I have to tell them to put their phones away. And then they have to get paper from their locker (no, get some from a classmate). And then they want to go to the vending machine. And the seating charts are obsolete. Can I go to the library? Mr. P lets us. Today validated the reasons I rarely go to high school anymore.

On the plus side, I got a lot of "I remember you from middle school, elementary! You're the one that draws that frog on the board!" That was cool.

And the tampon incident is awful, but it's really funny to read! sorry...

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 11-17-2019, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Aillya- I work mostly in a crappy district. I can do an awesome job or a half assed job and no one seems to notice. I think I have had an admin pop their head in once in 3 plus years of doing this. I also know I am never going to get hired by this district because they only hire teachers ďwith a good repĒ from other schools. So I just go through the motions. I stick to the lesson plan, but my days of trying to get 35 high schools motivated to do their work or stay on task are over. As long as they arenít distracting others, I will let them sleep or play on their phones. If they use computers they are rarely on task anyway. Iím over it.

As far as the tampon story, at least it was new. Donít think Iím going back to that hs though.

bagano1

Old 11-19-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Personally, I think we need to start charging people to go to school again so they will understand its worth. Charge money, exclude some people from the educational process, and behavior will improve. There will be no respect as long as everyone gets an education for free.
bagano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 11-20-2019, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can’t agree with charging people for school, that’s the whole point of public education- to be free. I don’t think it would really matter anyway.

bodhimom

Old 11-22-2019, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If you want to work where students have to pay, couldn't you work for a private school? Does anybody here sub for a private school? I hate arrogance, though, and my gut tells me that private schools would have more entitled snowflakes than public schools. Parents, also.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 11-24-2019, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
... Does anybody here sub for a private school? I hate arrogance, though, and my gut tells me that private schools would have more entitled snowflakes than public schools. Parents, also.
Head over to "The Vent" and read some of what Angelo posts; he works at a private school. Yes, you are correct entitled snowflakes students and parents alike.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 11-24-2019, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I sub in several middle schools and they range from the strict (long-term female principal) to the very lax (short-term, "coach/jock," male principal).

I was recently at the lax middle school and the principal went on a tirade after lunch over the PA system about gum chewing. Very unprofessional I thought; it would not of happened at the strict middle school.

I have my own tampon story. The first year I was subbing I was teaching 6th phys ed (basketball) when a boy gets smacked with the ball and gets a bloody nose. I send him to the nurse who can't stop the bleeding (I'm fearing the worst). She finally stops it by using... a tampon.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote