The VENT

Lice concerns

>

Dragonqueen

Dragonqueen

Lice concerns
Old 11-25-2019, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I logged out for this message just in case. I have had a few cases of lice in my classroom. I have talked to the students about good hygiene in readers to this and sent a general note home. Today, I saw a live bug crawling in a girl's hair. I wrote a note and sent her to the nurse because that is our protocol. If there are live bugs, they get sent home. However, the student comes back with a note that says "Ok. Back to class." The student says that the nurse said she didn't have too many do it was okay. I know I saw one, so I get a piece of tape and get one off of her and send her back to the nurse. In my rush, I didn't think about the other students. Now I'm worried that one saw and will make fun of her. What should I do?

blueskies96

Old 11-26-2019, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I donít know what ages youíre talking about but having a talk about it openly, stressing that anyone can get them, not sharing hats etc, might remove stigma. In most cases the other kids already know if itís a family that frequently gets lice.

That is if youíre pretty sure another kid saw you. If itís a school wide issue then a class talk would be good.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 11-26-2019, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with the PP. Also, lice are not a hygiene issue. They actually prefer clean hair! You could explain that it doesn't mean the person is dirty, but that these are really hard things to get rid of once you have them.
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-26-2019, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldn't worry too much. We don't make a big deal about lice at all. I always tell my students that my own kids have had lice countless times. They are a pain! And like a pp said, lice actually prefer clean hair. It's not about hygiene, but it is about being vigilant when it comes to getting rid of them.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Oh, That would cause big
Old 11-28-2019, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

problems here! Next time if you want to do that get the kid in the hall.
Kids are now allowed in school w/ lice.
Check out what school nurses say.

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Lice
Old 11-29-2019, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
...They actually prefer clean hair! You could explain that it doesn't mean the person is dirty, but that these are really hard things to get rid of once you have them.
I agree about it not meaning the child is dirty. When kids speak badly about someone who has them, I compare lice to mosquitoes. Say something like:
"You don't blame someone who gets bit by a mosquito, right? A louse is out to do the exact same thing as a mosquito. He's just clever enough to grab on to a piece of hair after breakfast so he can come back for lunch!"

Buuuut, if lice are constantly reinfecting the same kids, it can mean that the home environment is not being cleaned effectively when they are first found, so I think it's still worth talking about details of how to get rid of them. - Maybe there is just one thing a family didn't realize they had to treat or something??
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote