Help

The VENT

Subs

>

2000Aggie

Subs
Old 11-25-2019, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve been reading and hearing about a shortage of subs this year. How bad is it where you are? Are you having to combine classes due to no subs? Are you coming to school sick because no subs? Just curious.

2000Aggie is online now   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 11-25-2019, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We've always heard it. I can't believe that people don't want to sub for $8/hour when they can work at Walmart for more at this point.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

iloveglitter2

Old 11-25-2019, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have a huge shortage of subs. I got stuck working as a sub for my first two years of teaching. I had 2-3 days each week of nothing! Sometimes I wonder if the sub shortage is not manufactured to try to pressure us to not take off and them have to pay a sub.
iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 11-26-2019, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Where I'm at we have some "preferred subs" and also the option to put it in the sub finding system. Planned absences get covered, but same day / night before absences don't always get picked up, and usually our preferred subs already have other jobs lined up by then.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-26-2019, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think ours is similar to TeacherPK6's situation. I've been out twice this year but knew enough in advance to put them in during a timely way (as in not morning of). We've had a lot of class covers, though, and from other teachers it's more than it has been in the past. I think part of it is putting the absence in last minute and those are generally less likely to get picked up.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 11-26-2019, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We often are short subs so our PE teacher gets pulled from classes to sub instead. My class has been without a sub a couple of times. Iím lucky. I have a particular sub (retired colleague) who loves to sub in my class so I can call her at a moments notice. She may be my long term sub when I go out on medical leave for my knee replacement revision surgery soon.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-26-2019, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For the first time we are really short of subs. We never have an abundance due to where we are located, but this year lots of needs and not enough to fill. Mostly because we have a lot of retirees teachers who sub and they can now only work 5 days a month. That allows them to be really picky. And, they can accept your job, find something better and then back out of the preaccepted job at the last minute (or forget to back out....). It is causing me a lot of frustration. I am in a job that gets a sub, but half of my days or even more have not gotten a sub, well, at the last minute the sub has not shown, which is even worse. So, write plans, donít get used...
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-26-2019, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm a sub who's not working very much right now due to taking care of family members. But I'd say we have a "medium" level shortage where I am. A lot of our subs are moms looking to work the same hours as their kids. - So that means we especially have trouble getting high school subs, as it's a different building and starts earlier.

When I was working more, I would occasionally get pulled in elementary (for instance, if I signed up for a push-in SPED position, but there was a classroom without coverage) but most of the time, those slots were filled. (The exception would be at the end of the year, when the sub budget ran out, and they would just split up an uncovered class into neighboring rooms.)

I do think subbing is getting harder for those without a lot of experience. Kids' are definitely changing with the times (in behavior and skills) and subbing has always been a little like "the first day of school every day" so it can be really tiring. I personally think that's balanced out by avoiding the "the 3 Ps" (paperwork, planning, and parents) but I'm not surprised that people are looking for other options.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 11-26-2019, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Go check out the substitute teacher forum if you want some insight as to why people bail on subbing.

I sub once in a while but not very often anymore. I got tired of the bait & switch. "You accepted an assignment for 4th grade but now, 10 minutes before the kids come in, we're going to switch you to Kindergarten. Good luck with those 25 pages of sub notes." "Oh, you drove a half hour to get here for a full day job. Gosh there's been some mistake - it's only a half day." And I got tired of kids who didn't belong in a regular classroom. If I accept a job for intermediate regular classroom, I don't expect to be dealing with a kid who defecates in his pants or who throws furniture so I have to evacuate the other kids from the room.

I know that one of the districts I quit working for combines classes when they can't get subs. I feel bad for the teachers and students because I know they don't have any control over the bad decisions that make it such an impossible school for subs. But, I don't really need the money and I definitely don't need the abuse.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Thank you Tori...
Old 11-26-2019, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Let me add this ďthe sub for X grade cancelled, didnít show up, no one took the job.Ē So guess what, you get to take 1/2 of X grade and cram them into your classroom where there isnít enough desk/table space and by the way you get every one of the behavior challenged ones. The teacher that is taking the other 1/2 gets a $125 stipend and doesnít want to deal with them. Oh yeah one more thing, you get to do yard duty for the teacher with no sub and the teacher you were covering. Bathroom break?

We have a severe sub shortage in my area. Iíve been at this a long time because it was the only job that allowed me the ability to raise my kids, deal with DH work schedule and help with aging parents/in-laws. Kids have changed but believe me so have schools. We are in an age of no boundaries or consequences and students are suffering for it. I got in trouble a few weeks ago because I made a second grader cry because I asked her to pick up the crayons under her chair. I didnít say it with a smile. DS finishes grad school in September and I am out of here.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Critical shortage.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We have a critical shortage district-wide.
Subs here get $150/day. Long-term (must have teaching cert) get $255/day.

Our problems: subs that take a job, then cancel at the last minute. As long as they cancel 1 hr before the job starts, they're fine. So a sub can cancel at 7:30 for a 9am job, but no one else is going to pick it up.

Subs that cancel a half-day job for a full-day.

Crappy subs. One sub sat in my classroom all day, let the kids do nothing but play on the computers (completely unsupervised), and told them to be quiet so he could make personal calls on his cell phone.
We have another sub who is legally blind with a guide dog. She can't even see the kids, much less manage a classroom. She filed a suit under ADA, so we can't touch her. Our teachers can put subs on a do not call list, so that limits the subs that can see our jobs.

We have combined classes, principal taking classes (she taught PE yesterday), basically any available staff member taking covering classes
MissAgnes is online now   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 11-26-2019, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Subs in my district have removed their names from individual buildings. (Many say they will never again work in the Junior High.)
If I'm sick, I'm going to stay home. It can concern me whether or not the position will be filled but I can't take on the responsibility for that.

I'd never sub. I'll tell ya that!
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-26-2019, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My school has a full time sub on campus. If there aren't any teachers out that day (which is very rare) she helps with pe or admin duties. We also have a few of our after school workers that will sub. Often our teacher tutors will be pulled to sub if they can't find anyone. The hardest one is getting subs for our SPED aides. Subs aren't abundant, but we've never had to split classes.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Shortage of subs
Old 11-26-2019, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I retired in June and there was a shortage of subs when I taught. If a sub didn’t show up, we had to split the class. If I had a fever, I stayed home. There were a few emergencies when I had no sub and my team had to take my students. Emergency such as my MIL suddenly passing away or my DS was in a car accident.

Having said all that... my former co-teachers told me about the new teacher. In the past 2 months she has missed 10 days. This is a kindergarten teacher and she has not been there to show the little ones the routine. She is either out of town or suffering from some mysterious illness that clears up by Saturday. I was told that she will post her absence at the last minute therefore subs don’t see it until it is too late. I feel bad for my friends. I know. I know. It’s not my circus. Still I feel they are being abused.

Last edited by LaFish; 11-26-2019 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 11-26-2019, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We're under 50% of jobs filled. Like others have mentioned, a planned absence will often be covered, but not the day of. My interventionist is supposed to be running reading groups. She's seen them maybe half a dozen times since the year began. She is ALWAYS being pulled to sub. It's really frustrating.

But the district won't pay decently and won't offer benefits and subbing is really hard work. I'm not surprised they can't find people.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 11-26-2019, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

What state offers $255? I thought I got paid pretty well, but it’s def not enough. No one wants to sub because we get treated like crap by the kids, the staff and even fellow teachers. I had a tough class in a bad school a few weeks ago and no one gave me a heads up about how horrible the class was. All the teachers owned up to it afterwards, why not tell me before so I can prepare and concentrate on the kids that really need extra attention? The teacher had pretty much given up on the class and left me the actual worksheet instead of actual sub plans. Guess what? Not going back to that horror show.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Alaska
Old 11-26-2019, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We get paid pretty well in general.
I always own up to my students in my sub plans. I give detailed information about any students that might be difficult, triggers, strategies, etc.
I am rarely out, because I feel that my students need the consistency of the teacher in the classroom. Thankfully, I rarely get sick, so any time I'm out it's because of training -which I try to keep to a minimum, too.
I hated subbing. I really try to treat any subs in our building with respect. It's tough.

We have several subs who say they like subbing at our school because the staff is very welcoming and helpful.

Tiamat

Old 11-26-2019, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We are desperately short here. They have to be fully qualified teachers and are well paid ($350+ per day) but they donít exist. Our beet pool was retired teachers earnings big of pocket money but the state said they all had to do 100 hours of PD to keep their licence and they all looked at this requirement and their forty years of experience and stopped teaching. We have a town with five large and about six small primary schools plus three big schools and we have three working subs.
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 11-26-2019, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

100 hours of Pd is Effin ridiculous. They had to drop the requirement in my state because subs refused to do it. They should wave Pd for people who are still trying to get teaching jobs. I need 75 by May and it’s going to cost me at least 1500. I seriously regret getting involved in this profession every day.

Last edited by Fractured; 11-26-2019 at 08:11 PM..
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote
FrostbyteTea

FrostbyteTea

Old 11-26-2019, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

The long term sub pay in Alaska actually went up to $265 for those with a cert, and LTSs receive it starting with the first paycheck. At least this was the case when I taught long term last year before being hired.

Beach Glass

Subs
Old 11-26-2019, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Our sub pool is so shallow the fish are dying!!!

Our certified subs only get $65/day. This amount has not changed for over 12 years. AND, when our school district went from a 5 to a 4 day week with longer days, they never changed the substitute rate. There is NO substitute booklet, no training, nothing to prepare non-educators. A lawsuit waiting to happen.

I am retired now, although I have subbed at times for my old 6th grade colleagues when they were in real need.

I won't anymore. Just not worth it. Don't get paid enough to put up with some of those kids.

It is so wrong for our district to treat substitutes they way they have.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Oh wow!
Old 11-27-2019, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Even better. I was just going by what I'd seen before. Pretty decent money.

kitekrazy

Old 11-27-2019, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I sub every day since it is my income. I'm certified and waiting for the right opportunity to come along.

Most requirements for subs are only a college degree. Most teachers don't realize subs are not conditioned to taking crap from kids like you have. If it's a bad experience they don't come back. They don't have the tolerance level you have.

Subs network and share their bad experiences. Sometimes it's not the class behavior but also the teacher. I keep track of my bad experiences by having a Bad Jobs folder in my email.

IF you think it's about the pay it is NOT! One district increased their pay and any subs familiar with the district have some schools on their blacklist.

What have been really different for me is starting last year there would be times I would stay home. This is my income. Kids have gotten worse.

Why is it we think solving the problem is throwing more money at it?

The issues that will continue to be ignored as there is less accountability for parents, and children. There is no shortage of lame ass admins. There's definitely no accountability for them when it comes to the student body and teacher turnover.

BTW less people are entering education. Bagging groceries is better than what teachers put up with.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

60 Credit Hours
Old 11-27-2019, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

My district requires 60 credit hours to substitute for a teacher. That is more than the high school diploma the state requires. The pay is $14.50/hour which is not very good for northern VA.

There is an increasing problem finding/having enough substitutes to fill vacancies.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Violet123

Violet123

Sub shortage
Old 12-01-2019, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Yes...Iím a 6-8 Middle school special ed teacher and not only do we have a sub shortage but we have the same teachers out all the time!!! So, we doing a ďpatchwork ď system. Meaning..classes going to library or combining classes. Which is frustrating for the office to figure but what really bugs me is that the gen ed staff always takes priority so if the special ed teachers scheduled a day out and created sub plans, confirmed with the office and then a gen ed teacher calls out sick..they give them our sub and send our students to the library..with no sub plans. So creating plans was a waste of time. Itís very frustrating all around. So,yes, we are experiencing a sub shortage too.